GWTW Forum
October 23, 2014, 02:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Solus Standard #01, and UltraLite #01.  (Read 6560 times)
bryan beasley
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 11:16 AM »

Offset = 'Turbo' / 'Reverse Turbo' ? maybe.

Bryan
RonG
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2011, 11:21 AM »

we've made the extra offset just a little bit longer
So it looks like I'm the only person who doesn't understand what this means  Embarrassed

It means they overcame the problem of excessive onset.  The bane of any kite designer.

Pretty sure that's it.... Roll Eyes

chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2011, 12:49 PM »

The extra offset is similar to the king's new clothes. Only us cool people can see them.

Zippy8, you are not cool enough to see the new clothes.  Roll Eyes

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2011, 12:52 PM »

The knots aren't easy to see, but the Offset is also known as the yolk I think. The short leg on a turbo bridle.
Originally we started as a 3 point, then a turbo, then made that leg longer at KP9, then I made it even longer on wednesday. This is the only shot I could get with the knots kind of visible, the rest were really hard to see (well, even harder to see), even after being enhanced by Iphoto. The slack leg you see on the right is the lower outhaul.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 01:39 PM by adx1592 » Logged

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
adx1592

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2011, 01:07 PM »

Got to test the UL today  Smiley
Picked it up from the shop and got to go out for awhile. I'm really pleased with this one. The upper spreader fittings are still lower like the standard, but the Upper Outhaul leg is shorter just a little bit. Kept the nose just a litttttle bit forward and its flying really nice.

For those wondering how to compare to a UL WidowMaker, picture a bigger kite, still slower, thats capable of 1 pop roll ups, Good WapDoWaps, etc. 540/slots are still easy as pie & super flat. JLs, Multilazies, Cyniques, snaplazys, and insanes (etc) are good too- the kite's been pitching well enough to really knock it around when its on its back. Also capable of 2 rotations when you hit a lazy susan really hard.

Tracking is really nice and the kites flying really smooth. Good pull in light winds and it doesn't get finicky in high winds either. Winds today were 2mph gusting to 10mph. Square cuts are clean and  there isn't any oversteer, and the UL will sit there and wait for your next move after its put into a stall (even in high winds). Holds a fade great as well.

Some frame specs on the UL-
ULE and LLE are 2pts
Lower Spreaders are 3pt black diamond clear coat
Spine is a p100

Some pics start linked to the first pics, but I'll post some extras too.

And both kites together-
« Last Edit: August 12, 2011, 01:41 PM by adx1592 » Logged

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2011, 01:25 PM »

2PT leading edges?

Do you have a weight for the standard and UL?

Just wondering.

adx1592

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2011, 01:28 PM »

Same weight as the WM (19 grams) for the Standard Solus, and about 10ish grams for the Ultralite Solus (as well as the ultralite WM). Smiley

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2011, 03:27 PM »

I think John meant, the all up weight, like 11.2 ounces for the Std and 8.5 for the UL.

Am I close?

Smiley

Allen, AKA kitehead
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2011, 12:08 PM »

Where's the video?

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
vertigo2u

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2011, 02:38 PM »

Just dropped off the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$  Cool

I am getting #2 std.  I was able to get the colorizer from Jon.... Some other's may be getting an e mail with it....

Planned on matching the kites for pairs...............  But I may have to get the Ul matching.  The colorizer will have me up for a week... I may go with some Black,Dk.gray,Lt. gray, orange,white...........  John Chelise do you have a photo of the other proto type Huh  It was auctioned at Kite Party .... 2011'.

New Widow Maker coming next week to match Ul .... sold Yellow and Black WM and Delta Drive ... I felt like the guys in Apollo 13 .  Saying good bye to a beautiful ship and memories.  She flew in 1-2mph wind yesterday on our last time together I did axels,540's,fade,turtle and lazy susan,,, almost didn't sell.

Denny,  You do not want to see the video..................  It is fantastic.  Very good production and views of the kite.  Not the crap ola' I put out.  Real professionally done by Wayne Burnjies.  It's coming soon.  I watched it twice today... It is really nice..

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
mccjoh03

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2011, 03:41 PM »

When are you going to send it down my way?  both of them look good.  Did the bridle change much since i last flew it?
adx1592

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2011, 05:50 PM »

John/Allen- we don't have a 'weighed' weight yet, but I'll let you know asap.

Joe- I'm really glad you got #2! I'll call you tonight with details about flying tomorrow in the next few mins. Hopefully the rain will hold off.

John M- Thanks! The bridles have changed, yes. The offset on the turbo bridle is bigger, and the upper spreader fittings have been moved down as well.

Denny- Wayne did a video, yes. I will also be doing them with the kites pictured. Standard and UL vids to come asap. Hopefully we'll get good weather, as I'm leaving in exactly one week for chicago for move in. Will keep you posted!

Got to fly the UL in high winds today. Flew it around 12-14 on the 3nd knot from the bottom and it was doing really well. No chatter and good speed control. The 2pts hold up really well in a bigger kite. Nothing finicky in high winds with the UL, very solid. Again, video coming soon!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 07:13 PM by adx1592 » Logged

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
coogee

« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2011, 06:48 PM »

Hi
    are both the ULE and LLE nitros on the Std. I like the sail graphics good looking kite!
 Mike
adx1592

« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2011, 07:12 PM »

Yessir! Nitros in both LE's, and the Lower spreaders. Thanks for the kind words  Smiley

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
chilese
Global Moderator

« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2011, 09:09 PM »

John Chelise do you have a photo of the other proto type Huh  It was auctioned at Kite Party .... 2011'.

First of 2 photos (flown by JonT) starts at linked picture below:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change