GWTW Forum
November 21, 2014, 11:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: So you think you can fly in high wind?  (Read 1217 times)
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« on: August 15, 2011, 06:47 PM »

M. Mayet flying in some Hellacious wind:

Mathieu Mayet High Wind Transfer Kite
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 07:17 PM »

That last rolling cascade/cynique (I'm not quite sure what to call that) sequence just blew my MIND. I know what one of next summers goals is now... wow. Thanks for sharing!

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
coogee
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 11:42 PM »

Awe inspiring!
 Mike
Not sure if this is grammatically correct, may have to consult the GP.
lasapcheong
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 11:43 PM »

Yeah I uploaded this video pretty earlier in an effort to try to figure out this trick and get more comments. Its kind of like a rolling cascade/insane input with an inverse rotation thrown in.

Chris Goff did a few of this during a trickout with Debray

Stella Cerfvolantmania - Richard Debray vs Chris Goff

-Darryl

"One day I'll learn to comete my quad and hover my dual-line for a minute anywhere in the window"
Kiting Below Horizons : http://www.youtube.com/user/cheongchunti
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 12:21 AM »

Thanks for the videos you have put up on the web.

Wink
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 03:33 AM »

I remembers the crap that andy preston  got for the super fast tricking in one of his videos. ....people said it was not cool. ..but with all of the were tricksi have no clue what the kite is doing in these vids!!!!!!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
John Welden

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 06:05 AM »

He's not human.  Huh
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 06:14 AM »

John Weldon says it best..... He's not Human  Huh Huh Huh Huh

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
RonG
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 09:08 AM »

Richard has always had the most robotically-consistent style, but there are unique style aspects to Mat's flying you can't help but love.  From the time I first saw him flying an Impact (yuck!) at Treasure Island...probably 10 years ago...I've always been struck by the sublime things he's been able to pull out of some truly user-unfriendly kites (Masque.....sheesh!).

I don't have the flying stamina or motivation for wind like that anymore.  Major props to Mat  Cool
JimB
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 10:33 AM »

The first time I saw him fly it was in pretty heavy wind also. You couldn't tell it to look at him or the kite: a Masque.

It was strange. I couldn't figure it out.

I've come to the conclusion that he is immensely strong. Look at his body stance. It's very open for that much wind. He must have a lot of core strength to be able to do that.

Still the Louis Armstrong of kiting.

obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 07:17 AM »

Shake Mat's hand to find out why he can do this.  He's a small guy, but he's solid.

Flying the XTS in strong winds is already a good workout.  I have been flying the XTS almost exclusively for a few years now.  I sold my vented because it when it flies well, it became way too much for me.  Even the standard flies well in winds where I no longer can enjoy it, but Mat would make it look effortless. 

All that said, the vented version is a beast which can fly in really extreme winds.  I'd be willing to bet he's the ONLY flyer that can tame that kite in winds as seen in that video.  That's sheer manhandling on display, no doubt.

Still my favorite flyer over all.  As Ron said, he is just a master whose skills show in both his command of notoriously user unfriendly sails but also in the subtle perfection his flying always exhibits.  IMHO, he can really put the ballet in kite flying like no one else.

He's clearly one of the all time greats.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum