GWTW Forum
August 28, 2014, 08:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Broken Spine on NSE HW  (Read 1931 times)
steve.hobart
Trade Count: (+24)

« on: July 20, 2011, 03:13 AM »

Hi, I broke the spine on my NSE Hw at the centre t in 15 mph winds...I believe it is 6 mm structil..can the spine be replaced with 5 pt or will this change the characteristics of the kite?
Cheers
Steve
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 04:46 AM »

Hey Steve...
Take this for what it's worth, it's coming from a guy that thinks a QPro frame fits & works fine in the E3....
If the 5pt is a similar weight, and the hardware (center T, tail weight) fits, why not use it, at least until you can find the proper replacement. It's kind of unusual to have a tapered spar for a spine, but I've seen that before, too.
What is your goal ? Are you looking for something stronger, lighter, or is that just what you've got on hand ?
Whenever I talk about mods to a kite, people always bring up the subject that the kite designer knows better that me & I shouldn't mess with the design. Well, you can always put it back the way it was if it doesn't work as well or better, right ?
~Rob.

Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 05:23 AM »

Hi Steve,

F.A. here in the UK stocks structil, but thats probably not economic for you. Weight the spine you have and compare it with the weight of Skyshark spars, I would have thought something like P300 ( non tapered) might be better at approx 17grms for 82.5cm. You will probably have to use a new centre 'T' as the Skyshark spars are around 7.5mm for P300.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Craig

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 07:33 AM »

5pt is the stock spine on the NSE HW Icone version.
cids
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 12:40 PM »

Skyshark P90 would be a better substitute for your 6mm structil but the outer diameter is 0.275 in.(32.5in./10.5g.), where as your 6mm structil is 0.236 in.  I believed the weight difference is minimum and u will need a new center T.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 12:43 PM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Climax Protec 100ft./55Kg.
Shanti 100ft./90Lbs.(back-up)
Shanti 102ft./150Lbs. flying line sets
Slate color beat-up Fearless STD(Fearless SUL US, 3PT LS) - Main tricking kite
White Fearless STD(5PT) - Back up kite
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 01:14 PM »

P-90 for a spine in a HW ?
Really?

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
cids

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 01:20 PM »

P-90 for a spine in a HW ?
Really?

Denny

According to the info. from Steve, the 6mm structil's outer diameter is 0.236 in.  P90 is the rod with the closest outer diameter at 0.275 in.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 01:29 PM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
Hadge

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 01:21 PM »

Skyshark P90 would be a better substitute for your 6mm structil but the outer diameter is 0.275 in.(32.5in./10.5g.), where as your 6mm structil is 0.236 in.  I believed the weight difference is minimum and u will need a new center T.

Huh Huh....P90 on a high wind kite!!!! surely not!  An 82.5cm length of Structil weighs around 17gm..P90 weighs 10.5G! it would pop in no time. R-Sky now use 5PT as Craig says.

moderator: sarcasm removed
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 11:12 AM by inewham » Logged

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
cids

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 01:33 PM »

Based on the minimum info. on the 6mm structil given by the original poster.  The P90 is the rod with the closest diameter to the 6mm structil.  If the original poster supplied the weight of the 6mm structil, then the recommendation will be different.

My kite pal broke the spine on his NSE STD once and he had problem of getting the 6mm structil too.  At the end, he ordered the 6mm structil from Benson.

FYI. The 'F' kite is using P200 or P2X.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 01:41 PM by cids » Logged

Skywatch 1 wind meter
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 01:38 PM »

OD is but a small part of the equation.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 02:22 PM »

Steve ... If you want to keep it original I may be able to help.  What length is the spine? 
$18.00 shipped to Oz via first class mail.  Email me if interested.

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
steve.hobart

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 04:24 PM »

thanks for all of the information everyone. Thanks for the offer of assistance Steve.

I have actually found a couple of structil 6 mm lengths in my cupboard from a previous reframing excercice, so I have affected the repair like for like and it is back in the air.

I was considering using 5PT as a spine if I couldn't source structil easily (as I have plenty of 5PT's lying around) . But everything is ok now. Sounds though like 5PT could be a valid option though if it is used in the HW icone version....

I think I'll leave the P90 tubes to another kite !

Thanks again everyone.

cheers

Steve
steve.hobart

« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 10:03 PM »

Apologies I didn't mean to offend...:-)

Sorry

Steve
Danno419
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2011, 09:17 AM »

wow - what's with all the bad mouthing - jeez.
Its feeling like an episode of Degrassi the next generation 'round here.  Roll Eyes

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Hmmmm Talon vent or SUL next... decisions decisions.
inewham
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2011, 11:07 AM »

<Mod hat on>

Thats enough squabbling  Angry 

@everyone
cids was trying to help so stop giving him a hard time even if his help was misguided.

@cids
I know you were helping but  while a P90 might be the nearest dia. but its a very light spar designed for lightwind kites. Since the spine is one of the highest stressed spars  on any kite, it wouldn't survive for long in a high wind kite.

I'm deleting the name calling its not constructive.

I've spent 2 days migrating servers and haven't had much sleep so any more and I lock it.

@ Steve, if you want to go wrapped something like a P200/300 would be suitable or even a good quality 6mm pultrude would suffice. I've never been keen on tapered spines because the thin end is less stiff and a spine is subject to a big S bend in flight.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document