GWTW Forum
October 24, 2014, 12:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hang-em High Fabrics  (Read 5331 times)
Michel
Trade Count: (+12)

« on: August 18, 2011, 12:35 PM »

Hi all,

I wanted to buy some fabrics from Hang-em High Fabrics (of course not available by GWTW !) but no answer to my e-mails sent to Bonnie Marvin.

Is Hang-em out of business ?

Thanks in advance.
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 03:47 PM »

I ordered some stuff recently from her, still in business as far as I know. How long has it been?
jeepersjoey
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 06:53 PM »

It is a weird business.

She has gotten the affectionate name of "grouchy lady" from the group around here.

They do not do internet orders...only call in.

They charge ACTUAL shipping...this sounds good but you will not know the full cost until she ships.

It usually takes 3 days to get the stuff.

Decent prices.  Figure out what you want, write it down and then call. 

I tried to order 6 rolls 125ft of 50# string, she did not have it avaiable so she sent (and charged me) for 1000 ft.  I was buying to sell the individual rolls to friends that wanted the rolls.  I ended up with 600+ ft of string that I did not really want.

Overall, not bad but you have to jump through hoops.

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 07:03 PM »

That's an entirely different experience than I've had with the store  Shocked

I have never had any issues with the internet ordering system on her site so long as it is within the stated business hours

I've placed a couple dozen orders and they've shipped the following day with no exceptions - I can't say that of any other small online store that I've placed a statistical relevant sample of orders through. Yes the shipping cost is charged later, but I see no problem with that - it's the only way to get true shipping costs.

Her site could be more user friendly, but I have no complaints about the service. Not sure what posts I've missed, but Bonnie is one of the nicest folks I've dealt with.

ymmv I guess...
Jeepster
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 07:49 PM »

Will S described my experiences with Bonnie very well.  Plan and simple, she's a pleasure to do business with.

Regards,
Tom
photomom
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 08:33 PM »

I tried to order from this business a few weeks ago.  The online ordering was not working.  It would not let me complete the order.  So I tried calling.  I called at least three times and never got an answer.  No answering machine, nothing.  Just ringing.  It was during the normal posted business hours.  I ended up ordering from somewhere else. 

kjm

RonG
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 03:25 AM »

No issues to speak of ordering from Bonnie.  If the site was down, email worked just fine.  Like Will said, not the most user-friendly web interface, but it's functional, and she will either respond to email or by phone if you don't see what you're looking for on the site.

Hang em High has been around a long time, Bonnie took over the business when her husband Tom died, probably about 10 years ago now.  She's not a slick, internet-savvy retailer, just a straight-shooter who has what most kite builders need and more than a few rare or vintage items as well.

For reference, the word I've gotten is that Bonnie has an interesting approach to "the store is closed" in the Internet age.  When she's not open for business....she turns off the server.  No "site temporarily unavailable", or automated processing of orders.  So if the site is not there, it doesn't mean Hang em High is out of business, it more likely means she's out of town for the weekend.

Not the 24/7 instant gratification model most people have gotten used to in the last decade, but I find it a bit refreshing.
sugarbaker
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 07:44 PM »

I too have had only good experience with Hang-Em-High... by internet and by phone.  Bonnie has always been very helpful.
Jynx
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 09:20 PM »

I too have had only good experience with Hang-Em-High... by internet and by phone.  Bonnie has always been very helpful.

Ditto!

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky."
Jimi Hendrix
KaoS
Trade Count: (+18)

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 01:53 AM »

Bonnie has always provided really great service for me.  Shopping from Australia has never been a problem  Smiley

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
fidelio
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 02:54 AM »

the website is the only way i've ordered, never spoken to bonnie on the phone, but have only had positive experiences. however, i have not placed an order recently but probably should, who doesn't need white icky?

Fdeli
Doug S

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 10:49 AM »

I concur with Ron and Will about my experience with Hang-em High Fabrics.  I have been purchasing materials from Hang-em High since the 1990s and have been very statisfied.  Bonnie is the first to tell you that she is not a kite flyer, but she has always been very helpful and timely with my orders.  When I first encountered the on-line store being closed for a weekend, I was confused and concerned.  A call to Bonnie during the work week clarified how she prefers to run her business, which is fine and refreshing to me.   Grin

"We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public."
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 07:48 AM »

It is a weird business.

She has gotten the affectionate name of "grouchy lady" from the group around here.

They do not do internet orders...only call in.

Overall, not bad but you have to jump through hoops.

Interesting, last time we dealt with Hang'Em High we tried the internet order thing half a dozen times over a few days but it wouldn't work. So Rhonda called and recieved quite the tongue lashing for calling, she was told they ONLY do internet orders, even though their servers can't complete an order.

They were once my prefered supplier & I've wanted to order some things from them lately, but I've been reluctant to try.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2011, 03:26 PM »

I've only been doing business with Bonnie for a few years but have always been happy with the service I got. I too was told to order online as she really doesn't have the time to deal with the phone and fill the orders in a timely manner.
Like was said before, if the server isn't up, the store isn't open. Try back another time, you'll be happy you did.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2011, 07:25 PM »

Our problem was that the servers were up and running, we could do the order right up to the last step then we got some message rather then a confirmation. After all those tries we were not certain if we were going to receive 6 duplicate orders or no order. On the phone they still wouldn't take or confirm our order and said they would fix the ordering server and to place it again online later tomorrow.

We did finally receive our order and with quick service & shipping from the time the 7th attempt finally worked. Luckily it wasn't something we needed in a timely manner, just stuff to have on hand for future projects which wasn't availble anywhere else. I still give out their name to anybody asking where to purchase fabrics and materials for kite making, it's just disappointing that you have to "jump through hoops" and get treated poorly attempting to support her business.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change