GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 09:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Yo-Yo stops  (Read 1274 times)
Dolphinboy
Trade Count: (+15)

« on: July 19, 2011, 10:02 AM »

Sky Sport Design (Lam Hoac) has some new Yo-Yo stops available. You can get them installed when you order a new kite Smiley They have multiple line catchers on one unit in case you miss the first stopper, you will still catch the lines. I have seen many kites with multiple stoppers but I have never seen any all in one units and have often wondered why this hasn't been done before. It's a good idea especially for multi roll ups.

I haven't used the new stoppers yet but I'm getting a set to try out. I'll post some thoughts after I have had a chance to use them a while.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
A few kite videos YouTube / Vimeo (Yes, I am a Slacker)
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 10:15 AM »

It might work well but it looks very lethal to me.  I cannot imagine if the kite hit someone in the face or body at high speed.  It might cause serious body harm.  The 'claw' looks very sharp.  I hope you have enough insurance coverage. Lips sealed 

My DIY rollbars(inspired by Benson design  Cheesy) are much safer to the audiences and myself.  Grin
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 10:30 AM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
Dolphinboy

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 10:18 AM »

They do look pointy.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 10:49 AM »

It is the first time I've seen a yoyo stopper that complements the angular look of the panel layout.

Although I would expect the kite pilot to have a huge mohawk and multiple piercings.  Huh

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 11:04 AM »

Inspiration ?

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 11:08 AM »

No rolling the kite sail around those things and stuffing it in a bag full of kites either!

Looks like they require a pretty long cut out in the leading edge fabric, I see Lam bridged that opening in at least one place in your photo's. Could it possibly be attached external on the LE fabric with just some slots to slip the ends into so the line can't get under the edge? But that would take multiple zip ties which sort of negates the need since the zip ties can work as an acceptible catchers themselves. I'll be interested in your review when you get them but my first impression is that they are a solution that develops as many problems as they solve.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Dolphinboy

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 11:24 AM »

If you are retro fitting a kite. Just make a cut (slit) at each end and slip each end in. The stopper rest on top of the LE fabric. Then zip tie the top in the same hole where the old stopper was.

John, They do look kind of cool  Cool on the Transformer Vent.

Mike, kind of looks like a modified version of that

Mike (chico) Lam told me to fold not roll the kite up when you have these installed. They should be fine if you put your kite in the sleeves in your bag, otherwise be careful.

Really, I won't know much more until I've given them a good try myself.

James -
Grants Pass, Oregon
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2011, 12:16 PM »

This looks a production version of something Lam has been doing to his kites for some time.

My Trans. Vent has his custom 'beads on a carbon spar' claws and they work very very well.  These installed in addition to the main yoyo stopper, which I imagine you could also do with these new claws.

I can't wait to get a set and try them out.

6 kite tom
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2011, 12:55 PM »

There is nothing new under the sun.  The whole stunt kite thing is also inspired or evolved from an old Chinese invention thousand of years ago. 

It was called a kite or 風箏 in Chinese written words.  Cheesy

History(From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
Kites were used approximately 2,800 years ago in China, where materials ideal for kite building were readily available: silk fabric for sail material; fine, high-tensile-strength silk for flying line; and resilient bamboo for a strong, lightweight framework. Alternatively, the kite authors Clive Hart and Tal Streeter hold that leaf kites existed far before that time in what is now Indonesia, based on their interpretation of cave paintings on Muna Island off Sulawesi.[12] The kite was said to be the invention of the famous 5th century BC Chinese philosophers Mozi and Lu Ban. By at least 549 AD paper kites were being flown, as it was recorded in that year a paper kite was used as a message for a rescue mission.[13] Ancient and medieval Chinese sources list other uses of kites for measuring distances, testing the wind, lifting men, signalling, and communication for military operations.[13] The earliest known Chinese kites were flat (not bowed) and often rectangular. Later, tailless kites incorporated a stabilizing bowline. Kites were decorated with mythological motifs and legendary figures; some were fitted with strings and whistles to make musical sounds while flying.[14][15][16]

After its introduction into India, the kite further evolved into the Fighter kite known as the patang in India. In India annual kite running competitions are held every year on the day of Makar Sankaranti.

Stories of kites were brought to Europe by Marco Polo towards the end of the 13th century, and kites were brought back by sailors from Japan and Malaysia in the 16th and 17th centuries.[17] Although they were initially regarded as mere curiosities, but by the 18th and 19th centuries kites were being used as vehicles for scientific research.[17]

In 1750, Benjamin Franklin published a proposal for an experiment to prove that lightning is electricity by flying a kite in a storm that appeared capable of becoming a lightning storm. It is not known whether Franklin ever performed his experiment,[18][19] but on May 10, 1752, Thomas-François Dalibard of France conducted a similar experiment (using a 40-foot (12 m) iron rod instead of a kite) and extracted electrical sparks from a cloud.[18]

The period from 1860 to about 1910 became the "golden age of kiting". Kites started to be used for scientific purposes, especially in meteorology, aeronautics, wireless communications and photography; reliable manned kites were developed as well as power kites. Invention of powered airplane diminished interest in kites. World War II saw a limited use of kites for military purposes (see Focke Achgelis Fa 330 for example). Since then they are used mainly for recreation due to a vast improvement in technology.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 04:07 PM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change