GWTW Forum
April 20, 2014, 01:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Older sport kite company?  (Read 2478 times)
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 07:41 AM »

Interesting technique on the paint looks like some is brushed or spread with a rag and some is spayed. Do you think it is the Design Master paint or an Acrylic? I have sooo much white fabric but I'm not real found of a single color on duals, maybe I'll try that if a prototype works.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 08:33 AM »

Mike: i would say sprayed on with lots of masking....the nonsharp edges of the painting might be from the wet template/mask being put down.

if you head over to the Other Other place there is a number of threads about painting on fabric....
Scott Hampton prefers to use 1.5oz fabric for the best results....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 12:21 PM »

Interesting technique on the paint looks like some is brushed or spread with a rag and some is spayed. Do you think it is the Design Master paint or an Acrylic? I have sooo much white fabric but I'm not real found of a single color on duals, maybe I'll try that if a prototype works.

Actually I believe thats all hand painted.  THe sharp edges could be done with a painters art knife(fancy putty knife) and the feathered edges look like there done with a dry brush stroke.  The spotting is usually done by tapping the brush against a dowel just above the surface.   NOw though you can get similar results with an air brush.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 03:28 PM »

Airbrushes I have, and with no experience on them I'm sure anything I painted would come out looking something like that. Have never seen the Design Master in bottles though, Matt Brown was doing some very nice work with an acrylic though that was brushable.

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 07:07 PM »

There is definitely a learning process to air brushing but its not much harder then drawing and they have acrylics that you can use in an airbrush.  I haven't airbrushed a kite yet but I have done my own R/C bodies.  Here's a couple of my best airbrushed R/C paint jobs so you can see how intricate you can get if you want to.

By caike23 at 2011-07-28

By caike23 at 2011-07-28
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2011, 04:22 AM »

"Looks like design master by folding, crumpling, and or twisting the fabric then spraying you can get these types of effects. then refold again and get different layering. We've done similar effects in my workshop classes trying different tie die wrapping and folding techniques."
Scott Hampton's words on it. ...

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2011, 07:47 AM »

Yeah my Brother was doing some amazing airbrushing on Motorcycle helmets, that's why I invested in the brushes, compressors and regulator/driers, I've just never really used them yet. Oh I can't draw either except technical drawing, give me a scale, board and T-square and I can do magic (I have all that too), hand me a blank sheet of paper and a crayon and it'll look like a Kindergartner's work  Wink

Those are some nice jobs, inside paint on the clear acrylic bodies? I used to do slot cars as a youngster, nothing fancy like that though.

kiteslinger
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2011, 08:32 AM »

Yup! looks to be wrinkle  then spray in one direction then applied another color in the other direction...
 most of the items I sprayed the fabric bleeds out well before  the  paint master even starts to look faded...
here's a bag I did for Lee but I was going for the smokey look  I did another for George I think that one was more of the crinkle look
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography