GWTW Forum
April 25, 2014, 01:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flexifoil Hyper 16 spars  (Read 4604 times)
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+79)

« on: August 15, 2011, 05:46 PM »

OK, so yesterday @ the local fly I broke out the old school Flexifoil Hyper 16 for the first time since I've had it.  We managed to launch it with little to no issues, had it on about 130' lines with a homemade bar.  About 30 seconds into the flight we heard this loud "crack" and then you saw the kite kind of fold in half at the top of the wind window.  I then landed it off to the right side of the window to inspect it and cry.  Heh.  Wink

Anyway, he's the odd thing.  One of the 11mm solid carbon rods snapped right at the ferrule (external).  Weird part was the kite wasn't even under load when it happened.  The carbon rods were the last thing I thought would fail, but hey what do I know.  It snapped completely in half at one point and has a 10" split down the center of the long section.  Does solid carbon have a shelf-life?  According to the guy I got the Flexi from it was never flown, and the carbon rods did not appear stressed or fractured at all.

Soo... anyone know where to get solid carbon 11mm rod?  I've looked around online a bit and haven't seen anything in that size.  Most I have found jumps from about 9.5mm to 12.5mm.  I've emailed Steve to see if he has anything so we'll see.

I'm tempted to try building a LE spar out of Rev SLE rods to see how that does.  Not sure they would flex enough for a Flexifoil though.

pics of the damage:

thanks,
  Mike
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 03:37 PM by Smeagol » Logged
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 08:51 PM »

That thing sounded like a gunshot when it went!   Smiley

Sorry for your loss.  Sad

Did you check with Steve?

Allen, AKA kitehead
Smeagol

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 12:21 AM »

Thanks Allen.  I'll get it going again one of these days.  Cry

Yes I checked with Steve but he doesn't have anything.  I'm thinking it was some oddball size Flexifoil used years back.  This thing could be 15+ years old easy.

-Mike
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 02:05 AM »

Maybe check with Cobra Kites.

Do a web search.

They are probably the most likely source for hard to find Flexi stuff in the USA or you could just contact Flexifoil directly and see if they have any ideas.
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 08:29 AM »

carbon-team has solid carbon rods ranging from 1-20mm diameter in 1mm steps and length of 1m, 2m, and longer.
Smeagol

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 11:08 AM »

Thanks all for the suggestions!

ae pointed me to that place in Germany, but at $35US ea. for a replacement I might try my Rev SLE spar idea first.  Not to mention they want 125 euros ($180US) for shipping.  ??  Huh  Uhhh, yeah.. I think I'll be going with the SLE idea.  Hah!

I did a web search, didn't come up with anything that size, most places will have a 9.5 or 9.7mm and then jump to 12.5mm.  I will try Cobra Kites & Flexifoil but the last time I asked them anything about a Hyper 16 they said they didn't have any parts related to that kite, it was a special-order item, etc.

thanks,
  Mike
rknauss

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 03:13 PM »

Mike,
I sold a 16' Flexifoil to a forum member several years ago to someone on the east coast (i think).
I bought it around 1988. Came from Indentified Flying Objects in Atlanta.
It was a solid gold color and was anything but hyper, pure slow and powerful. I was also told it was a special order kite.
I broke a couple of the tapered end spars but never the center spars. I'm 99% sure those center spars were fiberglass. If they worked back then, I'm sure they'ld work today.
Good luck,
Rick   
Smeagol

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 03:51 PM »

Hmm, that's odd.  These center spars definitely look like solid carbon to me.  Do they make fiberglass in solid black?  The tapered fiberglass end spars are orange.

Mine is gold too!  I wonder if it's the same kite?  That would be ironic.  I wonder what other colors they were offered in.

I've nicknamed mine "Doom Banana."  Heh.

-Mike
rknauss

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 05:12 PM »

Mike
Could very well be the same kite. Never saw one before or after.
I named mine Rib Buster and Holly Crap I Didn't Know I Could Fly That Far.
It hurt me to sell, but hurt more flying. Also did some non conventional farming with my face.
The tapered end spars I had were white, the rest were black. Try the FG if you can find the right dia. I doubt if they offered carbon rods to the public back then. I'm willing to be corrected if someone knows different, chime in folks.
Good luck Mike.

Rick
ae

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 11:14 PM »

The center spars on all flexis are solid carbon rods. 8mm on the pro-team 8, 8mm on the super 10, 12mm on the hyper 12. The taper tip rods are the same on all sizes from the stacker 6 up to the hyper 12.
Since i never had a hyper 16 i'm unsure about the rods in it.
But i seem to remember that the tapers are again the same and the center spar is a 14mm solid carbon. But i wouldn't swear on it.
Smeagol

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 01:15 AM »

These are definitely 11mm centers, I measured a bunch o' times. Wink The tapered ends on the Hyper 16 are the same as on the others, only the ferrule is pressed all the way on the big end and it goes inside the aluminum ferrule vs. outside like on the 6/8/10.

I also just realized a Rev SLE ferrule (7/16") fits perfectly into that aluminum ferrule from the Flexifoil, so I might just try replacing 2 of the carbon spars with SLE spars and see how it goes.  Test fit one earlier and it was snug as a bug.

I'm going to check with the local Plastics shop later today to see what they might have.

-Mike
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 01:19 AM by Smeagol » Logged
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 02:13 AM »

If you go with the SLE's be sure to glue an internal ferrel into them to keep them from crushing at the external ferrel. There is going to be some serious pressure there, extend the insert 2-3" or more past where the external ferrel will end. I would also use a slow set epoxy, superglue might break under the stress. But I have the feeling they won't hold up if you broke a solid carbon rod unless there was a pre-existing defect or crack in the original. I wonder if you might be able to get a solid or pultruded rod that would fit inside the SLE's

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
rncembal

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 10:34 AM »

You may try a full plug on the 12mm tube. I don't know what rod would fit inside but I know avia used to make 12mm tubes .
Rob

Remember before buying on Amazon use this link to help Steve!
http://tinyurl.com/kkid20
Smeagol

« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 11:29 AM »

Yes, the SLE's I have all have the internal ferrule Rev used, which sticks out about 2.5"

I'm with you though, I don't think they will hold up under the stress.  Maybe if I used a 4-wrap or 6-wrap SLE.

I just contacted Tap Plastics and they have something that might work, but I'll have to check it out in person.  It sounded to me like it didn't have much flex.  I'm thinking if I can find some solid fiberglass in that OD I'll be good.  Not having much luck finding 11mm though.

-Mike

If you go with the SLE's be sure to glue an internal ferrel into them to keep them from crushing at the external ferrel. There is going to be some serious pressure there, extend the insert 2-3" or more past where the external ferrel will end. I would also use a slow set epoxy, superglue might break under the stress. But I have the feeling they won't hold up if you broke a solid carbon rod unless there was a pre-existing defect or crack in the original. I wonder if you might be able to get a solid or pultruded rod that would fit inside the SLE's

rknauss

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 06:01 PM »

Zeke,
You're the man. Thanks for the update and some clarification.
Rick
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography