GWTW Forum
September 02, 2014, 01:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4m kites?  (Read 3515 times)
thrasher
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 18, 2011, 02:28 PM »

has anyone ever heard of the manufacturer 4m kites? im on ebay and they have some quad lines for cheap and was wondering if anybody knew more about them than i do...

When the wind blows....My kite goes!

My Kites:

Prism Quantum Spectrum
Prism E3 Citrus
Prism 4D Red

HQ Rush 300
Skydog Dream On
cgregurich73
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 02:41 PM »

I've seen them on ebay and have never seen them at any festivals. So I'm not to sure..

My wife can't tell me to go fly a kite when shes mad at me now.

Whats in the bag?
 Hq baby tana 2002
 Revolution 1.5
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 03:36 PM »

If the prices are too good to be true or way below what you believe a good 4m should cost, stay away.

Let the buyer beware.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
bfranz
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 08:42 PM »

Well...

1. Vendor listed as Hong Kong, China.  IIRC that's where a lot of the Rev knockoffs originate.
2. Limited sales/feedback - total of 9 entries.
3. Do you really think you're getting a well made 4 M foil for $25? I know there a some bargains on eBay but really???
4. If the kite turns out to be junk, looks like they might exchange it for some lip balm or an eylash curler - there's a natural synergy between kite makers and cheap cosmetics.

I'd run away, run away, run away.... but, YMMV
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 03:38 PM »

Yeah 4mkites is a big seller of Rev clones, interestingly the feedback on the kites is good but most of the feedback has had the product made private so you can't see what was sold.

Nothing there for $25 though, I would heed the above advice and consider saving up another $100. I don't see where you're from but I do see you can get a 4 meter range quad power foil in the $300 range from shops here Stateside. And they are kites that are made by known manafacturers that have been in business for years.

Service after the sale is really worth the $100, one of the feedbacks on those kites is that the handles broke in 5 minutes, that's another $35-$50 plus shipping right there, now you only saved $30  Sad  if you're an AKA member you got that $30 off the purchase so you're at the same cost and got a quality kite with excellent after the sale service. Can't beat that.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 05:05 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2011, 04:40 PM »

If you are in the US, used power kites are available through the Buy/Sell section of www.powerkiteforum.com

If you are in the UK/EU, www.kitecrowd.com

If you are in the AU area, www.extremekites.com.au

If you are looking for new, most of the dealers that frequent the above forums can be contacted through the respective forums and generally have older models available on clearance.

Try to stick to known manufacturers Flexifoil, HQ, Ozone, New Tech, Peter Lynn, PKD, SkyDog, Slingshot, etc.

ATB,
Sam
Chooks

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2011, 05:34 PM »

The sewing is very neat and the colours look just fantastic!!! Very bright and cheery. A big plus here!!!!

They do not have the extra reinforcing in the centre of the kite at trailing edge. (Centre of the V) nor much at the trailing edge tips where the bungees go.

They fly pretty well really, for the price I guess. They do come with a spare spar and a couple of end connectors too.
The spars do the job and seem reasonable quality.

I inherited a 2.4mtr and its little brother the 2.1mtr from my mateís widow. (Poor Phil died of cancer Christmas day and never got to fly them.)
Remember that these kites are now about 9 months old, so not sure about the new models build.

The lines are pretty poor and wonít take more than a few wraps and stretch a LOT, which is a real pain.
I have just resorted to flying both kites on Laser pro gold.
In fairness, I have not used their Pro lines that they advertise, just these standard ones supplied with these kites. 

Their handles do the job but the foam is not rounded at each end. Itís just cut square and fitted to the handles. Just made by the kilometre I guess.

I'd say over all you are buying a 70% Revolution.
Would I sacrifice that 30% just on price alone?
NO WAY!!!!

They donít come out of the bag much at all, after the initial couple of days at the beach.

I go for the real deal every time. My VERY worn Rev 1.5 SLE with 1/4" spars, and a vented one as well.

Hope this helps, Chook 
thrasher

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 12:21 PM »

thanks for all the help guys

When the wind blows....My kite goes!

My Kites:

Prism Quantum Spectrum
Prism E3 Citrus
Prism 4D Red

HQ Rush 300
Skydog Dream On
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document