GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 11:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Stepping on Kites  (Read 2212 times)
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« on: April 26, 2009, 10:35 PM »

Great day here in Seattle - fantastic weather and the wind was not too bad either.  This is the time of year when the kite field is crawling with folks flying all sorts of kites on nice weekend days, so it gets crowded.

It was a fun day of flying and my Fearless only got stepped on (kicked really) once while I was on the phone!  Smiley  My friend was not so lucky, his QPro was fairly well stomped on (by the same kid), but suffered no serious damage. 

In his defense, the boy was just learning how to fly a dual line and was doing the "back-up when the wind lulls but don't first check whats back there" maneuver.  I guess its best to just keep them in the air whenever you can!  Smiley

6 kite tom
Adicakes
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2009, 10:51 PM »

I've lost two kites to the heavy feet of others and it really stings Sad  I also stood on the G-Force spreader of my Elixir once when I was packing it up in the dark - very annoying.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2009, 11:01 PM »

I keep my kite bag in front of me about 30 feet. I use to have it behind, but would sometimes step on it myself.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Kitelife
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2009, 03:09 AM »

I hope someone took the time to work with that kid a little, providing him with some pointers as well as education on field of awareness?

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
REVflyer
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2009, 05:10 AM »

we have a saying in our local club; "Everything is the flier's fault!"

~ If you didn't want it stepped upon you shouldn't have left it out and available.
~ You picked the kite & crew, . ... how could anything be someone else's fault?
~ Leaving handles & lines laid-out on the field invites folks to walk thru them!
~ Don't complain about music, unless you are playing your own selection(s).
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2009, 05:13 AM »

Gotta say I agree with 'always the fliers fault'.  It takes more time, but NEVER leave a kite built that's not going in the air at that moment.  Same with lines, I just always roll them up when changing sets.

Even adults will step on kites if they are playing ball or running after a frisbee.  I just won't risk it now.  If and when anyone ever steps on my rollup bag...then I have a problem I guess.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
Kitelife

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2009, 05:17 AM »

Hear hear.

At the rev clinics, we say "we know more than they do, it's up to us". Wink

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2009, 11:53 AM »

The pits at a busy comp are a minefield for a klutz like me!

I learned my lesson early, and the hard way.  Cry

It was my very first comp and I was coming off the field after not embarrassing myself too bad in Precision (the Ballet that day was another story). While concentrating on getting my lines over the boundary without a snag, I planted a size 13 on a SUL team kite that was minding it's own business waiting for it's event. The crunching sound I will never forget.  Huh

Only three squished Skinnies and no sail damage. I got off cheap. The owner stopped freaking out when he realized the wind was up and he didn't need to be on the field with a SUL in five minutes. It all ended with smiles and handshakes.

Allen, AKA kitehead
King-J
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 06:38 PM »

I have not had to much of a problem with feet stomping, but I have had a few close calls with people and their Dogs, (Not on Leashes) one of the dogs made a beeline for my WM, I got it in the air before he got there but he did Managed to get in to the fly Line and snap the 50# Line, glade I didn't have anything stronger on, owners comment he probably thought it was a bird, my comment I don't think you would like to Pay for that Bird!

My Family, With More To Be Born                          
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2009, 07:18 PM »

my first real test was kp7 this year i managed not to step on any of john or allen's kites but got pretty close to inadvertently launching a couple of revs tripping around in the sand JEEEEEZ

have fun kurt
Kitelife

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2009, 11:54 PM »

My highlight of KP was taking out the whole of the 180GO! team while doing a 360 under and around the pier... Sorry again guys!

Talk about embarrassed.  Cry

John Barresi
Editor/Publisher
Kitelife Magazine
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change