GWTW Forum
July 24, 2014, 05:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SUL recommendations wanted please!  (Read 2671 times)
Katrina
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: July 26, 2011, 09:16 AM »

Hello all, I'm a rev flyer visiting your lovely board to learn about dualies.  I've been flying revs for a while now, but I know next to nothing about duals.  What I'm looking for is an SUL that can go way way down there, to just a whisper of a breeze, 1-4mph maybe.  After that I'll put my rev up.

What are your favorite precision SULs?  Price, I'm thinking I'd like to keep under $200-250.  Thing is, I don't know if I'm going to love duals or not.  Maybe I should start with a 4D for $95, fly it for  a while, and then decide if I want to drop $250+ on something much better.  Or go top of the line from the start, and sell it if spends too much time sitting in my kite bag. Dunno.   I already have 80 ft 90# laser pro gold lines in my bag, but I suppose I'd want 50# right? Please tell me about any SUL you love no matter the $, maybe I'll start with something and upgrade later. 

I'm past the crashing phase, having played around with the Xcel STarter I got for my kids.  The only other thing I have tried is the HQ Shadow.  It would actually fit my needs perfectly except its wind range isn't quite as low as I'd hoped.  But I really did like how it cornered, and what a nice price point.  I'm not thinking about tricking at this point.  Seems like if I were going to learn tricks, I'd want to learn on something other than an UL. 
Recs I've received so far are Prism 4D, Desire, Cavalier du Ciel STX 1.9 UL, Pro Dancer SUL.

Thank you!   Kiss

glider
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 09:24 AM »

Hi Katrina,

Welcome to GWTW.  A ProDancer SUL will fly when just about nothing else will.  The Prism Ozone needs a bit of a breeze but is a nice low wind kite.  If you ever see a Zerostar for sale grab it.

Dave
PDX

Katrina

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 10:07 AM »

Thank you Dave!  We have actually met a couple of times, BTW.  I saw you fly at WSIKF CAmas and LC.  I had the other purple indoor rev at LC.  And I think I was next to you in a megafly once.
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 10:18 AM »

For a 'Precision SUL' you can't get any better than the PDSUL. The only SUL I will fly for anything like that. If you like shorter lines and tricky stuff, but still great tracking, the Ocius SUL is fantastic. If your looking for competition though or anything like that, the PDSUL will make you happy and keep you happy for many, many years. Smiley Welcome to GWTW.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Hadge

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 10:39 AM »

To be honest the Shadow is hard to beat for the price. If you take out the wire weight inside the spine it will fly down to 1 1/2 - 2 mph without too much running around and there are not many kites in a similar price range that will fly lower than that. It's also a pretty good trick kite if you want to learn tricks. I use 65' 50lb lines with mine.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 12:00 PM »

Definitely get a 4D. A great, durable small indoor capable kite. Due to it's size it's best on short lines. I'm not sure what it comes with, but they are fine.

In your price range, full size SULs would have to be from the used market, but that's where the variety is.

The PBSK Vanishing Point is right up your alley.
The Blue Moon Mojo UL is hard to find but is really a SUL and flies very nice.
The Pro Dancer SUL is an excellent kite for long line ballet flying in low wind, but it's large size and low speed make it less fun on short lines. It is not an easy kite to do nice flatspins on. Fades and lazy susans are really tough. It's just not a trick kite. Very old design.

Allen, AKA kitehead
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 04:29 PM »

Hi Katrina

I've bought and flown just about every SUL available, always searching for the one that will fly in lighter wind than all the rest.

For a l-o-n-g time the "in case of no wind, break glass" kite in my bag was the Prodancer SUL.  It has the firmest pull on the lines of nearly all SULs in a given breeze.  It tracks brilliantly, but doesn't trick.

I enjoyed the HQ Shadow very much.  Slightly less pull on the lines than a PD, but definitely capable in very low winds.  More tricky than the PD (backspins monster!)

I've flown a Prism 4D recently - very capable in ultra light winds, but it is a small kite so it does everything rapidly and takes a bit of concentration to keep it smooth.  Great price point, though.

My favourite, (and unlike the others, still in my possession) the Benson Phantom Elite UL.  Mine is framed in 3PTs, but still pulls as strong as the 2PT framed PD SUL.  Just as graceful as the PD, but much easier to do basic tricks (REALLY flat axels, 540s, fades, slots, etc.)

It is a huge benefit if you can try before you buy.  I've bought some "SUL"s that fly in lighter winds than the same kite in UL and standard configuration, but don't come anywhere near the ones mentioned above in truly light winds

Hope this helps

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Smplcty
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 06:05 PM »

A 4D is a good SUL if your looking for something to start with and fly low. And I happen to have a lightly used one up for sale. PM me  Grin
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 09:58 PM »

Here's an indoor mix of a few of the kites mentioned above by Devin (adx1592) just try to remember that the PDSUL doesn't trick as you watch it comete  Shocked 

Skyburner Kites Indoor Showcase

Another kite you could consider, also made here in the USA is the Skyburner NikNak at $130, again it's not a modern trick monster but it'll fly in next to nothing with a little work and in Devin's hands it'll do more tricks then I can do with a "Modern" trick kite.

Skyburner Nik Nak

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 10:14 PM »

One of the classic learner SULs is the PKC Wren designed by Jeff Howard. Very user friendly.

I'm not sure if they are still being made, but a used one should not be too hard to find. Wind range 0-6mph.

A step up for Zero to 4mph is the Pro Wren. One of the truly nifty kite designs. Again this would probably have to be purchased used.
jaybett
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 10:18 PM »

Welcome to the forum,

The kites that I've enjoyed flying the most in low winds are Blue Moon Kites. They are larger kites, that load up nicely in light winds, and are very smooth in flight. Blue Moon's fly so well in light winds, that many a person has been fooled into thinking the winds are higher then what they are.

Blue Moon Kites show up quite often on the swap meet. Typically in your price range. The latest model the Mongoose is suppose to excel at precision. There is one currently for sale in the swap meet.

I'm in Vancouver, Wa I've got a Blue Moon Exile UL you are welcome to try. I try to fly at Delta Park twice a week.

Jay

Katrina

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 05:57 PM »

Wow, thank you for all of the suggestions. With each new post I'm pulled in another direction.  It seems there are simply too many options for me to gamble on a higher end one, until I have flown a larger number of kites than two.  I just don't know enough to base a decision on. All so tempting.

So at this point I'm leaning toward the shadow again.  And maybe after I've flown on that for a while I'll have an idea of where to go next.  I see now how you dual kiters end up with so many kites in your bags!  I know the shadow won't go down to the 0-2 range, but maybe that will be my next kite. And when I'm ready for that next kite, I will come right pack to this thread to go over all your suggestions again. 

It looks like AWOC has the shadow in stock still, and also a PKC wren.  Hmm.

Jaybett, thank you, I would love to meet up with you sometime.  will pm. 
Katrina

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2011, 06:00 PM »

If anyone has suggestions to add, please do-- like I said, I'll come back to this thread later on.  Higher end okay, by then I may be deserving.  Roll Eyes Wink
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 12:44 AM »

Just to let you know.

Whatever kite you get, you may have to adjust the bridle to get the kite to fly the way you want.

Many kites come with a bridle set on the "heavy" side so they will trick better. But that often makes them harder to fly in light wind.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
misterbleepy

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 01:33 AM »

a suggestion not yet made - Benson Inner Space - flies in next to nothing (or nothing with a little legwork) - fly it without straps, just on sleeved loops - when it starts to pull hard enough to hurt your fingers, time to go to a 'regular' UL.

Keith B...   ...leep     bleep     bleep
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document