GWTW Forum
September 01, 2014, 04:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: E3 or Silver Fox?  (Read 3172 times)
AKA_MrBill
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: August 14, 2011, 10:39 AM »

OK, here's the scoop.
My son, now 21 has re-located to the S.F. Bay area. While visiting him there yesterday, my wife and I met him at Cesar Chavez park, ten minutes from his house. The three of us spent hours carving up the sky. None of us are very experienced at kiting, but we love it anyway. My son had never flown a dual line until yesterday, but he took to it like a duck to water. My wife enjoyed watching him so much that she asked me if I would mind giving him my Prism Hypnotist, as long as I could replace it. Well, let me say, when an opportunity comes like that, I take it!

So, here is the question: I have a budget that would allow me to get an E3 or Silver Fox 2.3. I am looking to start tricking a bit more but am fairly novice at this point. Which of these two would be a better choice" Or, is there something else I should consider?
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2011, 10:54 AM »

I would go to the silver fox for tricks, hands down. Also, don't forget about the Freestylist from Skyburner, which is also excellent. The premier widow is also another great choice.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2011, 11:09 AM »

They are both competent kites.

To me, the E3 feels stiffer and more immediate. It's purely a personal thing. People will tell you which one they like best, not what might be best for you. For me, I would easily choose the E3 over the Silver Fox.

Can you tell us what kites you have flown and which ones of those you have liked?

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
Hadge
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2011, 11:12 AM »

I would spend another $50 or so and get the Flying Wings Soul it's a really nice kite and very very capable, build quality is excellent too!

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 11:54 AM »

He did say he had a budget. Many of us go past our budget.  Roll Eyes

And yes, the Soul is an excellent trick kite for the money.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2011, 12:47 PM »

If its at all possible for you, I'd suggest you save up another $40 or $50 and buy a used JoE Talon,  BMK Exile, or SB Widow Maker. These kites are a step up in quality and performance. They'll last you a long while and help you reach your goals faster.
Just my opinion of course.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
AKA_MrBill

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 02:03 PM »

Excellent feedback everyone, thank you!
Sorry, as part of the agreement with my wife, I will be sticking to my budget. That is one way I keep my wife of 25 years happy!
To answer another question, I own a Nexus, a Micron, a Hypnotist and a flashlight. My favorite. Is the Hypnotist, which I gave away.
I am not stuck on Prism kites, I just own 4. So, there you have it.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 06:37 AM by AKA_MrBill » Logged
Flying High

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2011, 01:08 AM »

He did say he had a budget. Many of us go past our budget.  Roll Eyes

And yes, the Soul is an excellent trick kite for the money.

I'm a believer of buying kites well beyond your capabilities and spending the time studying how to do the tricks. It's a hard road at the start and you may even break a few pieces but I have spent thousands of dollars on kites and the higher end kites are just a pleasure to fly. I'm an extremely big fan of the flying wings Soul, I have purchased 4 but that's me. So If you can stretch the budget just a little get a Soul, I think our old mate is right on the money, If I only knew what I know now - famous last words for everyone!!! My wife just smiles at me now when I mention a new kite but there are so many amazing kites for you to choose from at the moment.

Cheers
Keith
Australia
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 09:58 AM »

If this hasn't sold snatch it up:

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=5543.0
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2011, 10:08 AM »

The Insync from the people who brought you the SF:

http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=270

A very capable kite that has been overlooked by many.
Hadge

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2011, 11:10 AM »

Excellent feedback everyone, thank you!
Sorry, as part of the agreement with my wife, I will be sticking to my budget. That is one way I keep my wife of 25 years happy!
To answer another question, I own a Nexus, a Micron, a Hypnotist and a flashlight. My favorite. Is the Hypnotist, which I gave away.
I am not stuck on Prism kites, I just own 4. So, there you have it.

I can appreciate you're on a budget and need to to keep your good lady happy ( I have the same problem!) but if there is any way you can call in any brownie points to put the extra $50 to your budget the Soul really is worth it, I'm sure you wouldn't be disappointed. ( Jobs around the house usually work for me!  Wink)

I have just been flying my Soul  this evening - It's been in the 'B' bag for a while as I've been flying other stuff -...it's now firmly back in the 'A' bag ...Soooo nice.

Age and cunning will always overcome youth and skill!

In the bag - HQ Shadow, Prism 4D, Flying Wings Soul Mid Vent, HQ Jive (1), Spiderkites Zodarion, 'Paw' modded HQ Maestro ll, HQ Delta Hawk.
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2011, 04:18 PM »

The Soul is a very under-rated kite.  It doesn't get near the respect is deserves.

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2011, 07:35 PM »

The Insync from the people who brought you the SF:

http://www.chicokites.com/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=270

A very capable kite that has been overlooked by many.
I'll 2nd this.  ITs an excelent kite at a good price and Bob is a great guy to deal with if it hasn't sold already.  IF you do stick with prism I would opt for the zeph over the E3 since its a more well rounded kite and has a better low end wind range.  The biggest question is what winds you normally fly in because that will affect kite choice.  The E3 has about the same wind range as your hypnotist where the Zephyr gets tough to trick in the wind the E3 and hypnotist come alive in.
AKA_MrBill

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 12:56 PM »

If this hasn't sold snatch it up:

http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=5543.0

Thanks for the heads up Jim! Bob and I made a deal and it is in the mail already.
Now I just need good wind and time to learn more. Heck, I'm still working on a good snap stall.
Well, at least I know this kite will allow me to learn any trick I want it to do. Right now this kite is way better than the pilot.  Grin
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 08:17 PM »

Righteous score.

Wink
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document