GWTW Forum
October 23, 2014, 01:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Most Elusive Flying Machine  (Read 4418 times)
ndcmpc
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2012, 01:34 PM »

Nice color.  It looks like it was a custom build.  The keel has the lollipop color, but the stock lollipop had rainbow colors on the wings, not the blue, purple black stripes like you see here. 

You didn't provide enough detail to determine if it is a Maxi MEFM or just a regular one, but I suspect it is the latter.  If it is 3 feet taller than you across the wingtips when assembled, it is likely a regular size MEFM, as they run a little over 8 feet wingtip to wingtip.  The maxi runs a bit over 10 feet wingtip to wingtip. 

Doug
Blue Moon Geek
61/49: The most fun you can have with only one line
Michel
Trade Count: (+12)

« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2012, 12:26 AM »

I dont think thats a Maxi. Just an early MEFM before the clamshell fittings.

I don't think so...  Wink

It's probably a Maxi because we can see on the video :

- The nose is larger as on the classic MEFM,
- The spine seems to be in two parts and is ferruled.

Have a look on the trailing edge on the back of the sail. Ray Bordelon always signed his kites there.

P.S. : how is called this MEFM color ? purple rainbow? it's not a lollipop I think but a custom MEFM (Most Expensive Flying Machine  Wink ).

« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 01:22 AM by Tataouine » Logged
Netling
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2012, 12:52 PM »

Hi Everyone,

Please let me know exactly what you would like from me.

1. Measure the wing tip to tip.
2. Measure spine length.
3. Look for signature. (I know it originally had one and I lightly looked for it but not on the back.)
4. Huh

Let me know what else you would like.  I do know that this was an early one, because when I was working at Pro-Kites Unlimited it was a huge deal about getting one of the first...  Jason (I forgot his last name), owner of Pro-Kites Unlimited had access to almost anything but didn't get one of these because they only had one to sell and I bought it, he didn't mind, he was really cool like that.

Thanks for the input so far!

Regards,
Chuck
coop
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2012, 01:05 PM »

Wing tip to tip measurment should do it. Maxi's were a bit over ten feet.
Michel

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2012, 01:17 PM »

Hi Everyone,

2. Measure spine length.
3. Look for signature. (I know it originally had one and I lightly looked for it but not on the back.)

1 measure : 30 seconds time ?  Wink
2 measures: 1 minute ?  Wink
2 measures + a look for signature : 1 minute 10 ?  Wink

=> You can give all three !  Cheesy
ndcmpc

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2012, 07:17 PM »

Hi Everyone,

2. Measure spine length.
4. Huh

Let me know what else you would like.  I do know that this was an early one, because when I was working at Pro-Kites Unlimited it was a huge deal about getting one of the first...  Jason (I forgot his last name), owner of Pro-Kites Unlimited had access to almost anything but didn't get one of these because they only had one to sell and I bought it, he didn't mind, he was really cool like that.

Thanks for the input so far!

Regards,
Chuck

Hi Chuck,

When we talked, I asked for the length of the leading edge from the nose to the tip.  That is the best measurement IMHO.  Wingtip to wingtip only works if the kite is correctly assembled.  I don't care about the spine or signatures.

Differences between the MEFM - leading edge about 60", spine about 39".  Maxi - leading edge about 80", spine about 49".  I say about, because there could be slight differences based on generations and how one measures.

Let us know what you discover.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 08:03 PM by ndcmpc » Logged

Doug
Blue Moon Geek
ndcmpc

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2012, 07:59 PM »

I dont think thats a Maxi. Just an early MEFM before the clamshell fittings.

I don't think so...  Wink

It's probably a Maxi because we can see on the video :

- The nose is larger as on the classic MEFM,
- The spine seems to be in two parts and is ferruled.

Have a look on the trailing edge on the back of the sail. Ray Bordelon always signed his kites there.

P.S. : how is called this MEFM color ? purple rainbow? it's not a lollipop I think but a custom MEFM (Most Expensive Flying Machine  Wink ).

I have a couple of Ray's kites with no markings (and yes, I know to look on the back).  I did find some faint ink on the back of one often flown MEFM using a magnifying glass that I thought lacked a marking, so apparently the pen he used sometimes wore off if the kite was well used.  Another MEFM has none.  I have a couple other MEFMs that are marked.  I have two basically new, old stock EFMs with no signature, so it didn't wear off of them.  My featherweights and M2s are marked.  My Maxi-MEFM is not marked, but it was one Ray built for himself, so that may be the reason.  So you won't always find a signature.

Good point on the ferruled spine.  My Maxi is ferruled, but the ferrule is internal, not external and is above the spine.  Mine is a later generation with wrapped rods and the clamshell spreader connectors.  That might be an indicator, but I would still rather have the leading edge measurements.

I agree on the color.  It must be a custom.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 08:08 PM by ndcmpc » Logged

Doug
Blue Moon Geek
coop
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2012, 08:04 PM »

Wanna sell an EFM? Grin
Michel

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2012, 09:58 PM »

For the signature : of course, all the kites built ​​by Ray Bordelon are not signed, or the signature is sometimes deleted...

But when they are signed, the signature is always at the back of the trailing edge.

It costs nothing to check !  Wink

Netling

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2012, 06:55 PM »

Hi Everyone,

Sorry, a minute here and there is tough when you are moving, 288 miles away from storage and I'm also traveling, so I'm in Florida right now!  However, before I left I took photos with some paper measuring 'tape', you can check out the photos on my Flickr account. (See earlier post for the link.)  Additionally, being that I am near Boulder Colorado, I believe Into The Wind has a shop there that I can get them to look at the MEFM.  Upon my return I will get better measurements, sorry was in a hurry and my tool box is packed up... working with what I've had in hand. :-)

I couldn't find a signature but I do remember one... I also did clean the kite a couple of time because it got dirty a couple of times, so either it got washed off or came off over time.

As for selling, yes I am interested in selling this to a good home.

Regards,
Chuck
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 07:13 PM by Netling » Logged
ndcmpc

« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2012, 08:01 PM »

No need for more measurements.  Your measurements showed what I needed.  Your spine and LE measurements make it a regular MEFM, not a Maxi.  I have plenty MEFMs, so I will pass.

Thanks for taking the time to show it to us.  Hopefully someone else will be interested.

Doug
Blue Moon Geek
Netling

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2012, 03:34 PM »

Hi All,

Ok, so after a moving two houses, a conference, thanksgiving and a few other crazy things, I'm back.  Was there anything else anyone wanted to know about this?  Is there any of you interested in buying it?  I am now living near Boulder and going to take it to Into The Wind to be fixed... any thought?

Thanks,
Chuck
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change