GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 12:46 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SUL recommendations wanted please!  (Read 2952 times)
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2011, 03:04 AM »

+1 on the Inner Space; wonderfully floaty kite! And on sleeved loops is exactly how I fly it usually.

Craig
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2011, 06:55 AM »

What are your favorite precision SULs?

a suggestion not yet made - Benson Inner Space - flies in next to nothing (or nothing with a little legwork)

Whilst I'd never be without my IS, it's not what I'd call precise!
misterbleepy

« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2011, 08:33 AM »

What are your favorite precision SULs?

a suggestion not yet made - Benson Inner Space - flies in next to nothing (or nothing with a little legwork)

Whilst I'd never be without my IS, it's not what I'd call precise!

You're probably right there - it takes some concentration to fly clean straight lines and sharp corners with it.

I flew a Matrix SUL a few years back - that was probably more precise...

Keith B...   ...leep     bleep     bleep
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2011, 08:50 AM »

I've got a Blue Moon Exile UL you are welcome to try. I try to fly at Delta Park twice a week.

You should definitely try this one - its a UL, but it flys lower (with a loaded sail) than most full-sized SULs that I've tried.  The thing I like most about this one over the Shadow, 4D, Inner-Space, etc is that it pretty much feels like a full size Exile - no "twitchyness" or special handling required, just fly it like the standard but in less wind with more drive. 

If you like the loaded-sail feeling of the Shadow then you will probably like this kite as well.  It reminds me of the Shadow in some good ways (good low wind drive, loaded sail, older school but does new stuff as well), but bigger, better made, and more stable.  Ken's kites have a "smoothness" in flight that is hard to describe.

6 kite tom
David Kirk

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2011, 06:51 PM »

You're talking precision SULs and nobody has mentioned the Prism Vapor?  She could do some amazing precision flying with hers.

We still have it.  I won't sell it because it matches the Quantum Pro that was a gift to her from Mark Reed.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 07:03 PM by David Kirk » Logged
Ca Ike

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2011, 07:11 PM »

You're talking precision SULs and nobody has mentioned the Prism Vapor?  She could do some amazing precision flying with hers.

We still have it.  I won't sell it because it matches the Quantum Pro that was a gift to her from Mark Reed.
No it wasn't mentioned but your right it is a great SUL.  Unfortunately its also one of the hardest ones to get (took 2 years to find mine)and still one of the most expensive out there.  FOr what she is looking for the Vapor is a bit out of the realm of possibility
David Kirk

« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2011, 07:28 PM »

Her first one was a raggedy patched one that I didn't pay much for.  I suppose they were easier to find a few years ago.

I've got a North Shore Kona UL here somewhere.  Just try to find one of those!  It will fly great precision, but that's about all it will do.
Ca Ike

« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2011, 07:43 PM »

Her first one was a raggedy patched one that I didn't pay much for.  I suppose they were easier to find a few years ago.

I've got a North Shore Kona UL here somewhere.  Just try to find one of those!  It will fly great precision, but that's about all it will do.
YEa you can get rough ones once in a while for cheap but they tend to be RREEEAAALLLY rough.  I just recently spent 2 weeks restoring a vapor for Smeagol here on the forums.  Good shape vapors with no tears in the monofilm still run $300 and up and barely flown ones if you can find them go for up to $450.

YOur Kona ul is a rare prize. I'd put that on in the same realm as the vapor and PD SUL for precision and if you do it right it will do some basic flat spin stuff.
David Kirk

« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2011, 08:20 PM »

Where's John Chilese?  He has a nice shot of the Kona.  I also remember a beautiful shot of the NSR with the San Francisco Cliff House behind it.
Ca Ike

« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2011, 08:41 PM »

Here is a team that flies them.  THe have a nice pic up too.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/teamspectrumkites/Kites.html
David Kirk

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2011, 09:13 PM »

I found John's shot of the Kona.  I hope he doesn't mind if I post it.  It's been flown maybe twice.

I found that Cliff house shot.  It's an original TOTL NSR with a Wardley active bridle and Skyshark P400 frame by me.

In all our years of flying it, not one broken rod.  I flew it at the Seal Beach Kite Festival one year in a 30+ wind storm with a 100 foot tail.  Nobody else was willing to fly, but the show must go on.  We used a shorter top spreader for precision competition.  The leading edges actually bent inwards slightly.  It was more precise that way.   
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 09:59 PM by David Kirk » Logged
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change