GWTW Forum
December 21, 2014, 05:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SKECTH'S Dumb Puter' Question for today :)  (Read 1041 times)
Sketch
Trade Count: (0)

« on: August 08, 2011, 08:35 AM »

Bumb-Dumb Question for today?  Roll EyesOn my old DELL HELL Dime-n-sionaldo' 310 puta' with Windows XP...

Over the years I have been using so many of my higher resolution photos for my desk top backgrounds and lately both my wife and I have been changing them pretty consistantly on a daily basis?

QUESTION? Is this habit EATING UP  DISC OR RAM SPACE? IS THEIR A WAY TO DELETE THEM OR ARE THEY AUTOMATICALLY DELETED WHEN WE ATTACH A NEW BACKGROUND PHOTO...n' all that jazz? Huh Shocked

DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 03:57 PM »

if they are hi resolution they maybe a 'larger' file but no more so then any mp3 song. If you are worried goto my computer," C " drive ,click on properties and see how much space it has left.

Sine Metu!
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 05:10 PM »

If you're doing the right click, set as desktop thing they are replacing each other when you choose a new one.

But here is the problem with high res images, that desktop is stored in RAM and in your video memory. I don't know how big they are but guess you're filling 5 - 12 meg of your memory. Go get one of the free photo resizing programs if you don't have something and resize them to your screen resolution. You're old PC will thank you.

Be sure you choose "save as" and change the name so you don't overwrite you're original high res image. I keep a folder on mine called desktops and store all my desktops there after conversion.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 05:21 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Sketch

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 09:28 AM »

A HUGE THANKS FOR MIKE C AND ALSO FOR THE PRIVATE E MAIL FROM MIKE M Cry (exiled in Brookings--one of the most beautiful spots in the nation and for kite flying) for all the good advice and help for  my own sun damaged brain cells and my overstuffed Dell from Hell puter's loss of virtual memory.
Good idea Mike C about keeping my "reduced sized screen saver photos" in its own folder on my WD external hard drive.

My wife mentioned a few minutes ago..that Costco has an HP 1G with 6 memory desktop computer (without monitor) for $449.

If it wasn't for my damaged 401-K which suddenly -since last week...has turned into a -ONONE-K I would replace this old Dell 310 with Windows XP media edition..in a heartbeat.

Hummm?
Windows 7? (is it much betta' bugga' than my Windows XP?)
not to vurrrry' at the moment...

AGAIN MIKE N MIKE!!! FOR ALL THE  PUTER' HELP! (I TRIED CALLING DELL AND COMCAST FIRST...but as usual, on hold forever...and then the line from India put me on hold...must have been  my old Akansas accent was too much  HELL for these far away across the world host of helpers to deal with?Smiley

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum