GWTW Forum
October 23, 2014, 06:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Pair of Widow Maker's ask my wife....  (Read 1565 times)
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: August 21, 2011, 06:55 AM »

Got my new Widow Maker to match my Ul.  ( Bobby's mistake Ul) Wink
Thought I'd shoot a few photo's.  Maybe enter inthe Photo Contest ...

However, been working the new stuff and would greatly appreciate some insight.  Why can't I hold fade for long time Huh  Same,same Turtle.  Help  :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(

Remember : " ...There is No Business like Show Business..." .  Now on with the Show >>>>>

Pair of Widow Maker's
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 08:12 AM by vertigo2u » Logged

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
vertigo2u

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2011, 07:42 PM »

41 secs.  fake multi's  No One spotted them  Phonies.copy paste. I need to see them at that point.  Today did four inarow, pulling out to right instead of straight down or across( I dare say it ) my body right to left...

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 12:40 AM »

Holding a Fade or Turtle requires first not getting into them too deep, many kites will rock back out if they go too deep. Secondly it's line management, you have to get the kite under some tension once in position or it will probably rock back out, you need pressure on the sail to hold them.

Talking about too deep of an entry and too much slack ... I got my first roll-up on an Exile going into a Turtle with too much input, too much slack and a wind shift and darn if I knew how to unroll it. I remember flying around on the leading edges for a while wondering what to do and nothing I did nose up working. Pretty sure it ended up in an unplanned landing and unrolling on the ground. I know I asked Steve how to unroll later since I remember his answer was "Flare to Fade but keep pulling and it'll unroll". I also remember installing the yo-yo stops right after since I think the "landing" happened after the lines slid down the leading edges to far for control.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Bob D
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 04:25 AM »

I like your color scheme! The WM does great rotational tricks! Such a great kite!

Bob D.
st3307
Trade Count: (+30)

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 05:22 PM »

Grin

Good air always Bobby
Danno419
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 12:55 PM »

Line management was key for me while learning to hold a fade.
If your fade is headed nose up - tension the lines - don't pull, just tension. (i feel for lines to tighten - then hold my hands where they are and walk backward slowly until the fade starts to rise)
If your fade is looking like it may end up nose diving - give it a little slack.
Maybe "give a little slack" is the wrong term there - " less tension" may be better.
My problem when learning was going nose up a lot - i starting finding a great fade balance after a while, when i came to expect being nose up and getting that tension timing just right.
Keep at it... you'll get it.
 Grin Grin

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Hmmmm Talon vent or SUL next... decisions decisions.
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 01:25 PM »

Steady winds are also the key to holding a good fade.  If the winds are sporadic then it will make holding the fade extremely difficult or nearly impossible.

I fully agree with Danno's comments.  It is all about the feel and you have to have a very delicate and direct feel of what the kite is doing to keep it in the fade.  Very smooth movements and vary the tension on the lines depending on what the kite is feeling like it is going to do.  Also, if one side is dropping, you can tension that side and it will come back and settle again.  If your lines are not perfectly even it will also make it more difficult to hold the fade as the longer line will always try to rotate the kite out of the fade position.

I almost always have to walk backwards to hold a fade position, in stronger winds I can stay more stationary and in heavy winds you have to walk forward....no matter what though, if you are not moving your feet you will NOT be able to hold a fade for any length of time*.

*except for that once in a lifetime rare moment when the winds are exceptionally consistent and happen to be perfect for the kite.

Dano
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 04:44 PM »

Steady winds are also the key to holding a good fade.  If the winds are sporadic then it will make holding the fade extremely difficult or nearly impossible.

*except for that once in a lifetime rare moment when the winds are exceptionally consistent and happen to be perfect for the kite.

Exactly!
Here's a picture of a fade i staked to take the photo in Florence, OR.
Pretty easily repeatable when i'm there.
I can't for the life of me get a decent fade here at home in Reno, NV
or when visiting my friends down in LV.   Sad

[attachment deleted by admin to converve server storage space]
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 05:35 PM »

I think you are cheating - the FOG is holding that one up!  Smiley

6 kite tom
Dano
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 11:11 PM »

I think you are cheating - the FOG is holding that one up!  Smiley

Cheesy  Could have been.  Wink
Danno419

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 07:36 AM »

Another thing that helped me as well, Vert - (If your straps have a finger loop) i started putting my ring fingers into the loop, which allows me to extend my index finger to just before the larks head attaching my lines to my straps.
The result is an ultra sensitive feel on the lines, which helps me to micro adjust much better.
I guess it would be similar to a fishing pole - you can really feel any change of tension with your fingertip and adjust accordingly.

My prediction --> Vert gets footage of a fade held for 30 seconds or more by next week.   Cool Cool Cool

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Danno419

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 10:47 AM »

Another thing that helped me as well, Vert - (If your straps have a finger loop) i started putting my ring fingers into the loop, which allows me to extend my index finger to just before the larks head attaching my lines to my straps.
The result is an ultra sensitive feel on the lines, which helps me to micro adjust much better.
I guess it would be similar to a fishing pole - you can really feel any change of tension with your fingertip and adjust accordingly.

My prediction --> Vert gets footage of a fade held for 30 seconds or more by next week.   Cool Cool Cool

Joe........You should take advantage of all of these small details, which are very important, especially for a beginner. Here is another example of a very good recommendation from Gamelord (Kent).
http://www.gwtwforum.com/index.php?topic=5520.msg49754#msg49754

Here is a picture of the California Custom Flight Straps, which will enable you to do what Danno419 suggested. Don't forget to attach your flight lines.  Cheesy

That's exactly what i was attempting to describe!.. Thanks Norm.  Grin

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
vertigo2u

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 01:15 PM »

Just wanted you guys to know..I did read and took the advise.  trying to get the feel..... I can't figure how my hands crissed crossed on my video.  I have been getting it... Thanks for support... Kiss

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change