GWTW Forum
December 19, 2014, 08:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Reframing the Prism Hypnotist for light winds  (Read 3142 times)
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 08:23 PM »

if it were me , I would partially cut the seem on the reinforcing patch (using a seem ripper) that the standoff connects to... lift the fabric enough to get a piece of Tedlar Tape completely over the damaged portion, then resew the patch at that point... This wouldn't be too hard. 

I 2nd this.  I had a lot worse tear in the same spot on mine and thats how it was repaired.  It didn't affect flight at all before or after the repair but its a high stress spot and can tear more in certain types of launches (sleeping beauty).  Even if all you do is get the tedlar under the patch against the thread it should be fine on that small of a poke hole if you do both sides.  USe a 1 inch circle patch with one side cut to match the thread line curve and apply to both sides of the sail.  Simple piece of mind fix.  NOt much of a deal if you don't patch it right away and JIm won't steer you wrong either.
Kantaxel
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2011, 02:10 PM »

So............
A Tedlar repair has been made:

Following Anthony's advice I made a double patch on both sides radiusing the patches to fit the stitch line underneath the stand-off reinforcement patch.

Although I have put a couple three hours on this kite after a reed poked a hole during a snap turtle landing, I have to agree with Mike and say it is a high stress area, which wouldn't be, IMO, a problem because I never fly the Zeph above 10-11 MPH.

My hoster wouldn't allow me to post a really nice close up because it is too big.  It's available by e-mail should anyone be interested.

thanks, Jim

Kant Fly......might just as well buy!
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2011, 03:47 PM »

jim! I need to send you a couple of kites. nice job

have fun kurt
Ca Ike

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2011, 04:23 PM »

jim! I need to send you a couple of kites. nice job
hehe send them to me I'm closer or just bring em up to a ripon fun fly  Smiley

NIce job JIm that should hold well for a while.  THis was the tear in mine before I repaired it caused by a broken beer bottle on my old flying field doing an axel landing and not quite hitting the tips.  NOw I only fly on well kept fields and even then I still walk around looking for debris in my fly spots.  It's amazing how messy a field gets after a soccer league game day.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 04:32 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
AKA_MrBill
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2011, 10:10 AM »

By chance, can someone give me the diameter and length of the spine on the Hypno. I gave my son my Hypno, but it has a splintering spine and I want to replace it. I can get the factory one for $9.95 +S&H, but sometimes doing it yourself is more satisfying.  Grin
Ca Ike

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2011, 03:36 PM »

By chance, can someone give me the diameter and length of the spine on the Hypno. I gave my son my Hypno, but it has a splintering spine and I want to replace it. I can get the factory one for $9.95 +S&H, but sometimes doing it yourself is more satisfying.  Grin
  TH spine should be a 6mm pultruded carbon or fiberglass.  If you e-mail our hose here Steve can set you up with what you need and he has the specs on hand.
AKA_MrBill
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2011, 06:08 PM »

TH spine should be a 6mm pultruded carbon or fiberglass.  If you e-mail our hose here Steve can set you up with what you need and he has the specs on hand.

Yep, that was pretty much the plan if I couldn't get the specifics.
He has them listed in the parts section, so I know I can get them from him.
Now, if he would just carry Shanti Skybond......... Wink
Danno419
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2011, 03:13 PM »

Yep, that was pretty much the plan if I couldn't get the specifics.
He has them listed in the parts section, so I know I can get them from him.
Now, if he would just carry Shanti Skybond......... Wink

i would buy a couple new spines while you're ordering... maybe a LE & set of spreaders too.  Grin
I know the skybond was backordered for some time - when i ordered my 1000' back late june/early july.
Its worth the effort to get some! - i love it.

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Hmmmm Talon vent or SUL next... decisions decisions.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum