GWTW Forum
November 22, 2014, 07:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coming to America...  (Read 4109 times)
misfitdave
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 08, 2011, 04:52 AM »

Hi all,

my wife and i are coming to America and i was wondering what kite events maybe happening which could coincide with my trip.

this is my general plans:

Sept 19- 23rd New Orleans.  Music plus foray in to cajun country.

23rd - 29th Austin Texas. music football and road trips

Sept 29th- Oct 4 San Francisco Mostly for the Hardly strictly blue grass music festival.

Oct 4 -7th Milwaukee to madision. suggestions would be great.

Oct 8- wedding event Madison. and there's cheese convention is happening too!

Oct 9 fly home

As you can see there are lots of music opportunities in this trip, but any suggestions of kite events or even group/club fly together in those areas would be welcome ideas which i would happily consider. Kite stores to check out...

I am aware i miss 2 kiting events Sept 17/18 San Fran family kite festival and the  kite fest in Madison on Sunday Oct 9
but unfortunately my schedule cannot allow it, pretty tight.

Though i am new to kiteing i am obsessed and even though this US trip is not a specific kite tour (my wife keeps saying)  it would be great to see some kites do stuff in the sky besides my own. Also the US is the home of kiting for me as it's where i discovered and developed my obsession. I first got a prism Quantum last xmas and then went on line, it's been a love affair since then. So to see kites and pilots do there thing in person would be a joy to me.

any other suggestions about places to go are also welcome...

Thanks for your thoughts.

Cheers Dave

Melb, Australia.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 08:42 PM »

THe only festival I know of during your trip is the color the skies festival in ripon, ca the weekend of sept 30.  Its a hot air balloon festival but they added kites to the festival last year and will probably do the same this year.  Looks like you will be in San FRansisco during that weekend and ripon is about a 2 hour drive west.  I'll keep you updated when I know more info or you can contact Meogeo.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 08:45 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
ozonejim
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 09:49 PM »

The Color the Skies in Ripon is September 3rd & 4th not the 30th.

Ca Ike

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 10:48 PM »

oops I Read the dates wrong
Jynx
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 11:31 PM »

Dave ~ Nothing in Milwaukee (or Madison) Wisconsin for those dates... But if you want a nice place to fly come to Veterans Park at the Milwaukee WI Lakefront which is also the site of the Gift of Wings Kite Shop. You could also take in the Art Museum (within a few blocks) and if you like Harley Davidson cycles I can hook-you-up with a tour!

Love to see and fly with you during your stay!

Here's the AKA calendar site... Maybe you'll find something on there for the other areas you'll be visiting!

http://www.aka.kite.org/events/calendar

...and an early... "Welcome to OUR side of the Pond!"

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky."
Jimi Hendrix
misfitdave

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 05:56 AM »

hey Jynx,

thanks for responding. its wonderfully generous of you to offer your time. i'll definitely put it in the planning bank.

and chase you up down the track.

so you ride harleys and fly kites. cool.

i'll also spend some time checking out the link you sent. thanks for that too!

Awesome

Dave
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 08:01 AM »

I'd be interested in spending a day flying with you at Marina Green or Ocean Beach while you're in San Fran. Might be a couple of others willing to join in the fun too.  Wink

no chasing us up and down the beach

Denny
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 08:03 AM by DWayne » Logged

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 09:18 AM »

if you're into music and heading into cajun country you might want to drop by the savoy music center and see if you can catch a jam session with the savoy family band. easy to find 'em on google/youtube.

also, chicago is only a few hours drive from where you'll be in wisconsin, just fyi.

Fdeli
Ca Ike

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 03:59 PM »

I'd be interested in spending a day flying with you at Marina Green or Ocean Beach while you're in San Fran. Might be a couple of others willing to join in the fun too.  Wink

no chasing us up and down the beach

Denny
I'd be up for that if my work schedule lets me.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 04:01 PM by Ca Ike » Logged
justinpwheeler

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 06:51 PM »

Not kite related, but everybody likes beer, right?

Only in Wisconsin is a very special beer available.  Spotted Cow.  Unfiltered, wheat beer.  On tap it goes down so well and tasty.  Hopefully you will enjoy.
Jynx
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2011, 11:10 PM »

Not kite related, but everybody likes beer, right?

Only in Wisconsin is a very special beer available.  Spotted Cow.  Unfiltered, wheat beer.  On tap it goes down so well and tasty.  Hopefully you will enjoy.

You got that one RIGHT! ...Proud to have it offered/served locally!   Grin

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky."
Jimi Hendrix
misfitdave

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 03:50 AM »

Hey thanks all for the responses and great suggestions.

San Fran fly sounds very cool. I'm staying in the mission area and public transport to both the ocean beach and Marina green seems more than possible.

I am pretty committed to the hardley strictly bluegrass festival over the weekend but mornings may be possible. I'd definitely be up for it monday/tues if your times allow.

I'm sure may things change from here to then though. So I'll ask again when I'm close to the states.

Though I am really excited at flying kites.  MC hammer is playing at the fest too. I'd never thought I'd see him in my life time. ( please keep control of your jests at my expense)

I will drink the spotted cow.

Cheers Dave
fidelio

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 06:32 AM »

Fdeli
misfitdave

« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2011, 02:27 AM »

Hey all,

It's about to happen i will be getting on a jet plane and heading to the US in 12 hrs. 30 hrs on a plane is painful but fully worth it!

Do you think i can bring a kite as carry on luggage? it has long poles, are they still considered dangerous?

Still am looking forward to a fly in San Fran i'll be there sept 29th -Oct 4. maybe a week end morning if anyones keen. Ocean beach sounds like a great place to fly a kite. it's also closer to Golden gate park where the music festival is happening.

Oh yeah!

Hammer time!

Dave

WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2011, 04:50 AM »

If they reach for the kite you can always say.....

"You can't touch this!"

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
 Lips sealed Lips sealed
 Embarrassed

WinterDaze AoF
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum