GWTW Forum
July 22, 2014, 08:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Newbie in kite`s world  (Read 1700 times)
deadcandance
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 04, 2011, 03:10 PM »

Good Evening, first of all, nice to meet u all as in my country I almost haven`t got anybody to speak to about kites...I`m flying a kite for 1 month..I bought a kite which u can see on a following link http://www.vejobroliai.lt/product.php?id_product=38 ...After some mailings to people and looking at Lithuanian shop of kites, I got lots of questions to ask...

First of all, how are an acrobatic kites classified?, For example, what is the stunt kite, and what`s the difrence between stunt kite and sport pro kite?..Also I want to know how is the name of the kite, which looks almost the same as acrobatic kite, but it`s big, and it does a big power, as an example i give u the following link http://www.vejobroliai.lt/product.php?id_product=221 ...

For this time, I think it`s enough, I`m waiting for the answers!! =)

All I want is to be where you are
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 01:20 AM »

Welcome to the forum.

Sport Kite and Stunt Kite are both names for the same type of kite, that is a multi line controllable kite. When you add the word "Pro", which is an abbreviation for "Professional", it should mean that the kite is higher quality. But that will not always be true since I see many cheap low quality kites labeled "Pro" being made in China.

The second kite you ask about, the Devil Wing, is classified as a Speed and Power kite. It is not a kite you would normally fly just for pleasure and it won't do the tricks or fly well controlled circles and corners. If speed and pull are what you want from a kite it is a good choice, but it is not a kite to learn on.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 01:44 AM »

Hello deadcandance and welcome to the Forum.

I would ask that, in the future, you not put direct links to other kite stores as that is a rule of the host of this Forum.

As your link is to a store which we will, in all likelihood, not use, we will let them stand.

Thank you.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
deadcandance

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 04:37 PM »

Hey, thanks for the answer, and I`ll try not to use links anymore..Still, when I bought a kite, I asked the dealer if i could go on strong winds with it...He said, this isn`t a stunt class kite, so I don`t recommend you to fly in strong winds..And I don`t understand what he was about.Anyways, now I want to learn some tricks...I started from 540 which i screwed up, but I still didn`t lost the control after it did some circle, I don`t know...When I try to do 540, it does something different...Ant it`s still hard to me to do any stuff with it..Maybe I need more practice....

Got some different questions...For example, how is good kite made?...I mean, when i do very sudden turns right and left, sometimes my kite details slough out, u know what I mean?...So my question would be like if good kites are made strong details tightened?....Cause when I build my kite to fly, details aren`t tightened very much, and I don`t know if it`s ok?...`cause I said before, if I do crazy things, detail slough out...

Also I want to ask about kite corners, sometimes, learning to do tricks, lines tie up one corner, and then a kite falls down circling..Maybe better kites made with good corners which can`t tie up?...Or maybe I just need to know how to control lines by pulling and releasing it?

Thank`s for your patience, thanks for answers :]
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 05:31 PM by deadcandance » Logged

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 07:50 PM »

Hey, thanks for the answer, and I`ll try not to use links anymore..Still, when I bought a kite, I asked the dealer if i could go on strong winds with it...He said, this isn`t a stunt class kite, so I don`t recommend you to fly in strong winds..And I don`t understand what he was about.Anyways, now I want to learn some tricks...I started from 540 which i screwed up, but I still didn`t lost the control after it did some circle, I don`t know...When I try to do 540, it does something different...Ant it`s still hard to me to do any stuff with it..Maybe I need more practice....

Got some different questions...For example, how is good kite made?...I mean, when i do very sudden turns right and left, sometimes my kite details slough out, u know what I mean?...So my question would be like if good kites are made strong details tightened?....Cause when I build my kite to fly, details aren`t tightened very much, and I don`t know if it`s ok?...`cause I said before, if I do crazy things, detail slough out...

Also I want to ask about kite corners, sometimes, learning to do tricks, lines tie up one corner, and then a kite falls down circling..Maybe better kites made with good corners which can`t tie up?...Or maybe I just need to know how to control lines by pulling and releasing it?

Thank`s for your patience, thanks for answers :]
Welcome to the forums Smiley  I'll try and figure out what your asking and answer as best I Can.  If by details you mean the kites framing and fittings coming apart, that tends to be normal on real cheap kites.  You need to make sure all the frame rods are well seated in the fittings and your bridle is not wrapped around a rod.  ON a good kite(even a low cost one) the fittings are usually tight enough to hold the frame rods in place without them popping out.

The first kite you linked looks like it has a good wind range but I wouldn't try flying in in anything above 15 mph.  Steering a kite is a lot like riding a bike.  YOu have to use smooth motions.  TUrn too hard, too fast and you end up on the ground.  ON a lot of cheap made kites if you pull too hard in a turn you can pull the lower spreaders out of the fittings.

NOw on to the wing tips (corners as you called them).  Getting the lines wrapped around them is a normal part of learning to do tricks. THe more you practice a trick the better you will get at knowing how much slack to give the lines to avoid a tip wrap.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 12:13 AM »

If Ca Ike is right and your kite is falling apart when you pull hard you need to get that fixed. A better quality kite will cure it, smoother control will help too. But until you decide on a new kite you may be able to make some simple modifications to help. I also noticed in the detail shots of the Jamaica you posted that the kite is assembled wrong. That is not a good sign that the maker or the seller have any experience with kites.

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
emegaz
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2011, 09:34 AM »

Welcome deadcandanc,

I would recommend you watch some kite vids and see some kite pics under the photo and video portion of the fourm to get an idea of what the kite should do as far as turning and durability. Pay special attention to the person flying the kite if u can see em in frame with the kite their flying to see what inputs they do.

Also the photos might help you see the construction of good kites so you compare them to yours. Rips in the fabric are bad. Loose rods after assembly is bad. Look at the stiching which is usually a good idea of how good the kite was made.
deadcandance

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2011, 09:46 AM »

Well, frame rods are fitting, but they are free, they aren`t tightened...Btw I tried to fly on stormy weather, wind was more than 30mph, everything was alright..There`s just sudden turns that sometimes make frame rods detached..Actually I`m happy with flying, but I think it isn`t made for tricks. So in future I`ll purchase good one. Even when I see movies of good stunt kites, i see that they`re moving more sudden and faster then mine.

While I was about to post a new reply, I saw that emegaz posted one, I just wanted to answer that stitching is good in my kite, but I didn`t get what u mean by "RIPS", what does this word mean?...I know only RIP.. Tongue

One more question to ask, does the speed and power kite move faster than a good stunt kite?..

Too bad, I don`t have many kite fans in my country, and if I`ll try to learn, I`ll need it to learn all by myself learning from movies..

Thanks for answers =) ...You are all friendly here Smiley ..Btw, Beatles are a good choice of music Wink ..

Ca Ike

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2011, 01:14 PM »

By rips he means tears in the fabric. 

THe more I Get translated from that site the more I understand the kite you got is more of what we call a precision kite.  IT will fly nice patterns but tricks are limited and it will be slower than some kites. It will probably axel, 540 and fade easily enough, but fancier trick will be tough. If you were flying in 30 mph I'm surprised you still have a kite.  Most non vented kites have an upper limit of 20 mph.  MOst of us prefer to fly in 5-15 mph range for tricking and prefer the low end of that.

SPeed kites are just what they say.  Fast, sometimes really fast but not made for tricks,

Power kites are made for pull so you can use them like a sail to pull you on a buggy or wake board
deadcandance

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2011, 02:27 PM »

Well, I wasn`t surprised, cause i believed that kite can make through such winds...Nvm...What I ment was about "Speed and Power kites", but not Power kites Wink

Ca Ike

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2011, 02:37 PM »

Well, I wasn`t surprised, cause i believed that kite can make through such winds...Nvm...What I ment was about "Speed and Power kites", but not Power kites Wink
  Looking at the build quality from the detail pictures I don't see it lasting very long flying in that high of a wind myself.

Speed and power kites are not one in the same.  THey are two different classes of kites.  A good kite maker will separate the two but a cheap kite maker will combine them for a "selling point" just to get you to buy one.  It's wise to learn the difference so you don't get ripped off.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2011, 03:10 PM »

Yes I sort of miss used the term Speed & Power, Speed kites do get classified as "Speed and Power" kites because of the pull most of them generate, but they are not meant to be used as a "Power" kite because they are too fast to put in one area and generate use-able power for the many sports that use true Power kites.

I'm not familiar with any of the "Acrobatic" kites (Akrobatiniai aitvarai) or as we say Sport or Stunt kites they list, maybe others can give you some recommendations. HQ makes decent mid range kites and I'm sure you would find something in that line. I think the Jamaican you got is more of a Chinese entry level kite then a serious trick kite. It's meant to get you interested and get you back in to purchase a better kite. Looks like it's done it's job  Wink

deadcandance

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2011, 03:18 PM »

I still didn`t get what u did mean by "I don't see it lasting very long flying in that high of a wind myself."..Can`t figure out what this sentence means...Wah,, yeah, job`s done Cheesy ..I now need money for better one Smiley) ..I`m now carefully watching the vids, and trying to memorize every turns of the tricks so I could do with the first wind Wink ..Hopefully tomorrow will be a good weather, I`ll try something Tongue ..Where are u from guys? ;]

emegaz
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2011, 04:17 PM »

I was able to find a lith site where it had good kites and it showed kite fests in lith too and I sent dead the link should be ok now
deadcandance

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2011, 04:25 PM »

But still, I believe this forum has real pro kite flyers ;] ..I checked that forum, there aren`t many people still...Aren`t many discussions...Also I saw kite competition program, that`s I think would be too easy to perform for these forum guys like you...Btw dude, I now figured out how I didn`t find it...The name of the site is 108 which has nothing to do with kites, so I just eye-passed it, and didn`t entered it..LOL

One more question, are there any prism kites or othe pro kites, that are made in china, selling for lower prise and are the same quality as original, or i should forget about any china thing? Cheesy ..

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document