GWTW Forum
April 24, 2014, 08:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Most Elusive Flying Machine  (Read 3981 times)
ndcmpc
Trade Count: (+21)

« on: August 10, 2011, 01:42 PM »

MEFM Maxi has been found.  Mr. Ray Bordelon of Big Easy Kites came though with one of the approximate 50 of these ever built - his own personal kite.  Thanks, Ray for letting me own this classic.

In honor of the occasion, I pulled out a couple other big wing classics.  A fun afternoon.

Flight Log

Doug
Blue Moon Geek
61/49: The most fun you can have with only one line
brettgrant99
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 05:44 PM »

Its been like 10 years, a new gwtw owner, and a couple iterations of the board, right? Roll Eyes

Congratulations,
Brett

Brett

formally known as grantb
Stardragon
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 06:10 PM »

This isn't April 1st, Doug.

Ron
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 09:11 PM »

Hallelujah!
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 10:04 PM »

Mauler, MEFM Maxi..... if KiteAddiction.com comes back then I might start to think that these omens portend the coming of The End Times.

Mike,
repent.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Mauler
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 05:53 PM »

Mauler, MEFM Maxi..... if KiteAddiction.com comes back then I might start to think that these omens portend the coming of The End Times.

Mike,
repent.

Well, I wouldn't say I'm "back", really.  Just bored Smiley

At this point, I'm still doing more beer drinking than kite flying!  Gotta get my butt out to the field more often.  But quite honestly, I'm not sure what happened to the kiting scene.  10 years ago it was a whole lot more exciting to be around here.  Used to be a hundred posts per day, lots more kites for sale at GWTW (now Chico Kites), and new tricks coming out.  I remember when videos of the French trick fliers started to circulate.  Wow, very eye-opening and jaw-dropping stuff.  Back then, there was new L'Atelier, R-Sky, Blue Moon (and others) kite designs coming out all the time, the introduction of Nirvana, Transfer, Masque, etc. plus quad lines too -- Rev Supersonic, power kites, etc.  I just don't see that nowadays;  GWTW sells *zero* quad line kites now.  Prism and Flying Wings comprise 90% of the dual-line kites that GWTW sells now.  Gone are all the R-Sky, L'Atelier, Level One, Cavaliers du Ciel, Benson, and many more kitemakers.  I don't know what happened.

Also, it seems like there were lots more independent kitemakers back then... Lam Hoac, Dreamweaver, Graziano, myself, and others that I can't remember right now.  Things seem to have faded quite a bit over the last several years.

BTW, I really liked those old advertisements and catalogs.  I have a few Into The Wind catalogs from the early 90s sitting in my basement.  I love looking through those from time to time.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 07:57 PM by Mauler » Logged
Netling

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2012, 05:12 PM »

MEFM Maxi has been found.  Mr. Ray Bordelon of Big Easy Kites came though with one of the approximate 50 of these ever built - his own personal kite.  Thanks, Ray for letting me own this classic.

In honor of the occasion, I pulled out a couple other big wing classics.  A fun afternoon.

Well, I might have one of the fifty... I worked at pro-kites in panama city beach in the early to mid ninties and bought a big easy mefm and still have it... It been in storage a long time and thinking about selling it... Thoughts? You can contact me at 719 area code 387-7200, Chuck
coop

« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2012, 05:14 PM »

I might be very interested in the mefm.

TOTL Hawaiian Spinoff(2), TOTL Hawaiian Team(2), TOTL Windrule, TOTL NSR, HQ Passion, MEFM(Aust.), MEFM vented(Aus), MEFM(2), BMK Mamba, HQ Tramontana, NoNaMe, Stranger, Psycho, Atomic Wedgee, BMK Mantis UL, TOTL Sizzle
whitebirdlover
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 05:16 PM »

Now in the hands of "a gentleman and a scholar".....

Anthony
ndcmpc

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2012, 08:37 PM »

Well, I might have one of the fifty... I worked at pro-kites in panama city beach in the early to mid ninties and bought a big easy mefm and still have it... It been in storage a long time and thinking about selling it... Thoughts? You can contact me at 719 area code 387-7200, Chuck

MEFM or Maxi-MEFM?  I have plenty of the MEFMs.  I would consider another Maxi.  What color/design is it?  Ray made some with curved panels and some with straight and even a few with butterfly designs.

I will give you a call tomorrow.  Don't suspect you would appreciate a call this late.

Flight Log

Doug
Blue Moon Geek
ndcmpc

« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2012, 07:49 AM »

[...] if KiteAddiction.com comes back

I wonder what ever happened to that Yellow, Blue & Black BMK Mako that was the prize to be awarded to the person with the closest guess to KiteAddiction.com's return?

I don't recall my prediction, but can I claim the Mako if I find the elusive website?  Behold!

http://www.kiteaddiction.com.au/

Heh, heh, heh  Wink
« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 07:51 AM by ndcmpc » Logged

Flight Log

Doug
Blue Moon Geek
Netling

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2012, 07:18 PM »

Hi Everyone,

Sorry, I've had a crazy weekend and didn't have time to get photos but will get them tomorrow (Monday).

Thanks,
Chuck
ndcmpc

« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2012, 12:56 PM »

Hi Everyone,

Sorry, I've had a crazy weekend and didn't have time to get photos but will get them tomorrow (Monday).

Thanks,
Chuck

Looking forward to seeing it.

Flight Log

Doug
Blue Moon Geek
Netling

« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2012, 08:54 AM »

Hi Everyone,

Thanks,
Chuck

Sorry for the delay, personal issues.  Here is a link to my flickr account as the photos was to large and to many to post here.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/89177713@N03/sets/72157631851083010/

Also the video is limited to 1:30, so I will edit to allow you to see the height on it's side... I'm 5'6" and it's 3 feet over me.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 08:59 AM by Netling » Logged
coop

« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2012, 11:21 AM »

I dont think thats a Maxi. Just an early MEFM before the clamshell fittings.

TOTL Hawaiian Spinoff(2), TOTL Hawaiian Team(2), TOTL Windrule, TOTL NSR, HQ Passion, MEFM(Aust.), MEFM vented(Aus), MEFM(2), BMK Mamba, HQ Tramontana, NoNaMe, Stranger, Psycho, Atomic Wedgee, BMK Mantis UL, TOTL Sizzle
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography