GWTW Forum
September 30, 2014, 06:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Coming to America...  (Read 3886 times)
misfitdave
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2011, 07:08 AM »

So I put my kite in a card board tube. Hauled it on and off 4 planes to finally get to New Orleans, at 1.30 am in the middle of the night. Only to realise i left it in the back of a taxi when we arrived at our room.  Oh the horror!

My wife and I had written the the kite off. And I was begining to think my US kiting adventure tour was never going to happen. But have faith the the goodness of strangers. Once I contacted the taxi company they were able to track the driver down and have him return it to me. Oh the joy! Who would have thought? Taxis are usually black holes of lost and found right?

Good karma yeah!

What is the meaning of this? Obviously don't leave things in taxis. But as well as that it means I must fly when here.

Looking forward to great winds.

Dave
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2011, 07:20 AM »

You know there's good & bad everywhere, glad the company went that extra mile for you and rescued your kite. Enjoy your visit and we hope you keep experiencing the overall generosity of our people rather then the minority dark side.

Sorry you were just a bit late to experience the fly in San Francisco, perfect weather this year, I was in Shorts, Flip-Flops and a T-shirt all weekend from 7:00 AM - 10:00 PM, that just doesn't happen often in SF.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2011, 08:32 AM »

Oh man, you got lucky with that one. I'm so happy for you! Enjoy every single minute of your adventure!

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
misfitdave

« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 09:53 PM »

So I'm here in San Francisco! Awesome! My kite has found it's way with me and I'm looking forward to a fly this weekend.

I was hoping to fly in Austin as they get winds this time of year but unfortunately it stayed really hot, 100 degrees hot and I had a flare up of gout in my feet. Both feet. Yes pain.

But much better now.

I am jealous I miss your kite festival. It sounded like a very cool affair.

So i'm hoping to fly somewhere which has cool views of the golden gate bridge. I was told crissy field or marina green would grant me that and it has got good winds there at the moment. Is that true? And would I find any other pilots there if the timing was right?

Oh I missed MC Hammer today. Sad no hammer time...

Dave
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2011, 10:12 PM »

I'm game for a fly this weekend.  Crissy Field looks good to me. Especially the beach off pierce st.
DonCrash

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2011, 08:19 AM »

Crissy Field is a nice open space, but the trees and high terrain behind creates a gusty wind shadow. It's definitely a view if we don't have the typical western SF fog, possible for a clearing over the weekend.

Marina Green has better winds unless its SW-ish. W and NW-ish winds are pretty good. But the park isn't very wide.

I think I'm free for saturday to meet up.

Vented L'organic; Vortex; DS (closeted); Quantum (modded to taz); Ocius STD, UL, UL (2pt P90), SUL; Pi (Home made kite)
misfitdave

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2011, 08:47 AM »

Awesome ca ike, is Sunday morn good for you? I can be there how ever early as I don't have family and am on holiday. Vacation that is.

You know it looks like a bright nice bright day.

Maybe Dwayne may join us too.  Wink

Is the fog Around SF even on hot days?

What time roughly would you be thinking of flying?

Hey doncrash thanks for your post I'm happy to fly either of those places but it may need to be Sunday for me. I'd love for my gout to be much better so I have sound flying feet. There are also some performances like whacky Robyn hitchcock at the hardly strictly bluegrass festival which I'm also up for seeing.

Really hope you can make Sunday though.

It'll be cool to meet you.

And others if you can make it.

Cheers

Dave

Jynx
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2011, 10:41 AM »

Dave ~ Milwaukee Wisconsin awaits your arrival on Wednesday!

Hopefully we'll have some WINDerFULL weather for your stay!

Wink ~Jynx

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky."
Jimi Hendrix
Ca Ike

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2011, 11:20 AM »

SUnday will work Dave and since both parks are within a couple blocks of each other if one doesn't work we can run down to the other.   I Was thinking the beach at the marine sanctuary would be a good spot if we can fly there nice open grass and beach area.
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2011, 11:34 AM »

Except for the view, flying at Crissy Field is a lot like flying in the hills many miles from the ocean. Marina Green has better wind conditions but dodging the throngs of people can be a challenge.
Personally, I like Ocean Beach the best. Smooth wind and lots of uncrowded space to fly in.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
misfitdave

« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2011, 12:42 PM »

I'm more than happy to be guided by your suggestions of where to fly. Is marina green the place then. Is 9am aprox a good time?

Oh yeah jynx. I am on me way!

I'm not sure what I'm most excited by, flying or meeting people who love flying too!

Dave.

San fran people must have awesome chalves! The hills have made mine sore!
Ca Ike

« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2011, 04:20 PM »

MArina green, ocean beach or crissy field doesn't matter to me.  Heck I fly inland anyway so if crissy field is bumpy it probably won't be any different than normal for me Tongue  9AM ish sunday will work depending on what traffic does to my hour + Drive Smiley  See ya then Dave and whoever else shows up.
Ca Ike

« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2011, 10:59 PM »

So ocean beach is going to be the spot but where at on the beach?
misfitdave

« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2011, 11:09 PM »

Hey so is it ocean beach then? It's a long beach right.

Near to golden gate park right?

Is there a land mark I can look for at ocean beach?

Dave
Ca Ike

« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2011, 11:19 PM »

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=37.76571,-122.511399&ll=37.765554,-122.511179&spn=0.002927,0.003465&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=23.875,57.630033&num=1&t=h&vpsrc=0&z=18

South parking lot at the south end is what me and doncrash are talking about.  LOt right across from golden gate park.
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document