GWTW Forum
April 16, 2014, 05:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Al Hargus' "The History of Sport Kite Competitions"  (Read 5565 times)
kevin
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+3)

« on: March 09, 2009, 11:10 AM »

Many people indicated that this thread is one of the things that should be preserved from the old forum.

It's not edited for *any* content, including the posts that don't contribute to the subject.  The broken images in the .pdf are broken in the thread.

Download, save, and enjoy!  Smiley

Ok, thanks to mikenchico, there is an older copy that has few, if any (I didn't go through every bit) of the broken image links.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 11:47 AM by kevin » Logged
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2009, 11:30 AM »

Kevin: I saved that years ago when more of the pictures were still online, most were in the Kitelife archives which had their URL's changed. I'm ziping it up as I type and will email it your way. That was a great thread and I'd like to see as many of the pictures survive for those interested. I'm not on the right computer to get it into a pdf, looks like you've got that ability and probably a better setup then me to do it.

Well color me dumb, I did the convertion, send that your way too if you'd like to host it still.

« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 11:35 AM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2009, 12:47 PM »

Excellent!

Except the PDF doesn't work. It gives an error:

There was an error processing the page. A number is out of range.

This is both in the browser and in the reader app. Reader v.9

Allen, AKA kitehead
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2009, 01:24 PM »

hmm.. worked on mine. Imported the web page I saved and found all the pictures for into Word 2007 and saved as a pdf with the Word plugin. I have Adobe 8 though. Maybe Kevin can help but I'll forward the html page to you Allen, you'll probably have to enable IE to view local webpages since that is disabled by default.

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
kevin
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2009, 01:53 PM »

Allen---it works here, too, and I don't use Acrobat Reader to look at .pdf files.

Did you try saving it locally and opening it?
Allen Carter
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2009, 05:43 PM »

I can't get a screen snap to upload...

RTFM?

Anyway. Yes, I've downloaded it to both Mac Reader 8.1.3 and XP Reader 9. Same error. Works good on the Mac's built in PDF reader.

Allen, AKA kitehead
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2009, 06:09 AM »

Do we want an edited version (just the facts, ma'am) of this ?

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
kevin
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2009, 07:29 AM »

Do we want an edited version (just the facts, ma'am) of this ?

Mike.

I'm working on one if there is any interest.  Which I guess there is.

Unless you've already done it, I should have it up today.
TGunn
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 04:48 PM »

Great guys, thanks for keeping this old GWTW forum post/thread alive! Al would be proud of y'all !

Edited for spelling errors

Troy Gunn

Founding member of TKO Sport Kite Team - USA

http://tko.sportkite.team.tripod.com/Troybio.htm
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2009, 07:55 PM »

When Steve asked if there was any content on the old forum he should take the time to manually copy that was the first thing into my head, although I had copied it years ago. Glad Kevin could host it since I've been having trouble ftp'ing to my website lately unless I use my dial-up connection.

CTaylor
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2009, 04:44 AM »

I get an error in adobe reader 9.0 for this file.  It said "An error exists on this page.  Acrobat may not display this page correctly. etc etc"  Then I do not see anything on the rest of the pages.

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2009, 01:52 PM »

Sent the guys who are having trouble with this a copy as a Word2007.doc, anybody else interested and having this problem speak up & I'll forward it at you. Last alternative is a copy of the original "printer friendly" version of the thread to view in your browser. My copies are complete so you gotta take the jabber with the info.

Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2011, 02:29 PM »

Just stumbled across this thread. I'd be interested in a pdf or Word copy of this, so if anyone has the file and is willing to e-mail it ....

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2011, 09:12 PM »

Just need your email, it's still available as a .pdf (hate 'em) and the pdf still doesn't crash for me but others had problems, MHTML file (single file web page) or a Word 97-2003.doc or Word2007.docx file

well in fact I still have the Word 97 doc up on my ftp site - open or right click and save as

http://www.sysmatrix.net/~mikenchico/GWTW_Forum_History_Sport_Kite_Comp.doc

Another good read is Ron Reich's memiors published at kitelife.com starting in the May/June 1999 issue - or I have them copied off too ... plus a few hundred meg (gig?) of other misc history I've run across.

« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 09:40 PM by mikenchico » Logged

Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 11:42 PM »

Got it; thanks a lot, Mike!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography