GWTW Forum
November 24, 2014, 06:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Spectra for SLK  (Read 2043 times)
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« on: August 08, 2011, 10:44 AM »

Hey.

I've taken to flying my SLKs on dual line line sets larks headed together.

Much better performance.

Very little danger of line cuts with no one else around.

This is for kites rated for 30-90lb line, not hard pulling SLK.

What am I missing?
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 11:22 AM »

I thought it was just that the smaller line diameter makes it tougher on your hands and a bit harder to see for any kids running around near a staked line.

Other than that you should be fine.  Smiley

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 11:32 AM »

What am I missing?

That's obviously the main one. Some little kid charging about with a dime store* kite on nylon can cut you down.

Another coupla things to consider are that SLKs take a measure of stability from line drag; thinner lines = less stability, which may be an issue and that less elastic lines like Spectra don't absorb sudden increases in loading such as might happen in gusty conditions.

I too have tried this, albeit with line on a roll to pre-stretch them before making up sets, and in all fairness thicker, easier to handle line was better to fly SLKs on, even on my own with no risk of line cuts.

YMMV, HTH, OMG, etc.

Mike.
* is that the correct cultural reference still ?

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 11:42 AM »

* Still culturally correct.

The elasticity is a good point and one I'd considered.

I must stress this is something I do when no one is around.

Also, the winds are generally very low when doing this, where Dacron will weigh the SLK down to a huge degree.
DD
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 03:53 PM »

i believe a more up to date term would be dollar store

Sine Metu!
Magpiesfooty
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 07:22 PM »

I guess that it could happen, but it would be similar to putting a $5000.00 Paint job and $2000.00 wheels on a 1978 Chevy Chevette.  Really?  I would also weigh the value of the kite in question. One slip and it is gone.  It only takes one wayward kite to slice your line.  I lost a new set of Rev II lines one nice day at the park because of a youngster that could not hang on to his line. I love little kids, especially when they are flying kites, but is this a risk you really want to take?   Cry

Why not use the cheaper more durable dacron?? Economical and effective. You will use it on other SLK, the investment will not be wasted.

Happy Winds.

Magpiesfooty.
ainokea

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 08:23 PM »

Hey.

I've taken to flying my SLKs on dual line line sets larks headed together.

Much better performance.

This is for kites rated for 30-90lb line, not hard pulling SLK.

What am I missing?

Nothing.
I've been flying on Spectra and Kevlar for over 15 years now with no problems. If they're any other flyers near your kite just let them know
where your kite is and what you're flying on. (tell'em your on Kevlar and no one goes near your kite Smiley )
If the kite can lift the line without any problems or major drag, just use it. There's no set rules as to what line to use or how to use it.
Sometimes you don't have what you need, just improvise, simple as that. Then there are times that Spectra shouldn't be used. Like in very strong and gusty winds being that the kite and bridle is taking all the stress, that's when Dacron is a good choice. I've come up with a bungee system for those times. All the stress is on the bungee, not the kite, bridle or the line. Works great, especially when you don't want that particular kite stretched out before it's time. I still have a couple of SLK's that are over 10 years old and are still crispy because of the bungee system.

Take a S.W.A.G. at it.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 12:50 AM »

The main problem as pointed out above is handling the line by hand, thin slippery line can get away from you in a gust and cut you deeply. A good pair of gloves, and walking the kite down before winding up the line will keep that from happening. But really? Those Spectra lines are expensive, why risk them? You can get a 300-500 foot spool of 50, 100, and 160 lb line for less then the cost one set of Spectra lines and that'll cover almost any SLK up to a 2 meter Rok in reasonable winds.

Steve will be happy to send you some  Wink 

These are nice compact spools and won't fill up your bag, one of each will cover you for most conditions
http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=393

And a few other choices
http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewCat&catId=11

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 01:59 PM »

One thing I was told (I may be wrong) was that using a dacron line or line with a small amount of give will reduce the amount of stress that the sail gets when the wind gusts.  With spectra line, the sail takes full force of wind gusts, with dacron line the line will stretch out and pull back, absorbing the gusts and lessening the stress your kite gets.  This will help keep your kite from stretching out over time.  I have seen several larger flow forms and parafoils that were flown on Spectra line exclusively and over time they have had to have the sails re-sewn and/or bridles re-adjusted to compensate for sail stretch.  As the sails stretched out the kite wouldn't sit in the air any longer and would consistently drift to one side until it crashed.

I am not 100% sure that the spectra line was to blame for this, but I can assume that it didn't help keep it from happening.

ainokea

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 08:45 PM »

One thing I was told (I may be wrong) was that using a dacron line or line with a small amount of give will reduce the amount of stress that the sail gets when the wind gusts.  With spectra line, the sail takes full force of wind gusts, with dacron line the line will stretch out and pull back, absorbing the gusts and lessening the stress your kite gets.  This will help keep your kite from stretching out over time.  I have seen several larger flow forms and parafoils that were flown on Spectra line exclusively and over time they have had to have the sails re-sewn and/or bridles re-adjusted to compensate for sail stretch.  As the sails stretched out the kite wouldn't sit in the air any longer and would consistently drift to one side until it crashed.

I am not 100% sure that the spectra line was to blame for this, but I can assume that it didn't help keep it from happening.

Kent,

Read my post above. That is the biggest reason why I do this. (other flyers laughed, but at least my kite's didn't get stretched out like theirs did, they stopped laughing when they saw it work) Granted you've never seen me do it at the park, but then again, we rarely, or don't get the kinds of gusts that Hawaii has. 
Have fun tomorrow night, I'm going to a concert with my brother. Smiley

Take a S.W.A.G. at it.
Dano
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 09:01 PM »

Kent,

... Have fun tomorrow night, I'm going to a concert with my brother. Smiley

"And throw one up for me too."   Wink

back to spectra for slk's
kiteguy
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 06:56 PM »

i believe a more up to date term would be dollar store

The majority of the "Dollar Store" kites come two in a package.... 50 cents per kite.  Even so, pretty high price for trash.   Embarrassed
 (I get them, throw the sticks away, and use the skins for give away fighter kites.  I use fiberglass rods for the bow.  The rods came from the Dollar Store, too.)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum