GWTW Forum
December 20, 2014, 06:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reframing the Prism Hypnotist for light winds  (Read 3144 times)
B-13
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: August 02, 2011, 09:51 AM »

Hello pilots,

I have my Prism Hypnotist for nearly one month now and really enjoying it. High-end tricks are still under learning process but the basics are there 
So now i am looking for some options in when the wind really drops (1-5kmh) and that the hypnotist get a little heavy to fly and trick. A re-frame is a good solution but don't have any experience on this and what is needed. I understood that the Qpro being on the same shape and size, it's spars could be used on the hypnotist. Am i right?
Or any other guide and spars i can buy and use to reframe the hypnotist. Also are the spars sold pre cut or i need to cut them (with what btw  )

Thanks for any sharing

Btreize

Proud Member of Kitelife.com #943 Smiley
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 10:15 AM »

Check the kite clique. I'm not sure what the rods are that went in it, but the reframe is on their site. Not sure if it'll help with light winds, but it'll certainly help how the kite performs.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
indigo_wolf
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 01:10 PM »

Here's what Devin is referring to:

Prism Mirage/Hypnotist with P300 LE's

ATB,
Sam
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 05:11 PM »

hello and good day. if this is bryan from the prism forum you are just going to get the same advice you got over there if you are not he, sorry but check out there site, there are some answers there. my 2 cents are look for something in the for sale here or post a wanted ad. spend your time flying. everyone is looking for the perfect all around kite. good luck nothing wrong with experimenting BUT
hope this helps have fun KO ps if you do decide on another kite the Exile would be a VERY good choice
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 06:15 PM by ko » Logged

have fun kurt
B-13

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 08:15 PM »

Hi KO,

yeps it's same Bryan. Just looking for advice with other pilots here. But i got a good deal on a used zeph. The guy will send me some pictures of damaged parts if any.
thanks
Bryan

ko

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 09:34 PM »

good call bryan. at least now you will have a nice kite to fly while you are messin with the hypno LOL 

have fun kurt
B-13

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2011, 07:52 AM »

KO, the hypno is just awesome and today got some nice constant 8-10kmh and tried some tricks.
On days where almost no wind is here and that your kite is just stuck in your head and will not let go until you take it out of the bag, then a light one is needed  Smiley

Bryan

ko

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2011, 08:05 AM »

join the club! many of us have spent more than a few bucks and time finding the perfect kites for the prevailing conditions you have a REALLY good start on that  i think the zephyr will suprise you. as you are buying it used ,i would suggest that you ask the seller about any changes he has made to the kite .if any

have fun kurt
B-13

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2011, 08:22 AM »

Yeah, he told me there is little damage near the stand-off reinforcement, inside right side, a crescent shaped tear about a quarter inch long. I have no close up of the Zeph and this part of the kite and don't really know if this is critical of OK.

Danno419
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2011, 09:14 AM »

Yeah, he told me there is little damage near the stand-off reinforcement, inside right side, a crescent shaped tear about a quarter inch long. I have no close up of the Zeph and this part of the kite and don't really know if this is critical of OK.

it shouldnt be paramount to the smooth flying of the kite - just ensure its repaired correctly with teldar tape or an equivalent.

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Hmmmm Talon vent or SUL next... decisions decisions.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2011, 10:06 AM »

I wouldn't worry about the kites performance too much with some wear or minor damage.  We all like the crisp new sail of a brand new kite, but.....

My Z had about 50% of the trailing edge reinforcement gone from bridle contact (you could easily see the leech line) and it flew as well (maybe better) than any other Z that I've tried.

I also have 2 Shadows - one new and one worn out, old, and ragged.  I like them both, but prefer the old worn one more - it's just smoother.  Same story with 2 Exiles that I had.

As long as the frame hasn't been modified from the original or the bridle adjusted completely out of whack (or replaced), or a gaping hole in the sail, I'd go for it.

6 kite tom
ko

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 08:49 PM »

as usual i agree with tom i wouldnt be to worried about a little damage as long as you are getting a good deal. i woud be more Leary(leery?) of changes that effect flite. but heck even new kites come up with bridle problems even upside down bridles .. (not a good experience)

have fun kurt
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 10:09 PM »

So this is the picture of the damage to the kite in question:

We are looking for comments from anyone following this thread about the extent of the damage and whether or not it spells doom for the sail or the kite's flight characteristics.  I know the answer to the last question, but the forum is probably the best place to get a consensus.

Thanks,
Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2011, 07:42 AM »

Not the best place for that damage but I think it's still repairable.

I would first try the Super Glue method of repair. Using some scotch tape on one side of the sail get the tear closed as good as possible, a very slight overlap is preferable to the edges not touching. Fold that standoff reinforcement back and hold it out of your way, then just dab some Super Glue over the tear on the opposite side of the tape. Let the glue dry completely then remove the tape.

I might try to back that repair up with a small Tedlar tape patch but it will be pretty difficult to get it under that reinforcing material without wrinkling it up and getting it stuck to itself.

If the area fails again you'll probably have to unstitch that standoff reinforcement to get some Tedlar securely under it or to sew in a small patch of fabric. Hopefully the glue will hold, I've seen some glued repairs hold up very well.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2011, 08:07 AM »

if it were me , I would partially cut the seem on the reinforcing patch (using a seem ripper) that the standoff connects to... lift the fabric enough to get a piece of Tedlar Tape completely over the damaged portion, then resew the patch at that point... This wouldn't be too hard. 

« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 08:08 AM by sugarbaker » Logged
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum