GWTW Forum
May 26, 2015, 04:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: OK it's time  (Read 13758 times)
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« on: July 31, 2011, 09:03 AM »

time for a new topic here!! i have been flying for a while now. soooo i find myself just flying for the joy of it as opposed to constantly learning tricks (still do that though) anyway i want to square my corners off. i have plenty of muscle memory for push and pullturns,but it looks like i need to put these together, to really get a good snap turn. any help would be appreciated
thanks kurt     ps i have kites capable of great turns but unfortunately when these particular kites are mentioned the topic goes to h____l. so they remain unnamed lol

have fun kurt
AlexanderH
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 10:30 AM »

Hi Kurt

I would love to help you with square turns. Smiley We can meet at Hermosa Beach sometime soon and fly.
ko

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 03:55 PM »

WOO HOOOOO!!! if you dont already know alex is 1 of the best flyers on the planet. i think he may be able to help!! LOL see you soon alex

have fun kurt
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 05:21 PM »

This is your goal:

^
|
|
|
|
|____________

Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 01:12 PM »

One thing that has helped me with sharp turns is to put your hands together and while the kite is flying across the window, pull your hands to your chest.  When you initiate the turn, punch out hard with one hand and then bring your hand back and thump your chest.  Once you get your timing down on how much to punch out and how fast you need to pull back to your chest, you will get your sharp crisp turns.  By coming back to your chest each time, your turns will always be equal and it is much easier to do.

Next thing (and probably the best thing you could do) - fly with Alex and learn!

obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 02:41 PM »

First off, those that corner well are usually walking backwards.  Only in the steadiest of breezes can you stand still and pull off razors.  You need a full sail.

Then from the sounds of it you are a few hours practice away.  You just need to feel the push, push, pull.  Start first with the inputs way over exaggerated.  You'll see how the kite will stall and turn, then accelerate out of the corners.  This sounds like where you might be now. 

Now start working your way back to a combo turn.  When you start adding a bit of tension to the non-pushed lines with a combination of your hands and feet, they will really crisp up fast.

Then it's all about the quick fluid motion which can be created by the 2nd push (to even) and the parallel pull to accelerate out.  For me, it's that 2nd push where you can really change the feeling of the corner.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
ko

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2011, 05:32 PM »

jeeeeez John, no pressure there

thanx kent the only time i have my hands at my chest so far is for the "rising turtle" and sometimes in lite air the fade, I generally like to keep my arms down,so they have somewhere to go, but i have seen some vids of this style .seems to be a European thing??

thanks to you also OBI this makes a lot of sense although so far when i try this i either end up
1  stalled
2  in a turtle
3  in a fade
4   looking and feeling like a dum___ss LOL
soooo back to "if it was easy...it wouldnt be any fun"
« Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 05:36 PM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
Allen Carter
Trade Count: (+29)

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 06:02 PM »

Hands in front for flying, at your sides for tricking. Mine tend to be everywhere in between for normal "flying". Putting your hand together is the quickest way to a straight line, and a good corner is two straight lines connected, or one straight line bent.

Allen, AKA kitehead
ko

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 09:27 PM »

Allen, got it. plan is to meet up with alex,marco(untitled) and hopefully annie for some beach flying tomorrow.i will let you know how it goes..

have fun kurt
Allen Carter

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 10:43 AM »

Video

Allen, AKA kitehead
ko

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 01:03 PM »

sorry all. i did not see this pinned at the top (no pressure thereLOL) i will be flying in seal bch. this weekend so i will catch up with pics and maybe video when i return ps Alex is REALLY GOOD

have fun kurt
ko

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 05:54 PM »

been to long. I basically have the moves down. that's the good news. here is the bad
          breaking old habits & muscle memory is HARD                    
                                          and that is a great subject for another day
                                                        more later
                                                              thanks all 
                                                                         KO            
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 05:57 PM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 10:00 AM »

been to long. I basically have the moves down. that's the good news. here is the bad
          breaking old habits & muscle memory is HARD                    
                                          and that is a great subject for another day
                                                        more later
                                                              thanks all 
                                                                         KO            

Da big monster has been let out of it's cave again...................and.......................the older you are and the longer you've built that memory the Harder it is to change it.  Oh to be young again Cry

It can be done though..........just have to spend more time flying Wink

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
Allen Carter

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 11:17 AM »

You should put all the modern kites away for a while and just fly a Phantom or NSR or Reactor or something for a few months. Not only are they more fun to fly than modern kites, they reduce the temptation to waste time on trick flying.  Wink

Allen, AKA kitehead
Doug S
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2011, 11:37 AM »

As a suggestion from an old time 1990's precision guy, you need to fly the kite through the turn and you do not want to stall the kite.  This is especially true in light winds, where a gentle touch is needed (finger tips to feel slight changes in line pressure) to keep forward speed through the turn.  Please note that in a turn you are reducing the effective area of the sail facing the wind that is providing lift, which may be why you are stalling the kite.  So if the kite was barely able to fly a straight line in light winds, it will definitely fall out of the sky in a turn if you just snap a turn.

In stronger winds we have the other problem with controlling the desired direction of the kite in the turn exit.  In this situation, a push turn slows the kite down so you can control the exit direction, which also accents how nicely you made your turn.

With the fly characteristics of the current trick kites, which have a lower center of gravity and deeper sails, flying the kite through the turn is even more important because trick kites just love to stall and park.

Just my two cents from an old precision guy.

"We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

FMKS
Fly Market

Smooth Winds
Smooth Winds

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum