GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 05:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Flyer  (Read 1984 times)
Luke
Trade Count: (0)

« on: June 20, 2011, 11:38 AM »

Hey Everybody!

I am new to the wonderful world of stunt kites and I have a few questions...

Yesterday I was given a Prism Quantum for Father's Day  Grin and I am just wondering what are some basic tricks that I can start trying to learn with this beauty? 
I have had some (what you could call) experience with a cheap $20 no name stunt kite that I bought, just to see if I would find the sport interesting (also because I didn't know that quality mattered when I bought it Tongue), so I know how to self launch and the basic controls...though landing is still tricky because my little kite would shoot around like a bullet. LOL!

So yeah, I'm just wondering what some good starting techniques would be, and if there is any sagely advice I should know.

Thanks!

~Luke
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 11:57 AM »

Welcome to the Forum.

1 Don't fly near trees or power lines.
2 Don't fly over people.
3 Don't fly when there is lightning.
4 Do have a good time.

Your best bet to learning is to find a sport kite flier or two who live near you and fly with them. Ask lots of questions. If you can't do that, order an instructional video from your local kite store or from our host, GWTW kites who has an ad button top right.

In addition, the excellent trick tutorials of Randy Greenway are available here:

http://v2.1.kiteclique.com/wordpress-3.0/wordpress/tutorials/randygs

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 03:30 PM »

Continue right now on your new Quantum to work on the basics, launch, re-launch, landings, circles, straight lines & square corners to get a good feel for them.

Then the next thing to work on before getting into the tricks dept is getting a stall down, and having some control of the kite in a stall. Side Slides are a good practice.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Luke

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2011, 11:54 AM »

Thanks Guys!

I was able to take it out the other day for a quick flight and to see how it handled.  The wind was gentle...maybe around 8 kph and gusting to 13 or so...
I was amazed at how little wind the Quantum needs to take flight.  I looked at the wind requirements...but honestly. most of the time I could hardly feel a breeze and it had no problem launching!  Grin

It has very nice handling and it is going to be a joy to fly if we get any decent mild wind. 

I do have one question however...If the kite is laying flat on it's belly, nose pointing toward you, is it possible to launch it from that position?  Right now I am thinking "No"...but please let me know.

Thanks!

~Luke
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2011, 12:27 PM »

Dead launch (easiest to do on smooth surfaces, not tall grass):

http://en.eolo.com/kite-tutorials/freestyle-tricks-by-club-de-cometas-dama-de-elche/dead-launch/it/

And, a thread on the Prism Forum:

http://prismkites.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1158256180/7

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
lylenc
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 12:39 PM »

I use the dead launch position as an excuse to go chech all the rods to be sure they are fully seated in their connectors. I put the kite in another orientation for relaunch so I don't have to do the dead launch. It tends to be rough on kites. Besides, I never bothered learning how to deadlaunch for that reason.

Often newer flyers will post saying they were flying along and a rod broke for no reason. It's usually due to accumulation of prior crashes or the rod being partially seated. Check out the connections frequently while you are in lawn dart mode. That will save a few rods from early retirement and save you a few repairs and $.

Craig     Walla Walla, WA     Just One More!
Ace

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 11:58 PM »

The dead launch is really the only way. But not really a good thing to do as it can lead to damage, especially when your new at the game. Your better off doing the walk of shame Embarrassed
The Quantum is a great beginner kite, pulls like a truck in high wind though which makes it fun. '

Like the others said learn the absolute basics first then worry about tricks later. You'll find that when you reach the stage where normal flight is boring you and your no longer lawn darting that's when to start thinking about the slack line stuff.

By the way for me I reached that stage after about three months of flying my Quantum weekly (say 3-5 hours per week) Everybody is different though.....

In the bag... Quantum Fire, E2 Ice, Micron Red, Deepspace STD and UL Blue, Nirvana Orange, KFX Red, Mohawk XS yellow.
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2011, 04:15 AM »

When I first started, I liked to fly the kite to the edge of the wind window to get a feel for what a stall feels like. Practice flying there, turning nose up and letting the kite sink to the ground as it's stalled. When you get a feel for that, try doing a axel when it's stalled - snap one line, slack the other and the kite will come around all floaty-like.

A key move to launching is the cartwheel. (I never dead launch because A:) I've never been able to do it and B:) it's hard on the kite.) With the kite nose down on the ground, wing tips in the air and wind in the sail, you can rock the kite back and forth from side to side by alternating the pull on your lines. The tricky part is pulling on the line towards the center of the wind window that will roll your kite around while you're slacking the other line as it starts to go around. I broke a few leading edges on my Prism Flashlight as I learned to cartwheel. It becomes second nature though.

Bob D.
Luke

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2011, 06:30 AM »

I didn't know deadlaunching the kite was bad for it; tanks for the info.  When mine had fallen to it's belly I would pull and do what I could to get it up, but after a few seconds I would worry I was going to break my kite so I would go and flip it to its back and then launch it again.

If the wind cooperates and actually blows when I am off work, I plan on practicing stalls and working on my landing/launching.

~Luke
Danno419
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 02:42 PM »

Hey Luke - as mentioned over at the prism forum - if you're every down in Calgary - send me a pm and we can go for some airtime.

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Hmmmm Talon vent or SUL next... decisions decisions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change