GWTW Forum
April 17, 2014, 05:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I broke my center T in my beat-up Fearless a few days ago. I installed...  (Read 3052 times)
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« on: July 17, 2011, 10:02 PM »

.....a 'flexible' center T(rubber?) in it and I don't like it at all.  I found the Fearless was not as controllable as before and needed bigger input to do the same trick.  The Fearless used to have a 'rigid' center T made of hard plastic.  I think I need to find a hard plastic center T ASAP.  What do you think ?

« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 11:19 PM by JimB » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 10:14 PM »

I believe an OEM center tee would be most appropriate, in this case..........not a hard object to find....Our host could set you up right away, if you approached him.  Wink

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
cids

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 10:35 PM »

I just remembered that I ordered 3 Fearless STD center T directly from Lam for my kite pal approv. 1.5 years ago.  He used one and there are 2 left in his stockpile.  I think I'm getting it from him since he is not flying his Fearless anymore.

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 10:43 PM »

Hey, buy his whole Fearless. Then you'll have a back-up for your backup Roll Eyes
cids

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 10:47 PM »

Actually I already did that...my White Fearless STD was his kite.  Cheesy

Skywatch 1 wind meter
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 10:51 PM »

Lam has a new centerT that he has designed - he put one in my latest Transformer.  Get one from him, it is sweet.

6 kite tom
cids

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 10:55 PM »

Actually I saw it a few days ago when Tempest received his new Transformer SUL.  It looks very well made but I still like to get the original one.

Skywatch 1 wind meter
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 05:04 AM »

I recently let a new pilot fly my FVL, and he crashed it pretty hard into the ground a few times. I took it out of his hands when I realized the upper LE was broken at the nose. I replaced the ULE, but now the kite flies like crap. It is very hesitant to go nose away, for a flic flac or to start into a 540. It feels like a regular mooshy vented kite now, in other words. I know it used to be a lot better, and I couldn't see what was wrong. I'm considering sending it back to Lam, unless there's something I overlooked ?

~Rob.

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 07:15 AM »

I've heard rumors Lam glues weights inside some of his spars, check your old one and see if there happens to be something glued inside, if so split it open and get it out to put in your new spar.

Maybe one of the other guys can confirm that.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2011, 07:51 AM »

Lam told me the best way to find the wieight in his kites was to use a magnet.......run it around and it will 'point' you to the spot to remove it from (the weight, ie)

Hope you kept the LE, if not check the other side.  Cry

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
RobB

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2011, 08:07 AM »

I've replaced the ULE before on the kite after it got mooshed in the waves last fall. It flew fine after that. I think the repeated pounding it took into the ground must have shifted something else, but I was unable to see it by eye out in the field. I have to take a ruler to it, but I was just wondering if there is something specific that might be out of line causing the poor flight characteristics.

Needless to say, I'm not handing the lines off to someone I don't know anymore... he said he knew how to fly...  Cry

~Rob.

cids

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2011, 08:35 AM »

I recently let a new pilot fly my FVL, and he crashed it pretty hard into the ground a few times. I took it out of his hands when I realized the upper LE was broken at the nose. I replaced the ULE, but now the kite flies like crap. It is very hesitant to go nose away, for a flic flac or to start into a 540. It feels like a regular mooshy vented kite now, in other words. I know it used to be a lot better, and I couldn't see what was wrong. I'm considering sending it back to Lam, unless there's something I overlooked ?

~Rob.

No need to send it back to Lam.  I believed there is no weight in the ULE(my Fearless STD only)....not sure about your FVL.  I think the tail weight at the bottom of the spine(inside) shifted forward and it will affect the flight performance of the kite.  Check it.  If it is not 'flush' with the end of the spine, then it shifts forward.

The tail weight of my beat-up Fearless STD shifted forward 1 inch before and it flown like crap.  After I adjusted its position,  it flown and tricked normal again.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 08:37 AM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2011, 08:44 AM »

I've replaced the ULE before on the kite after it got mooshed in the waves last fall. It flew fine after that. I think the repeated pounding it took into the ground must have shifted something else, but I was unable to see it by eye out in the field. I have to take a ruler to it, but I was just wondering if there is something specific that might be out of line causing the poor flight characteristics.

Needless to say, I'm not handing the lines off to someone I don't know anymore... he said he knew how to fly...  Cry

~Rob.
  Cids may be right but IME if the tail weight inside shifts toward the nose it makes the kite more precise.  The FVL TOnycarl has not only has a weigh inside the spine but a tube weight as well.  IF it hit hard enough the inside weigh could have shifted ABOVE the center t and above the static balance point.  That will definitely make a kite hard to pancake.

As for the unknown flier I always ask what they have flown incase I need to tout the differences in the kites before handing off the lines.
cids

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2011, 09:01 AM »

The 'tail weight' inside the spine shifts forward a little bit every time you hit the ground.  It is important to check its position before any serious tricking session.  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 11:49 AM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
RobB

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2011, 03:45 PM »

Thanks, Guys. I bet yous hit the nail on the head. Now I just have to find something long & stiff enough to tap that internal weight back into postition. I hope that's it...
It's been a couple months since I flew it, and I didn't think my feel for the kite could've worn off that fast.
I figured I would send the FVL back to Lam if I can't figure it out, because I do need the nose patched on my original Sea Devil, after 4+ years of abuse, the spine finally poked through.
I'll let yous know how the weight issue pans out...
Thanks,
~Rob.

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography