GWTW Forum
August 01, 2014, 09:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I broke my center T in my beat-up Fearless a few days ago. I installed...  (Read 3294 times)
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2011, 03:56 PM »

I keep a 3/16 steel rod in my parts box for just that kind of thing.
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2011, 09:00 AM »

See diagram:
This is how Lam position the tail weight in my Fearless STD...He uses a few pieces of semi-soft black rubber and jam packed them at one end of the tail weight in order to secure it inside the spine(preventing the tail weight front moving forward).

You need to take out the rubber and then reposition it according to the diagram.  Problem solved.  Cheesy

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2011, 10:01 AM »

Thanks for the post, cids.

I haven't had one more yet, but was told you can just 'stuff more weight in' if you want to.

6 kite tom
cids

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2011, 01:10 PM »

You are always welcome, tpatter.

I have been thinking about this 'new invention' for a while now.  By adding a tiny coil spring between the tail weight and the soft rubber,  this might prevent the tail weight from shifting forward since the spring acts as a shock absorber.  Problem solved.  May be or may be not.  Cheesy

« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 01:18 PM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2011, 01:16 PM »

Instead of the spring couldn't you just use a short piece of Bungee Cord?

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
cids

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2011, 01:21 PM »

Bungee Cord is good too.
Any material that can absorb the impact(+ its shape unchanged after impact) of the tail weight is good candidate for this application.

Skywatch 1 wind meter
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2011, 01:28 PM »

Thanks for the info, Cids. Now I just gotta find a minute to check out my internal spine weight...

cids

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2011, 02:24 PM »

You are welcome, RobB.

I like the color of your Super BLOOD RED FVL.  Smiley

Skywatch 1 wind meter
RobB

« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2011, 04:03 AM »

OK, so it looks like you guys were right about the shift of the weight. It seems to have lodged itself right above the center T. Problem is... can't seem to move it, up or down. I guess using the upper spreader as a ram is probably not a good idea. It's what I had out in the field...
But thank yous for the good information, I'm not ready to retire the FVL, but the way it was flying, I didn't want to fly it anymore...

~Rob.

RobB

« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2011, 06:39 PM »

OK, so I tried again today to move the weight, one way or another, using a pretty stout solid fibreglass rod. I banged the crap out of it, but didn't get one mm of movement... I really couldn't exert much more force on the spine without risk of damage. Whatever's in there is ~10 cm long, and situated at the center T and above. It's a puzzler... I know if I get out the 'big hammer', I'm going to break something...

WTD?

~Rob.

justinpwheeler
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2011, 06:47 PM »

Add a little heat?
Ca Ike

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2011, 06:55 PM »

OK, so I tried again today to move the weight, one way or another, using a pretty stout solid fibreglass rod. I banged the crap out of it, but didn't get one mm of movement... I really couldn't exert much more force on the spine without risk of damage. Whatever's in there is ~10 cm long, and situated at the center T and above. It's a puzzler... I know if I get out the 'big hammer', I'm going to break something...

WTD?

~Rob.
10 CM sounds about right since the tube weight on the FVL I tried out was that long.  FIrst off if you hit it from the top the rubber stopper Lam uses is going to take the majority of the blow, the rod will absorb some as well.  Also any glue that was used is going to act like a wedge.  A good solid steel rod works best as the "anvil" but taking the spine and hitting the tail end agains a hard surface should do it.  After all thats how it got moved up in the first place.  Some times a bit of warm water will help  lube it.  Heat will just expand the weight and make it tighter since the spine rod won't change if you heat it too much.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2011, 08:02 PM »

Have you tried a hard quick rap with a hammer (on the fib. rod, of course)?

6 kite tom
coogee
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2011, 11:42 PM »

Try using a lubricant, say diluted detergent, leave it to penetrate. Then get a rod that fits inside the spar place in in the spar snug against the weight and drop the rod  onto a solid surface. Sorta pool ball effect. Look to see if the spar has any taper, you may be wedging it harder if the spar is tapered. Heating with a hair dryer may also help. Don't be shy if it breaks replace the weight in a new spar and go flying.
    Good luck Mike
Ca Ike

« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2011, 12:05 AM »

Oh I almost forgot.  IF  you do try to tap it out with a rod again a pen cap or the plug can help protect the spar end from damage.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document