GWTW Forum
September 02, 2014, 02:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Older sport kite company?  (Read 2707 times)
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« on: July 24, 2011, 08:02 AM »

I have searched on through as much as i can find to (kitelife, sport kite mag, rec.kites, google etc) and have not been able to find anything......

Has anyone heard of an old company named Tri S Kite Company?
The tag has three address' on it with two of them being in Warren Mi, and one in Fenton Mi

Is there a chance that Tri S kite Company would now be known as Skyburner?Huh?
Anyone???
I have an email in to the Trennepohls as well...

r

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 02:46 PM »

here is a picture of the delight:

adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 03:41 PM »

I can't say yes or no, but I'd be floored if that was a Jon kite. Graphically, it doesn't look the rest of the SB line. Plus, I'm think I was told that the original skyburner was his first kite. That is a sweet looking kite though...  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 04:38 PM by adx1592 » Logged

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 04:17 PM »

I like that kite!

Allen, AKA kitehead
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 04:42 PM »

it is all painted.........
leading edges are those prospars (fiberglass/carbon stripey ones) and spreaders are Skyshark 3ps (iirc)

Magpiesfooty
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 04:50 PM »

Just looking at the design and of all the things that you have said about it, it would have to be at least '93 or newer in age.  I was very up to date with kites from 90 - 92 and I am not familiar with that one at all.  The whiskers, sparing and design would lead me to believe that it would be in a far newer date range.  Could be just a local kite guy that made a few kites.  It is nice looking though.  Have you flown it yet??

Take care,

Magpiesfooty.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 05:00 PM »

Oh yeah, Skyburner predates that kite. They started in like '90 or '91

I'd agree, that's a '93-'96 design.

Probably pulls like a truck and turns like a boat.

Is it for sale?  Tongue
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 05:02 PM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 05:32 PM »

It might be part of a new consignment lot..... Wink

I am going to guess it is not a single maker with the three address' on the tag....very cleanly made as well...
I will pull it back out for some more pictures.......

standoffs are held on with tiny bit so f string as they are the early 90s style with arrow knocks on one end and an end cap on the other....rubber tubing fittings...i would say half ounce ripstop....i would say it has been flown VERY little.....

hmm...

it did have a few other TREASURES along with it.........

rncembal
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 05:56 PM »

But I'd Email Jon the pic he may know it's origins

Remember before buying on Amazon use this link to help Steve!
http://tinyurl.com/kkid20
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2011, 06:22 PM »

i did......no answer yet.....maybe he is not completely back on his feet yet....

coop
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2011, 06:24 PM »

That thing is awesome!

Tappin on my EVO

TOTL Hawaiian Spinoff(2), TOTL Hawaiian Team(2), TOTL Windrule, TOTL NSR, HQ Passion, MEFM(Aust.), MEFM vented(Aus), MEFM(2), BMK Mamba, HQ Tramontana, NoNaMe, Stranger, Psycho, Atomic Wedgee, BMK Mantis UL, TOTL Sizzle
Magpiesfooty
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2011, 07:26 PM »

Just so you know, nearly everything pre 1991 was fiberglass with some offers in graphite tubing.  No real carbon at that time and graphite was just cutting it's teeth and mainly on foreign kites. The first kite that I got with 'Really Cool' new sparring (Other than my Rev I...) was my Guinea Wasp and that was purchased at the '91 KTA convention and it had .230 AFC's on it.  My North Shore, which is one of the very early ones, had two spines (heavy and light) and was framed in Easton Wrapped and that was VERY high tech at that time.  The kites from the UK started to have some of the Carbon stuff, like my Flexifoil Scorpion, (my first kite with dual standoffs...) the early skyburners and phantoms were out at that time. My Lite Flites had very small Graphite tubes for the frame.  the UK also heavily used the Carrington fabric. Nice stuff.  I digress.   

Have fun,

Magpiesfooty. 
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2011, 08:03 PM »

SB was 1990. One year before I was born.
That's still one of the most attractive kites I've seen lately though, hands down. Really nice.
He's mostly back on his feet, he flew the solus wednesday for a bit. Almost around with no cane and can do stairs a bit. He's getting a lot better. I'm just glad he's feeling good and is back around the shop  Smiley

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2011, 09:16 PM »

Hmm.  I remember a company back when I was in college in 92-93 that touted their silk screened sails but the name escapes me atm.  WOnder if thats where the "tri s" came from.  YOU have any pics of the tag you can post?  So many small makers building out of garages came and went back in the 90's that its hard to keep track.  You can try city business records from then to find a bit more info.
thief
Board Moderator

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 05:27 PM »

So....I learned a bit more from Missus Trennepohl (I generally do Wink )....
This kite is from a small kite maker....he sold his hand painted sport kites at arts/crafts festivals in Michigan.......
There are some detail pictures - follow the picture:

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document