GWTW Forum
December 22, 2014, 12:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flyin' on Water or is it Taboo  (Read 1842 times)
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: August 01, 2011, 10:49 AM »

Wind was over 12mph and gusting.  As you can view I was on outside of window.  I didn't have the nerve to show my crashes  Cheesy Cheesy........... But I did go in the water up to my knees...  Wink.  Try'd to fly while standing in water but the wind prevented me from any decent control.  When I went to back up...Opps !!! Water... Big Drag..crash into the water.. :'( :'( :'(

I have learned a few things from watching...  I took off while in the water in the beginning.  I discovered that when you crash if you don't pull.  The Kite will float back to the top... First it sinks thenfloats up.  My goal is to fly out of the water  Tongue Tongue...................... SSSSSSSSSSo
My next trip to the beach I am setting up either four std. or four Ul's. But I am going to learn to fly out of the water... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy ( could get wet.)

However I don't think so.  It's more of me not thinking this whole "jaws" thing through.

Fedlio meantioned that I have been searching for something.  I am close.  I just did not realize it till today.  WHAT AM I AFRAID OF  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes..... Crashing  !!! I've done that  ;)No Big Deal... Cool

My goal is to fly out of the water and over the water...  My fear is crashing... No longer.  can't be that big of a deal.... Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy I hope  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Please any TIPS .................  I've watched a few video's,but I need first hand info.... 
I may be flying later today when the wind slows down...

My new flying place  " Stoney Creek Metro Pk.  Haven't been there in years.. Two beaches East and West.... Look for up coming pre-veiws of park.  Or Google Earth  Stoney Creek Metropolitain Pk. in Shelby Michigan.  This could be Nirvana for me.  Cheesy  Not to bad of a drive.  1/2 hour.  Tops.

Stoney Creek.wmv
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 11:06 AM by vertigo2u » Logged

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2011, 02:46 PM »

If you land on the water with both tips down, you can just walk forward and let it sink in.  Then add tension and the kite will fly out.  It's easy as cake. 

There is no other way in where you can also get out.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
RonG
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2011, 04:04 PM »

If you land on the water with both tips down, you can just walk forward and let it sink in.  Then add tension and the kite will fly out.  It's easy as cake. 

And it better be a nice, still body of water.  Any kind of wave action or significant current and you're more likely to end up with a pile of fabric and broken sticks as a relaunched kite.

I've dunked kites in the ocean a few times and the only prayer you have of getting it back in one piece is to make absolutely no attempt to relaunch it, in fact don't put any tension on the lines at all once it's under.
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2011, 04:28 PM »

obi

I imagine a lot of it depends on your skill level.

check this out at 1:27

SUL Quantum Pro by Prism

Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 06:51 PM »

Hey Vert...
You sould be scared of crashing in the water... nothing's more likely to break a kite than waves, even little ones. I've broken a huge number of sticks from unplanned water landings. I fly on a pretty narrow beach, so at high tide, half of the wind window is over the water. But... submarining on purpose is fun, and a great thing to do to save the day when you can't trick because of high winds. I have a kite that's all mylar, so it was born to swim as well as fly...
Taking the QPro for a Dip...

The kite was being flown at the edge of the wind window, with the BIG QPro weight screwed on the back. I think it helped it to sink better...
Just like Obi said, just pull gently and be patient, the kite will come right back out and fly away every time if the wind is high enough.
~Rob.

vertigo2u

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 07:33 PM »

Rob,

With allmy heart that was one of the nicest video's I have ever watched.  Smooth movements and nice tricks over andunder the water...  Gives me a direction... Damn you fly beautifuly...  I loved it.  Smiley

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 10:37 PM »

It depends more on the depth of the water.  If you've got a steep dropaway from the shore line there is much less current or wave action.  This is apparent in both "Prism" videos.you might get away with it more often than not.  Other than that I'm with Ron.... on wide sandy beaches where the waves run up the beach some distance before retreating, you'll end up with a wet bag of carbon splinters...if your lines don't break and let the kite get swept away.

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
Kantaxel

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2011, 12:38 AM »

It depends more on the depth of the water.  If you've got a steep dropaway from the shore line there is much less current or wave action.  This is apparent in both "Prism" videos.you might get away with it more often than not.  Other than that I'm with Ron.... on wide sandy beaches where the waves run up the beach some distance before retreating, you'll end up with a wet bag of carbon splinters...if your lines don't break and let the kite get swept away.

I agree with Ron too..........both 'Prism' vids are obviously not in Ocean Surf.............one is on Puget Sound and the other on Long Island sound, I believe.  It has, IMO, more to do with current and wave action than the drop off or depth of the beach.

obijuankenobe

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2011, 01:29 AM »

I have never broken a kite in surf.

I have had the waves topple the kite, so I have had to swim.  I have had waves catch the kite when going through the JL to the fade and pull it under.  But I have never broken a kite.  I guess I haven't dipped in waves big enough to break anything.

Certainly loads of entries might be possible, but this is a new flier.  I don't think there is any point in encouraging him to explore what's possible here.  That's why I suggested there is only the two point entry into the water.  This is the only semi-foolproof place for him to start. 

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2011, 04:17 AM »

Rob,

With allmy heart that was one of the nicest video's I have ever watched.  Smooth movements and nice tricks over andunder the water...  Gives me a direction... Damn you fly beautifuly...  I loved it.  Smiley
Thanks, Vert. The one above mine shows more in the way of skill & tricks, but I think Matt is nuts for dunking an SUL...
Jim is right in saying that mine is taken at Long Island Sound, and the wind was an off shore wind, cutting the waves down to nothing that day. Even though it gets deep very fast, the waves that kick up during an on shore wind are fast & angry, and have crushed many of my kites.
I guess flying into the water is a lot like dead launching a kite... there's a good chance you'll break the kite, but you try it anyway...  Cheesy
~Rob.

obijuankenobe

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2011, 04:24 AM »

obi

SUL Quantum Pro by Prism

Jim

I notice that in this sequence, the kite doesn't submerge completely.  If it had, it would not have come out.  That's my point, I guess.

obi

Kantaxel

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2011, 04:35 AM »

obi

SUL Quantum Pro by Prism

Jim

I notice that in this sequence, the kite doesn't submerge completely.  If it had, it would not have come out.  That's my point, I guess.

obi

You sure?
I'll bet Matt could get the fade launch in wet cement. Cheesy

vertigo2u

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2011, 12:41 PM »

A Must is to watch Must86 on youtube.  Just a nice note to pass along.  Gonna watch everything later............   Embarrassed Wish I could fly like that... but I won't give up hope... Use to cry   Cry about learning axel on the right side....

Shane

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2011, 12:51 PM »

obi

SUL Quantum Pro by Prism

Jim

Who is the one flying in this video??  Huh Huh Really nice flying!!

"Once you have flown, you will walk with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you long to return." Leonardo Da Vinci
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2011, 02:05 PM »

Matt McGee - he flys at kite hill, I've seen him there several times so far this year usually flying a Prophecy or Vapor.

This is one of my favorite vids.  The SUL is a sweet kite, nice and slow - it's more neutral than most of the trick monsters that we all talk about around here which makes the video all the more impressive. 

-Tom

6 kite tom
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum