GWTW Forum
October 20, 2014, 04:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Marking kite line with Alpine Butterfly  (Read 876 times)
Delta7828
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 06, 2011, 03:44 AM »

I wonder how it would work to measure and mark my line using alpine butterfly knots every 50 or 100 feet and leave the knots in the line. I understand that the knot retains 95 percent of the line strength  So, I am guessing that a 100# line with several alpine butterfly knots would still be good for 95#  I could also use the knots to tie off streamers on the line.

Hoping to set up a ten foot delta conyne on 1000 feet of 100# line with six 40 foot streamers. May never fly it all but love to imagine all the same. New to this...

Love to hear any thoughts.
thief
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2011, 05:21 AM »

Very easy to set a line up like that.
I always just larksheaded stainless or aluminum welded rings at 15'intervals. .......

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
bbtech

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2011, 05:59 AM »

I use a small carabiner with the line wrapped around it two or three times. You can slide it easily and once there is tension on the line it stays in place.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2011, 03:15 PM »

Many people do exactly what you're considering. If you want to make a line dedicated to hanging laundry on do it, it saves the time you'll otherwise use every time you fly attaching carabiners or rings and guessing or stepping off distances. The Alpine Butterfly is one of the prefered knots for this purpose. Go for it.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Delta7828

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 02:36 PM »

Thank you all for your responses.  Great help.  I am going to go ahead and set my lines up with the alpine butterfly knots to mark the length and to secure line laundry.  I will put a few closer together closer to the kite for streamers.

Also, did away with the metal clips and decided to use the larks head to secure to my single line kites Ė Delta Stowaway and Alpine Delta Conyne.  I read the message thread concerning these in the Sport Kite section.  Canít get around metal against kite line and really donít want to see the kite sail off on their own.  I have the option to larks head to the clip if need be.

Had a bit of wind yesterday and flew for a few minutes.  Canít wait to spend a day with decent wind and temperatures below 95.

Thank you again.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change