GWTW Forum
October 21, 2014, 07:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flexifoil Hyper 16 spars  (Read 5740 times)
Smeagol
Trade Count: (+82)

« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2012, 10:50 AM »

Thanks all for the info.  I did contact Paul @ Goodwinds and they don't have any ferrules for the 12.7mm rods they carry.  He suggested I try onlinemetals.com which is similar to what Mike linked.  I may try going that route.  Issue there is the 48" rod is $45, but 30" closeout rods are $9 so naturally I'd want to go with the cheaper solution but would need to use more ferrules.

The current aluminum ferrules are .6275 OD so I'm thinking there will be room in the leading edge sleeve to fit .750.  It has a good inch or so of room.  I don't think machining out the current ferrules to fit the larger rod will work as it will only leave ~1.6mm wall thickness material at the ferrule which is probably too weak.

I seem to recall Zeke's Hyper 16 has 12mm rods anyway, so perhaps mine was changed at some point in the past for whatever reason.

-Mike
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 11:56 AM by Smeagol » Logged
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #31 on: July 10, 2012, 12:25 PM »

Yeah I was dissappointed that I didn't find something with a bit of a thinner wall, I think the ones I posted would be a bit of overkill. Of course you could chuck it in a lathe and take off a bit of the OD if needed, that would be a nice time to turn some beveled edges at the cuts too while your at it.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Smeagol

« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2013, 11:21 AM »

Thread resurrection!  Cheesy

In talking with Mike recently this old topic came up so I've decided to continue the search for the ever elusive 11mm solid carbon rod.  I haven't really done much with the Hyper 16 since the thread was last updated.  One of these days I'll get her going!  At last search I could've swore I located some 11mm carbon (in the US), but of course now I can't find the link.

Hmm, I wonder if a piece of rebar would work for the center section? Wink

I may play around with the ferrules as recommended if I'm unable to find some 11mm.  Also just thought of another idea... might try it out this weekend assuming I have enough parts and there's enough wind.

thanks,
  Mike
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2013, 12:22 PM »

Wow, blast from the past!

That's a pretty big kite. I remember thinking "better him than me" when you were setting it up.  Cheesy

Allen, AKA kitehead
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2013, 12:30 PM »

Mike, you might just be better off trying some 1/2" FG rod.
Smeagol

« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2013, 03:12 PM »

Hah.. I hearya Allen.  Grin Actually, I doubt it will really pull much more than some of my other fixed bridle power kites.  I flew a Flexifoil Blade II 7.8m last time out @ Ripon and it pulled like a tank even in 2-3 mph.

Yeah I may try the FG route, but I'll have to find some ferrules to fit that OD, or modify the existing ones.

My idea is to try some of the other Flexifoil center section spars I have, but I'm not sure I have enough to make up the length of the Hyper 16 and they are of course smaller diameter rod.  Not sure they'll hold up.
Ca Ike

« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2013, 04:59 PM »

I wouldn't go smaller in diameter.  IIRC the hyper 16 first had the same spars as the 12 but they didn't hold up.  Your best options for tubes would be the .472 or .394 pultruded carbon or you can do the 9.5mm(.375) solid with some FG wrap on the ends to shim it to 11mm or even go the 12.75 mm solid and sand down the ends to 11mm.
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2013, 06:01 PM »

the 16 should fly in lower wind (IIRC)....and so if you can keep the wind down then a lighter rod set MIGHT work.....for a few minutes Wink

Zeke is the man for this......he has 16s.......maybe he will pop in....he has tried some things too....

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Ca Ike

« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2013, 07:39 PM »

Thats true thief but the 16 in 4-5 pulls like the 12 in 8-10.  It was only blowing about 6 when Mike broke that spar and I remember cause I was just thinking it was time to put away my vapor and was hoping it wasn't my rod that snapped Tongue  Going to the .5 inch rod might be the best thing to do and I know several people can get the ferrules for them.
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #39 on: December 07, 2013, 08:42 PM »

I would go for the 12mm, they are easy to get and not to expensive.
DPP in the Netherlands makes for under 20 euro a piece.
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2013, 01:22 AM »

Goodwinds still carries .500" (1/2 inch) solid carbon or fiberglass, 48" long in carbon or up to 72" in 'glass. Was the original carbon or 'glass? Pretty inexpensive to experiment with the fiberglass at $5-$8 depending on the length needed, the carbon is pretty expensive. Of course it would take a little fabrication to reduce the end diameter to 11mm to fit your existing ferrels but it would be do-able. A v-block or 1/2" ID tube clamped down to support the end your grinding down, a variable speed 1/2 drill, a Dremel and a mic to "shade tree" it if you don't have access to the dang high dollar lathe it would take to do it like a pro.

After all "It's a kite, not a rocket"   Wink  you're not going to try to fly ON it are you? At least intentionally    Cheesy

What I would do is is check the deflection of some 1/2" Fiberglass, if comparable I would machine the ends down to 11mm and epoxy or use fiberglass resin to glue the ferrels to it. Since you'll have a weak point at the lip where you ground it down and it will split eventually I'd then wrap 1 1/2" up the 'glass rod and an inch or so over the ferrel with a thin Spectra, Kevlar or Glass string and epoxy or resin the wrap just like you would when attaching the eyes of a fishing pole.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2013, 01:47 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
ae
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2013, 05:00 AM »

Original its solid carbon for the center spars.
Experimenting with glass is just a waste of money, they are to heavy and to flexible.
Michel
Trade Count: (+12)

« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2013, 10:44 AM »

Original its solid carbon for the center spars.
Experimenting with glass is just a waste of money, they are to heavy and to flexible.

+ 1 !  Smiley
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change