GWTW Forum
August 23, 2014, 01:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Our Weather Forecast Tomorrow  (Read 908 times)
ndcmpc
Trade Count: (+21)

« on: August 26, 2011, 11:18 AM »

Anyone have an all-mesh kite?  Cool

SAT 27 Aug AM:
Heavy Rain / Wind
High 80F     Precip 100%
Wind: From E at 48 mph
Humidity: 85%
UV Index:  4 Moderate

PM: Heavy Rain / Wind
Overnight Low 72F
Precip 100%
Wind: From NNW at 76 mph
Humidity: 89%

Doug
Blue Moon Geek
61/49: The most fun you can have with only one line
RonG
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 11:25 AM »

Anyone have an all-mesh kite?  Cool

I'd ask you to send it to me when you're done with it, but I'm not sure what forwarding address to give you since the governor ordered us off our island....  Sad
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 12:12 PM »

a Guildworks Deca a1 is good to 35 (done it) and that might be close..

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
Doc Z
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 12:28 PM »

When I was a freshman in college back in 1999, Hurricane Floyd came near us (Eastern CT) with some crazy winds.  Once it stopped raining, I brought my roommate Billy and a 12-foot Double DC down to the soccer fields for some high wind action.  Must have been 25-30mph.  We probably put out like 300 feet of line and then I sent him back to the winder while I held onto the kite.  We each gave a thumbs up and I let it go.  It totally sounded like it was going to rip apart as I watched it quickly ascend and arc towards Billy.

Then I saw it stop arcing and it start to drift backwards...

I looked back at Billy and he was chasing the friggin' winder across the field with his arms up in the air like a goddamn muppet.  Apparently, he didn't anticipate the pull (he wasn't a kiter).

The kite wound up pushed up against the tops of some trees at the edge of the field and I pulled the line until it took off again (thankfully!).  It tore back and forth across the sky for a bit and then did a nose-dive straight into the ground (no tails, no drogues - nada).  One of the dowels poked through the nose, but no other damage other than that.  Taped it up and it was good to go.  Still have that kite.  Good times.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2011, 03:34 PM by Doc Z » Logged
the*real*stoney
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2011, 05:52 PM »

The hurricane might be wet and blustery but the winds in front of it have been pretty nice.

I have had two good days - which were welcome since winds in the Richmond area this summer have been practically non-existent.

Stoney
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 06:59 PM »

I am so bummed... here's the forcast for my weekly Sunday fly. Wouldn't be so bad, but I haven't been flying in weeks to boot. Withdrawls...   Cry

Sunday: Tropical storm conditions expected, with hurricane conditions possible. Rain, mainly before 5pm. The rain could be heavy at times. High near 76. West wind 50 to 70 mph becoming west 55 to 65 mph. Winds could gust as high as 85 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between 3 and 4 inches possible.

Doc Z
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2011, 07:17 PM »

Long Island is supposed to get rocked.  Have fun with that. I'd take the Shockwave for a spin. Undecided
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 07:50 PM »

It's not really the wind this time, but the storm surge with the lunar high tide should make things pretty wet for sure. I think I might go out for a fly if I get a chance tomorrow... I'm thinking something vented.  Grin

JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 09:02 PM »

Be safe people.
TGunn
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2011, 01:25 PM »

Stay safe y'all! My TKO Sport Kite Team mate Chris Shultz, his wife, and mom have been getting heavy rain and wind all night. They live in Kill Devil Hills, North Carolina.

Troy Gunn

Founding member of TKO Sport Kite Team - USA

http://tko.sportkite.team.tripod.com/Troybio.htm
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document