GWTW Forum
November 27, 2014, 05:24 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solus Standard #01, and UltraLite #01.  (Read 6749 times)
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« on: August 11, 2011, 01:08 AM »

Hey guys,
It's been awhile sence we've mentioned anything about the Solus from skyburner (new for 2012) so we figured I'd post something and keep everyone in the loop. The Solus Standard and UL #1 have arrived in Michigan and are going through final testing. Jons back in action, first sails have been sewn and shipped and we've got everything SO CLOSE we can taste it. The kite will be in full swing soon. Those of you who've flown the kite at kite party, we've made the extra offset just a little bit longer, and moved the fittings on the upper spreader down just a little bit to make tracking even better. We had the kite flying in 20mph winds today, and all the way down to about 4 as the night went on, and it's been doing well. Keep your eyes pealed and I'll keep updating this as things move forward into the final stage of things. Pics of the standard #1 below, with the Solus Logo, designed by Wayne Brunjies (thanks Wayne!).

For those of you who didn't go to kite party, the Solus is a bigger kite (larger then the WM) that's got all the tricks in it, but keeps a consistent speed in high winds which makes it suitable for team flying and competition. Tricks like a Widowmaker with quick rollups and all that jazz, but with just as light of an input, or lighter. We've had quite a few people test the kite, so maybe we can get a few of them to chime in and elaborate more on the kite and what they think.

Some quick frame specs on the standard:
Lower Leading Edges, and Lower Spreaders are Nitros (Black Diamond clear coat LSs)
Spine is a P300
Upper Spreader is a P100

Anywho, here's the Standard Solus, #1. Custom Sail.

UL pics, more standard pics (both on the 2nd page of this thread), and a video of both coming soon!

New for 2012. Design by Jon Trennepohl and Devin Cobleigh-Morrison. Graphics by Wayne Brunjies.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 01:31 PM by adx1592 » Logged

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
adx1592

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 01:11 AM »

Also here are some pics of the first generation PROTOTYPE in Grand Haven this year.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 01:49 AM »

My first, on purpose, double yo-yo was with that prototype. I offered to buy it from Jon on the spot as is.

You've got a great kite there Devin. Alex Herzog loved it also and he was making it work out.

The black/white custom sail looks sweet too.  Smiley  When is the colorizer going up?  Tongue

« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 01:57 AM by chilese » Logged

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
adx1592

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 01:58 AM »

Your kind words mean a lot John, thank you  Smiley! The colorizer will go up in a matter of days. I'll keep you posted.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 07:32 AM by adx1592 » Logged

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
adx1592

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 08:21 AM »

Some more pics provided by Joe Vern (Vertigo2u). Thanks Joe!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 09:50 AM »

I only flew the kite for a few minutes but I liked it a lot. There's wasn't enough room to really fly the thing (and it was on short lines) but it was very easy to trick. Didn't feel as big as it is. Surprising was my comment at the time.

Allen, AKA kitehead
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 01:49 PM »

As soon as Jon and Devin can stop flying, we should have one here in Vegas for demo's as well.  I am really excited about this big wing kite and can't wait to finally fly the final version.  The Proto at KP was awesome, hard to realize that now it is even better.

vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 02:25 PM »

Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

Can not tell you the feel of this kite... I have had to keep my mouth shut for months....  High wind forget it...It will fly like a vented only lighter... I flew both the same day ... Huh.  Last night I did two rungs of a Jacob's Ladder ......... kite did it.  540's a joke.. axels let it do it for you .  I am not allowed to say I ordered one like Devins............for pairs ... It will improve your flying every time you fly it..

If your a Novice flyer or improved beginner... Buy This Kite..( when production begins )  early Christmas present ..........  You won't change kites, you'll change line strength.

Very smooth tracking and no over steer.

The great and very good flyer's will go crazy over it ...........  Watching Devin spank it is exciting in itself.  The little Creep-O sets his goal of breaking something.  Slams it down on the wings and they flex to his demand.  He fly's hard and fast with heavy pull... When I take the lines I need them changed two notches. 

We fly Sunday..maybe a video with "Little Creep-O" flying the heck out of it ..then me taking over on same settings would give a clear understanding of the kites versatility... Huh  Many tricks vs. a dog and pony show from a four trick pony like myself... Cheesy Cheesy ... Been learning a lot flying it.  BTW ... 540's ... "...Foe get about it ...". Undecided

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 04:19 PM »

Oh, great... another kite that I NEED to have...

Well, it's good news that it's a BIG kite, I like that... the graphics are nice, can't wait to mess with the colorizer.

So, this takes the place of the Widow Maker ? Should I scratch the WM UL off of my short list of kites to get next, and just go for a Solus ?

Any explaination of what the Solus does better than the WM ? The WM has been my goto kite for ~6 months, and of all the kites I have, it's most suited to my kind of flying. In other words... it does what I expect it to when I ask it to, nothing unexpected.

When's the demo going to make it to the east coast ?  Grin

~Rob.

adx1592

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 08:35 PM »

Thanks for the thoughts and impressions, everyone. Smiley

Rob, it really depends on what you like. I'll be updating this thread a lot on updates with the kites, especially the UL. Picking it up and tying bridles for it with Jon tomorrow at 10am.

The Solus is bigger, flies slower (tricks about the same speed at the WM though), and has more of a 'presence' in the sky. I love both and I think they compliment each other very, VERY well. If you have high winds though and you feel the WM gets faster, I'd get a std Solus and use that as almost a higher wind extension for the WM std. Using it with the brakes that Jon sells too is also a great idea. Still flies great. This kite rolls up faster than the WM, and all around requires a lighter touch then on the WM as well. PM me if you have any more questions and I'd be glad to answer anything for you to the best of my abilities.

Another update- I think the standard is totally dialed in. I moved the upper spreader down just a bit more (then did all kinds of expirements with sizes of tubes in there, placements with different sizes, etc) and with a stock U.S. with it lower then we moved it wednesday, the kite tracks better and is even smoother, and pitches way better. This is the fist time I've done really clean Inverses, Rolled up Cyniques, and my first good YoFade with ANY kite. Nothing else trick wise or flight wise is sacrificed with this new placement. Fades are a lot better as well, and they were solid to begin with. I think the biggest noticeable difference is now the kite flies about as smooth as a babies but, to be blunt. Winds were about 2mph up to about 7mph. I felt like a kid in a candy store- this is the first time all summer I've really enjoyed flying by myself and just loving a quiet place and a kite bouncing around at the end of my lines. Video soon, hopefully filming on sunday or saturday.

I'm picking up the UL tomorrow and am really going to be moving things around and cranking on it as much as possible as I can the next few days, to get the absolute best result I can. Will keep everyone posted and will post some pics before I have to deal with the dinner rush at work tomorrow night!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 12:49 AM »

Webshots popups...  GRRRRRR!!   Angry

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 04:51 AM »

My first, on purpose, double yo-yo was with that prototype. I offered to buy it from Jon on the spot as is.

You've got a great kite there Devin. Alex Herzog loved it also and he was making it work out.

The black/white custom sail looks sweet too.  Smiley  When is the colorizer going up?  Tongue

Nice pic, John!

zippy8
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 08:04 AM »

we've made the extra offset just a little bit longer
So it looks like I'm the only person who doesn't understand what this means  Embarrassed

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Winged V
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 09:53 AM »

Nope.

adx1592

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 09:57 AM »

Hey guys, I'll take pics of the standard tonight with what the bridle changed. Off to test the UL right now. My cameras charged, I'll have them up after work tonight.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Pages: [1] 2 ... 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum