GWTW Forum
July 01, 2016, 01:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: email the Forum Admin: admin@gwtwforum.com

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Anchoring SLKs. Stakes vs. Bags vs. ?  (Read 444 times)
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: June 28, 2016, 06:20 PM »

I've seen large kite stakes become weapons as SLKs have

pulled them loose. Also, on grass, what methods can be used

for bags meant to hold sand? (rocks, water, etc.)

Thanks from a not really a SLK kind of guy.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
DURASPANK
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 06:26 PM »

I use a dog tie. Screws in the ground over a foot if you need it to. It'll hold my 18' delta plus whatever else I hang on it. On the beach I tie it to mu cooler. When the cooler starts moving it's time to get of the beach or refill it. LoL
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 06:29 PM by DURASPANK » Logged
Controlled Crash

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 08:05 PM »

I use concrete forming stakes with my anchors. I have not tried the cross-stakes anchor method, but I know others use it.  For smaller kites, 80# line and lighter, I'll use dog stakes. It depends on the wind and the ground.  The trick to getting stakes out of the ground is to give them a few twists before you pull them up, or even twist while you pull. A nice big pair of vice grips should work well.

Also, on grass, what methods can be used
for bags meant to hold sand? (rocks, water, etc.)
I have not used a sand anchor. Would it be able to handle sharp edges on rocks? How many pounds of rocks will the bag hold?
I don't think I would use water, damage to one of the containers, might cause anchor failure. Could/would the water evaporate over the course of the day?
Would the weight be enough to keep the kite from dragging the bag?
Is it possible to dig a hole in the grass and fill the sand anchor with dirt?

There are also vehicles, trees, posts and benches that could be used as anchors. 

I try to make the kite line the weakest part of my anchoring system.
Dano
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 08:56 PM »

Big bags of rocks or large containers of water could be considered weapons too.   Grin
I stick with concrete stakes when a large screwdriver from harbour freight isn't enough.

Or a fence, or a tree, or a picnic table with a simple loop of rope with a knot on the end of it
and larkshead your flying line to that.

Options are many. Pick the one you like..

but stay out of the heat!
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+37)

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 10:19 PM »

Just make sure the anchor drops free if dragged out of the ground.

I have a pair of 13" spikes (like giant nails) for small kites and a pair of 20" construction stakes for the bigger kites. I use a large loop of webbing rather than one with the small loop as shown below.

« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 10:30 PM by Allen Carter » Logged

Allen, AKA kitehead
SparkieRob

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 11:03 PM »

I use a screw in dog stake (or two) for grass.
I have some sand bags for on the beach. Two sand bags are enough for my 6 foot rok in plenty of wind, I use 3 for my 15 foot delta as it pulls a little more.

I've been told that the cloth shopping bags are good to fill with sand but need a small piece of rope to be between the kite line and handles to prevent the line burning through.

Edit: my bags are made from banner denier by Kevin Sanders. Kind of a shorter fatter kite sleeve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inbetween Heaven and Earth, there are kites.
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+28)

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2016, 03:58 AM »

What are you flying John?

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
chilese
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 01:11 PM »

It's more for future reference.

Currently our largest is an 11 foot delta.

But we have a 7 foot Rok with tube tail that

probably pulls just as much.

John Chilese: Las Vegas, NV
http://picasaweb.google.com/chilesej
thief
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+28)

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 01:42 PM »

safest would be a bag of sand.....
no metal flying around that way to impale someone or something.
also if the bag/sand anchor falls over it will dump out and then with less drag the kite should not drift as far as it would with a fixed weight.

personally i use simple golf ball stakes on grass and sand bags at the beach now....and if there is any question i hold it......

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 02:32 PM »

I use the 10 and 13 inch plastic stakes from Home Depot. The y shaped shaft holds better than round stakes it seems. I also drive them in at about a 45 degree angle so the pull is  wanting to move the stake sideways rather than up
mikeb
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2016, 04:14 PM »

I've been using a screw into the ground dog stake for those size kites, but my land is clay, some areas you couldn't screw a dog stake into the hard ground and pounding a stake into the ground can be a workout, it probably depends more on the type of ground a few inches below the surface you are anchoring the kite into for what type of anchor you use. I've had some years where I drilled into the ground here and water would start flowing out, that's when 1 hit on a 3' stake would drive it 2 1/2' into the ground.
goestoeleven
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2016, 09:48 PM »

I mostly use dog stakes for smaller kites, and large tent stakes as anchors for the larger kites (i.e. 13 ft to 20 ft deltas).  I mostly fly on grass, with some beach flying.  If there's any doubt about the wind, I'll use two, with the second as a safety.  Kites come down if the first one starts to shift.  As someone above said, I try to make the flying line the weakest link in any anchoring.

Up at Jamestown, there was someone using Penetrator earth anchors from American Earth Anchors.  You need an impact wrench to screw them into the ground & get them out.  He said he's never had one pull loose, and they come in lengths up to 46 inches long.  One interesting note is their web site includes technical spec sheets that show the huge differences in pullout strength when they are fully drilled into the ground, depending on the type of soil.  Loose uncompacted sand has only a tiny fraction of the pullout strength of dense soil or hardpan.  After seeing that, I may be using bags for the beach instead of stakes. 
ezme6
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 02:37 AM »

i use 3/4" rebar, 2 feet long driven 1/2 way in at a 45 degree angle

"Do what you like"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support the GWTW Forum

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

FMKS
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at top)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom