GWTW Forum
December 20, 2014, 06:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Working 540 landing's for this week-end...  (Read 1054 times)
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: July 21, 2011, 09:09 AM »

I went to the Beach nothing..No Wind.  Went to alternative near home. Had a touch.  I wanted to work 540 landing's so I worked in the heat and no wind.   :'(

Devin suggested more weight inmy tail Wednesday night whcih resulted in compleeing some lazy Susan's and turtle's... got one rung of Jacob's Ladder.  Cheesy

The little Creep-O' pushed more last night.. resulting in damage to my Widow Maker .  Jon was back onsite once again.. Nice to have him back.  Widow was fixed ten minutes later on site by Jon and Wayne.  Got to love it.

Mean time the little Creep-O' was flying the H out of the Solus..Of which I will use in high winds on Saturday if needed. 
 Then we flew Widwo Maker Ul's ..I was on 125 Dev was on 100...  We did some pairs for awhile till it was more fun to fly recklessly close to each other.  we manage to untangle lines in the air.   Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

But it is a WARNING  Embarrassed If you fly near the little Creep-O' do it at your own risk of getting better.

side show.wmv

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 10:19 AM »

If I may?

You are clearly getting better...but you still lack that true flat spin.  It ends regularly with one line under tension, which is why it ends with a sort of non-level position after 360 degrees (and nose away from you still), instead of slowly going all the way around 540 degrees and ending nose to you.  This will then give you the option of landing (2point), or pulling in the slack and flying straight up and out.

I also notice that you are left in a forward lunge position at the end.  While it's a great imitation of the Prism instructional video, it's not the easiest solution.  A relaxed two steps forward timed the same will result in more even slack (on both sides) during the spin.  You can then quickly step backward to recover and fly off.

Finally, I might suggest your pull is just a tad too long.  Instead, make it a little more punchy, and follow it up with more slack.  You want to start the spin with the tug, not maintain it at all. At 2:43, you can see clearly (I think I can) that had you pulled just as hard, but for a shorter time, the kite would have spun flat...but it's still being pulled well into 2:44, which when the kite is no longer in the position where the input results in spin, so the kite start to pitch from flat.

Maybe part of this is also not quite waiting long enough for the kite to truly stall in the flare.  You don't have to rush that part.  Flare till it hits the lines, slack one, tug the other...two step forward to allow spin...take it back.

I usually put both hands behind, then when I go for the flare, I take a step or two forward while one goes full forward, and one stops just after my hip, where it stops to wait for the other hand to fully extend...then just a bit more quick slack followed by the pop for the spin...walk forward immediately...take up slack to pull up.

obi
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 10:26 AM by obijuankenobe » Logged

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
Shane

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 10:28 AM »

You certainly are getting better. I like that flying spot as well as the beach we normally see you on. Great progress!! I agree with Obi, I think a tug that is more sharp followed by a step or two forward will give you a quicker, flatter spin. Can't wait to see more. Are you going to enter the VF this round? I was thinking about it    Wink Wink but I don't know if I can get 60-90 seconds of continuous footage...  Wink

Anyway, great job and you are getting better really fast!!
Shane

"Once you have flown, you will walk with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you long to return." Leonardo Da Vinci
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 10:38 AM »

I love my new nickname hahahahahaha. Thanks joe  Cheesy  can't wait till this weekend.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
vertigo2u

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 10:54 AM »

As always your input OBi is greatly appreciated.  I will apply what you said.  I believe I also understand what you are getting across to me.  The foot work has to be there... I hope after adding some weight to the tail it might help...  My inputs will probably change.  I will work at one snap and not tugging...  Thanks...

Thee little-Creep-O' suggested I pull my arms back near the end of the dive to create a snap and loss of air in the sail just at the snap.. seemed to help a lot yesterday.  The Widow just doesn't lay flat like the Mamba
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 11:06 AM by vertigo2u » Logged

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
inewham
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 11:39 AM »

Hope you don't mind another constructive criticism - try to pop less. As the kite flares out just *stop* the line, let the inertia of the kite hitting the end of the line initiate the spin.
The spin will be slow but *much* flatter and less jerky looking, then as you get more confident pop just a little, make it smooth, not a pop like an axel. GIve LOTS of slack.

Practicing 180s to a landing by just stopping the line will help you get a feel for it if it doesn't complete a full 540 to begin with.

John Welden
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 01:12 PM »

Practicing 180s to a landing by just stopping the line will help you get a feel for it if it doesn't complete a full 540 to begin with.

That's what I was going to suggest.

Only meant to be constructive criticism.

I see your fundamentals as being a bit weak.  Your 540's look like a robot is doing them. You're going through the motions, but not executing the trick with any real control. Go back to basics and develop more control; it will really pay off down the road.

vertigo2u

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 03:06 PM »

Thanks John.  I remember you telling me to go back to basic's.  I needed that weight in the tail.  every time I started practicing fades,turtles,  Things were going real bad.  Last night was a good night.  I didn't have any wind that day, but yu guys are right on.  Please any advise or criticism Is WELCOME... ( excluding Frazier). I will work on those points... But those basic moves have to improve.  Gonna work hard. Smiley

John Welden

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2011, 04:17 PM »

Thanks John.  I remember you telling me to go back to basic's.  I needed that weight in the tail.  every time I started practicing fades,turtles,  Things were going real bad.  Last night was a good night.  I didn't have any wind that day, but yu guys are right on.  Please any advise or criticism Is WELCOME... ( excluding Frazier). I will work on those points... But those basic moves have to improve.  Gonna work hard. Smiley

I cut you about a mile of slack for flying in that terrible heat.  Sooooo much harder.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2011, 09:07 AM »

Finally, I might suggest your pull is just a tad too long.  Instead, make it a little more punchy, and follow it up with more slack.  You want to start the spin with the tug, not maintain it at all. At 2:43, you can see clearly (I think I can) that had you pulled just as hard, but for a shorter time, the kite would have spun flat...but it's still being pulled well into 2:44, which when the kite is no longer in the position where the input results in spin, so the kite start to pitch from flat.
obi

I think obi is hitting it on the head there, I'm pretty sure I'm seeing the same thing in your axels also. Too much pull, or too long as obi put it, not enough tug/pop > release but I haven't gotten out to try it, I don't picture things in my head real well but need the lines in my hands. I know the Widowmaker can do the sweetest, flatest, slowest, full 360 axel when done right. I'm sure it can do the same in a 540. Steve is the local master at 540's & horizontal slots and he felt the WM was a 540 machine when he flew mine so know they are in there.

I do the type of axel I'm seeing in yours too and I've seen them in Devin's video's, but they aren't the textbook axel the Widowmaker is capable of.

Here's one of Steve's TTUL vid's with 540's, technically vertical slots entered from a slight diagonal, but it shows flat, slow & floaty, your WM can do these.

TrickTail UL doin' some 540's

« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 09:11 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum