GWTW Forum
April 24, 2014, 04:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interactive SLK help  (Read 1201 times)
bbtech
Trade Count: (0)

« on: July 23, 2011, 05:21 AM »

I own several Rok's from 4 ft. to 7.5 ft and a couple of traditional Hata style fighter kites. I would like to get another single line kite of the interactive type and would like recommendations from the group.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 06:37 AM »

By "Interactive" I'm assuming you're meaning controllable like your fighters?

If so the new hot category is in the low to no wind gliding type kites. Our host Chico Kites carries the Horvath line  here  
http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=67 
I don't have any personal experience with these but I think they are best in no or very light winds.

Steve also carries the Flying Wings Laima, Wala and Wala XL here
http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=7 
of these I only have experience with the Wala (Aerobe). The Wala's include a tail and may be flown as static single line kites when the wind is above a few MPH or can be flown as an active gliding kite in zero to light winds. I've only flown the smaller Wala myself, it is a pleasing static kite and once tuned to my liking I've had a lot of fun with it in very light winds when nothing else would fly.

If you want something that will require you're total concentration at all times like your fighters but in a large size Ken at Blue Moon Kites (link on the right) will build you a 61/49. This is a unique kite that will challenge you at every step, controllable but it also has a mind of it's own. I've flown fighters, Urban Ninja's, the Skate, and the Wala and the 61/49 is my favorite when flying by myself because of the challenge, I get bored with fighters unless in competition.

Windswept Kites, also linked on the right, carries the Plutz, another very interesting kite but I've never had a chance to fly one, I will say when I was drawing a design for myself it was very much like the Plutz so I look forward to seeing one in person someday.

You can watch some video's of all of the above on You Tube by searching for the name, kite - example: Horvath, kite to get an idea of what they offer.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 06:45 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 06:41 AM »

The walas and laimas from flying wings are economical and do pretty well...
The rsky birdx does very well - probably have to order this from Canada I do not think that any shops in states have any
Windswept kites (link on the right) has a Plutz or two left as well as Karl Longbottom's pterodactyls too.

There are a few more choices out there too.........Horvaths.....gingas -if you want to build one...search xUL here in the single line part of the forum....

Got a price range?
Shape preference???

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 06:50 AM »

LOL ... I was just editing to add the Plutz to mine, I hadn't forgotten completely  Wink

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
kiteslinger
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 08:08 AM »

Kathy Goodwinds tumbling star

cube's

Eo's
http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=37

triad
http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=35
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2011, 09:34 AM »

I have all those too Dave, I'll second them.

The Goodwin's Tumbling Star's are now being produced by Premier as the Super Nova, if it's as fun as Kathy's it's worth having in tha bag.

Prism's EO6 is another fun kite to take out and play with, or run out all the line in a smooth breeze and just let it fly. The Triad is an active flier too. Here's a fun Vid of Triads & EO's in a "tree train"

Crazy (kite) Train

Steve still has some Pop Can's in stock too, similar in size to the Triads' and small active kites that demand some attention.

http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=262

bbtech

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2011, 12:53 PM »

Thanks for the replies. These are the type of kite i was looking for. Too many choices it will be hard to pick one.

Terry
bbtech

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2011, 05:31 AM »

After watching videos I ordered a Wala (aerobe) from Chico Kites. It looks like a good place to start and isn't real expensive. If it's like my other styles of kites you can't have only one.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography