GWTW Forum
April 25, 2014, 12:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I broke my center T in my beat-up Fearless a few days ago. I installed...  (Read 3116 times)
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2011, 04:43 AM »

Well, if I had another P2X stick, breaking it might be an option... but since I don't, and my supply order just left Chico Kites... not on the table. I just doesn't make sense that it should be stuck, it broke loose to get where it is, right ? P2X isn't tapered, so it should slide out either up or down, right ? I didn't try a hammer, but I did beat it on the pavement, and beat on it enough to splinter up the end of the fibreglass rod.
I'll keep my eye out for something metal to slide in there, and maybe try some penetrating oil... I think Anthony is right about the addition of heat, that the metal weight will expand and get stuck worse. I guess I really need to come up with a plan B... I can probably steal a P200 stick from another kite, that's the same as P2X, right ?
~Rob.

st3307
Trade Count: (+29)

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2011, 07:35 AM »

Hey  Rob   try finding  some  one   that  is a  shooter   of   weapons  and   borrowring    a  cleaning rod  off  of them  and  use  it  to       hit the  weight     

Good air always Bobby
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2011, 07:50 AM »

A P2X is just slightly heavier (.5 gram) & slightly stiffer (about 8%) then a P200, but I doubt you could tell a difference.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
RobB

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2011, 08:01 AM »

Hey  Rob   try finding  some  one   that  is a  shooter   of   weapons  and   borrowring    a  cleaning rod  off  of them  and  use  it  to       hit the  weight     

Thanks, Bobby, but I don't know anyone with guns...

and thanks, Mike, for the heads up on the P2X vs. the p200... that will be my plan B.

mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2011, 11:28 AM »

Any well stocked hardware store or lumber yard will have steel bar available (also known as a crown bolt but unthreaded is more suitable for your use), 3/16" round will fit through any straight P series spar just fine and will have enough wieght to knock most anything loose. Usually comes in 36" lengths for $3 - $4.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202183509/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

And when you're done with it cut in into 3 x 12" lengths and attach antique crystal door nobs to them for some classy kite stakes  Grin

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2011, 11:41 AM »

Also take the external weight from around the outside of the spine and get a length of heavy brass in that same size so that you can cut a few lengths in order to add more weight if you like.   The lighting-fast yoyos of the Transformer have spoiled me, so I've added a bit of weight to my Fearless.  Smiley

I have not checked my FVL, but all my other Fearless have P200 spine, so no issue there if you break your current P2X.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 11:47 AM by tpatter » Logged

6 kite tom
ko

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2011, 03:06 PM »

moisture could be the problem. lam uses a variety of materials for weight. at least 1 of mine uses threaded rod in the spine sooooo maybe corrosion ??? as in salt water bath's??I know this is not an answer to your woes rob. but after you get pissed and break it, let us know before you replace it ps i am with tom i added a bit more weight to my standard and like it even more. in any case GOOD LUCK
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 05:57 PM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2011, 06:00 PM »

moisture could be the problem. lam uses a variety of materials for weight at least 1 of mine uses threaded rod in the spine sooooo maybe corrosion Huh as in salt water bath's??I know this is not an answer to your woes rob. but after you get pissed and break it, let us know before you replace it ps i am with tom i added a bit more weight to my standard and like it even more. in any case GOOD LUCK
NOw this puts an interesting twist on things.  I was thinking glue residue but if you have dipped it in a lot of water or flown in moist conditions then corrosion is a factor.  if its brass or aluminum then the corrosion can be cleaned by a solution of baking soda and water.  IF its a steel threaded rod then wd 40 or some other penetrating oil is your solution.
RobB

« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2011, 07:41 PM »

Any well stocked hardware store or lumber yard will have steel bar available (also known as a crown bolt but unthreaded is more suitable for your use), 3/16" round will fit through any straight P series spar just fine and will have enough wieght to knock most anything loose. Usually comes in 36" lengths for $3 - $4.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202183509/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

And when you're done with it cut in into 3 x 12" lengths and attach antique crystal door nobs to them for some classy kite stakes  Grin

Thanks for that, Mike. I actually do have a box full of old glass doorknobs, that sounds like a good idea...

I think the idea of rust jamming the works up holds a lot of merrit, considering that a dip in the waves isn't uncommon at my beach, it's only 75'-100' wide at high tide. Almost half the wind window is over the water... I will try some WD or liquid wrench to try to break it loose. I still find it strange that it moved so far, and now is so super-stuck. Of course, it has sat around for almost 2 months before I got around to repairing it.

As far as adding more weight, I've had others suggest adding weight after watching it fly. I might do away with the internal weight system to avoid this headache in the future.

Thanks for all the feadback (and sorry for the hi-jack, Cids)!
~Rob.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography