GWTW Forum
November 21, 2014, 06:11 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Swap Meet PBSK Vanishing Point...  (Read 1536 times)
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« on: July 25, 2011, 04:01 AM »

Be warned... I can't get this kite to do much in the way of tricks, but it is a real sweet flyin' kite. I got this PBSK Vanishing Point and another PBSK Bad Boy UL by placing a wanted add in the swap meet. You just never know unless you ask, right ?
I want to thank the original owner, Bruce, for being so kind as to letting this beauty go fly on the east coast... thanks to Steve for helping put the parts together to get in back in the air, and also those killer 2 finger straps.
Enjoy if you've got a couple of minutes...

PBSK Vanishing Point... July 2011.

~Rob.

vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 06:07 AM »

Wink
Beautiful flying Rob....Nice 540's I saw they were flat, and I lopved the slides afterwards.  But the wings were dry after the end ..Confused Huh??  Water and Not one attemted "Jaws"... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 10:29 AM »

That looks like fun!

Glad you got the kites!

Thanks for the vid.

Allen, AKA kitehead
John Welden
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 04:39 PM »

VP is one of the sweetest flying kites of all time. Up there with Trick Tail UL and Vapor.

Nice flat spin to side slide at the end of the video. That's what I like to see.

Pitch stable kites are going to make a comeback.
ko

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 07:19 PM »

very nice rob and congrats!! probably time to pass that old prism along
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 07:50 PM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
RobB

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 04:36 AM »

Wink
Beautiful flying Rob....Nice 540's I saw they were flat, and I lopved the slides afterwards.  But the wings were dry after the end ..Confused Huh??  Water and Not one attemted "Jaws"... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Thanks, Vert... I really need to figure out how to turn those 540s into some Slots & Tazs. Still haven't gotten that nailed down... as far as taking the kite for a dip... I try not to do that with my UL kites, they're too fragile. The mylar QPro that I have is my submarine kite !

That looks like fun!

Glad you got the kites!

Thanks for the vid.
Light wind flying is a lot of fun for me... I feel like I'm getting away with something I not supposed to do... like flying a kite when there's no wind !  Grin

VP is one of the sweetest flying kites of all time. Up there with Trick Tail UL and Vapor.

Nice flat spin to side slide at the end of the video. That's what I like to see.

Pitch stable kites are going to make a comeback.
I've been keeping an eye out for a Trick Tail UL, seems that they're harder to find than even a Vapor. I like the way the Vapor flies better than the VP, but the VP seems more robust and less likely to get damaged on my rocky beach. The Vapor might also have a slightly lower wind range, I couldn't see flying the VP in any less wind than this.

very nice rob and congrats!! probably time to pass that old prism along
Thanks, Kurt. The Ozone actually gets flown quite a bit. I flew it with Sammy a couple weeks ago, it was fun to put it back in the hands of its previous owner. I don't think he misses it, though. I might be game to figure out a trade for that Inner Space...  Shocked

ko

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 07:21 AM »

thinking more along the lines of a larger even better flying prism, rob, old buddy old pal
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 04:06 PM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
Danno419
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 08:54 AM »

beauty 540's - sexy slides - thanks for sharing!

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Hmmmm Talon vent or SUL next... decisions decisions.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 11:47 AM »

I've been keeping an eye out for a Trick Tail UL, seems that they're harder to find than even a Vapor. I like the way the Vapor flies better than the VP, but the VP seems more robust and less likely to get damaged on my rocky beach. The Vapor might also have a slightly lower wind range, I couldn't see flying the VP in any less wind than this.

I've had a number of VPs, a couple of Vapors and recently a TTUL. There is a great variety of Vanishing Points out there. Some with Zero Gold spars that are really more of an indoor kite. Some of the later VPs were somewhat heavier that others due to the limited availability of really light sticks. One of my VPs was easier to fly in 0 wind than a Vapor, one about the same, and one heavier. The biggest difference isn't the wind range but the trickability. The Vapor pancakes and backflips way easier than other SULs of that era.

The TTUL is a very different kite. If you like the Vapor best, the TTUL would feel pretty strange. There's a learning curve for sure. Try before you buy if possible. I love mine, but I flew it's sibling the Utopia a bunch back in the day and knew what to expect.

Allen, AKA kitehead
RobB

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 06:39 PM »

Hi Allen...
My Vanishing Point was built as a 2P kite, but the lower spreaders were switched (they were both broken when I got it) to Response 12s, that I understood to have about the same weight as 2PT sticks. The 2Ps were no where to be found at the time, so I went with what I had.
I have since tracked down the 2Ps, but haven't switched out the R12s yet. I don't know if the few extra grams of weight holds the kite back, or maybe I haven't found the sweet spot for the bridle yet. It has no markings, and it flew really wonky when I first got it. I've played with it, it's gotten better, but still doesn't fly as easily as my Bad Boy UL. I guess it's just a matter of getting some more hours on the lines, and maybe I'll switch back to the 2Ps when I get a chance. I'll make that change sooner than later if you guys think the R12s are an issue...
Thanks...
~Rob.

DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 03:07 PM »

Nice video.
Nice flying too.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 08:02 PM »

Yeah, Response 12s might be the wrong spreaders in this case. The 12 is for 12 grams, which is about 4 more than a 2P. So the overall weight would make an unballanced kite and reduce light wind performance. You could swap the upper spreader for something heavier to re-balance, but then you have an even heavier kite. Aside from the weight issues is the increased stiffness. Spreaders that are significantly stiffer that the LEs will make that kite fly odd.

So, if low weight is the goal, go for the 2Ps. If it were my kite I'd use 2PTs for the spreaders. The straight 2Ps will be more likely to break at the center t than the tapered rods. Current 2PTs would be a gram or two heavier than the old 2Ps but I've flown my 2PT VP in too much wind several times with no failures.

I can measure my current VP bridle if you like. 

Allen, AKA kitehead
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum