GWTW Forum
October 25, 2014, 01:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Most Beautiful Kite I Didn't Enjoy Flying  (Read 1626 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: August 09, 2011, 03:02 PM »

Utopia by Flying Wing designed by Martin Schob (TrickTail designer).

It is stunning in its look and I have seen it flown in light winds and 25 mph winds by "simply" changing the many settings. I was never able to get it trained for my heavy hands. Perhaps someday.....

http://www.kitepower.com/reviews/utopiareview.html

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
vigli
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 03:16 PM »

all I can say in 2 words is:
Brian Todd
trick the wind
utopia master
Sketch

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 03:29 PM »

I too....just had to OWN THE UTOPIA..
 Kathy Goodwind ordered one in for me. Took it to Cannon Beach...played with it for about 4 days. At the end of the trip...I managed to get that Utopia tweeked in pretty good except for my pea brained muscle memory bank would kick in at the weirdest times. Grin Shocked

Bottom line:
It still owns a spot in my overstuff kite bag.
I let a fellow addicted  kite-kook long time friend "borrow" that Utopia of mine...and it took almost a year before I could finally smooooze him enough to get it back.

I had found that my friend...had "PAID MY KITE FORWARD to a bunch of other local equally addicted kite addicts and he confessed up that he had lost track of it for most of that year----since his friend had passed it to another n' another etc. Huh

Luck kicked in and finally it made it back to my kite bag.. AT LEAST FOR THE MOMENT... Wink except for sporting a little extra beach rash... but still in one piece...(almost...it took a while to recut a bunch of those missing multi- length standoffs.)

It's alway a hoot and although a little sic' on my part ...it is such a joy to watch some of our most gifted competition flyers...pick up the straps on that UTOPIA for their first experienced fright flight.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011, 03:40 PM by Sketch » Logged
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 05:09 PM »

Utopia by Flying Wings designed by Martin Schob (TrickTail designer).

Amen.

I wanted to love it for the shape but it simply asked for a monogamous commitment from me that I was not prepared to make.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 08:08 PM »

That's what I found. I flew it to the exclusion of all else, and it was great after the (very) steep learning curve, but then wandered off to fly some other kites and came back to find myself at square one again.

The Utopia is a harsh mistress.
Lee S
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 11:32 PM »

One time, maybe a dozen years ago or more, Brian Todd let me fly his well tuned Utopia. For just a brief moment, I was able to see kite flying in a whole new way. Of course, later when I owned one (hasn't everyone Wink) I realized I lacked the patience and discipline to ever get one to work as well for me. I had to be satisfied with watching Brian fly his Utopia, and his Trick Tails. But I'll always remember that one dance......
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 03:27 AM »

+1   Roll Eyes

SL7, no problem. Utopia - I just couldn't give up flying everything else

RonG
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2011, 06:04 AM »

SL7, no problem. Utopia - I just couldn't give up flying everything else

Yep.  SL7 - different, weird, but a fun ride.  Utopia, couldn't connect at all and it didn't seem worth the effort required.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 07:22 AM »

Yep, always loved the looks of the kite, IMO it's the most unique looking Dual Line ever made. After flying Steve's I went on a hunt for one and was lucky enough to find a brand new one "In the Bag" through the Swap Meet . After replacing all the fittings, which broke an hour or so after assembling the kite and hanging it on the wall, it was good to go. Sure I can't trick the thing much, they do take a different touch, but I can't trick anything much. It's still a very enjoyable kite to just do some Old Skool flying with when the wind is right.

Too many adjustments and fiddling with things to assemble it and that bag is so big plus those Dynamic T8's & 10's are too fragile to stuff it in a bag full of other kites so it doesn't get out very often.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2011, 07:36 AM »

This has to be the most in agreement we've ever been on any subject ever. I'm highly tempted to lock this thread right now before some malcontent jumps in and tries to tell us that the Ute is the bestest kite evah and does "all the tricks" and never breaks and.... is wrong.

Wink

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
brettgrant99
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 07:52 AM »

I disagree.  Well, I don't disagree about how fragile it is, especially the standoff connectors.  I dislike those more than the T8's.  And it certainly won't do certain tricks, but as I thought of all of the kites I have owned, I couldn't think of a multi-line stunt kite that I didn't enjoy flying.

The closest was probably the Opium, but upon further reflection, I didn't like assembling it.  I did enjoy flying it, and I thought that it looked cool.

I tried a Rok, but didn't really enjoy it.

I never thought the Utopia was hard to assemble, but maybe that was because I had a deca - that was tough to set up.  I could be up and flying a Utopia in about 3 minutes.  The walk to the kitefield and unwinding the lines would always be the most time consuming.  That is if nothing was broken  Grin

Brett

Brett

formally known as grantb
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2011, 08:24 AM »

The one trick that my Utopia absolutely adores is turtles. Get her in a turtle, and she hangs there, floating on her tail sail, and it's very hard to get her out.

Mike should know, I've got his Utopia; she's still monogamous, but in a serial way  Wink

Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2011, 10:22 AM »

I wanted to love it for the shape but it simply asked for a monogamous commitment from me that I was not prepared to make.

That sums it up for me too.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change