GWTW Forum
July 31, 2014, 06:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the wind speed for a vented kite.  (Read 4038 times)
Wayner
Trade Count: (+15)

« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2011, 01:25 PM »

Flying a kite in 5 MPH winds is absolutely no fun for me. Frustrating at best. Kudos to those that can and will put up with the frustrations of flying in light winds. 

As and old school flyer I am with you, I love the pull and feel of those kites. however,
modern stunt kites fly in lower wind and this has forced my to learn new skills  Cry and buy new kites  Grin.
John, Kent and others at the group fly in Las Vegas have been key to showing me how to changing my style for lighter winds.

So, and old dog can learn new tricks. Still, when the wind is up; it a joy to pull out the old school favorites and spend the day with old freinds.  Smiley
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2011, 01:41 PM »

Well most of Magpiesfootys kites would be challenging at best in 5 mph, don't I remember a minimum wind speed of 6 or 7 mph for comp's back in the days we flew Hawaiians?

I like some presence on the lines from my kites too, flippy-floppy or just flying figures. I personally find a light pulling kite to be a bit disconcerting for me. I know others like that but give me a Blue Moon presence on the lines at least, my Widowmakers feels like a big heavy kites even though they aren't, I like that for some reason. Maybe it's because I started flying back in the '80s when kites drug you all over the field. Trying to trick 8 mph or so is tops for me, above that and I'm not learning anything new I'll just be doing the few the things I can do in those winds. That or reaching for one of my Old School kites to get drug around and enjoy the noise while I terrorize small dogs and neighborhoods within a mile radius.

Anyway back on topic, what might be the wind range on my newest acquisition (won at the WKA lasagna feed, WSIKF), a Dick Barnes Pizzaz Extreme (or mega?) Vent. Framed in 7PT's. It's a "Mid" school kite for Dino's like me, has stand-offs and a trick line and everything, that's all "Newfangled" stuff for us "Experienced" flyers.  Wink   Cheesy

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Magpiesfooty
« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2011, 03:54 PM »

Thanks guys for the feedback. This is fun.  Mikenchico, Amen Brother. The topic is VENTED kites and the winds you would fly them in.  You own a vented kite so that it will fly in a higher wind range. I don't think that I will see too many vented kites up in 5 MPH winds but I guess that there are a few. I personally have three vented kites and I would fly them in 15 to 25 easily.  I guess that some miss the point about being a part of the experience instead of trying to be in total control.  Nothing like a Deathspin three feet above the ground of a fast flying kite, say.... a Bob Childs Wizard in 30 plus winds and pulling it out just in time to save the kite from becoming a yard dart.  I have found nothing in kite flying more intense than that. But I guess that if you enjoy watching water boil or paint drying than other things might interest you.  The total idea is to just have fun.

Zippy, your words don't surprise me.  As far as the WWE I would not know about those things.....LOL!  Thanks for sharing though.  How far back do your flying days go?

Enjoy!

Magpiesfooty

Magpiesfooty
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2011, 07:06 PM »

Wayner, I think that Bob Child's Whangdoodle is similar, with the inflatable leading edges but I am not sure as I have only seen pics of that kite and have never flown one. It is a full size kite. 

I have a Speed Limit, a kite with a variable venting system that is ingeniously controlled by a separate spar connected to the spine with bungee cord tied to both vents.  When the wind gusts, the vents open and the kite stays flying at the same or similar speeds until the gust ends then the vents close and it continues to fly without the Herky Jerky (ness) of the gusting winds. It is built like a tank. Like a vented kite should be.

I hope that this helps.

Magpiesfooty.
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2011, 08:31 PM »

Zippy, your words don't surprise me.....  How far back do your flying days go?
I started flying in 1990. My first "big wing" was a Fire Dart. I predate tumble and flip.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2011, 08:37 PM »

I just got back from flying my FL Vented Light in 12-21 for 1.5 hours and had a ball!  Smiley

3rd knot on the bridle, flying with 2 fingers in the straps, and doing all the tricks that I know the entire time.

6 kite tom
Magpiesfooty
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2011, 03:58 AM »

Zippy, Thanks for the info.  Firedart is a nice kite. My friend that got me started on two liners had one.  Did you ever get a chance to fly a  "Lite Flite?" Probably the first kite it be able to do back flips.  Not well.... but....

Enjoy,

Magpiesfooty
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2011, 05:00 AM »

The Lite Flite Radial is one of his favourite kites   Wink

thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2011, 08:04 AM »

Wayner, I think that Bob Child's Whangdoodle is similar, with the inflatable leading edges but I am not sure as I have only seen pics of that kite and have never flown one. It is a full size kite. 
@Wayner: ask Chilese about this Whangdoodle...he has one...it is a big wing ktie that is a sweet flyer!!!

I have a Speed Limit, a kite with a variable venting system that is ingeniously controlled by a separate spar connected to the spine with bungee cord tied to both vents.  When the wind gusts, the vents open and the kite stays flying at the same or similar speeds until the gust ends then the vents close and it continues to fly without the Herky Jerky (ness) of the gusting winds. It is built like a tank. Like a vented kite should be.
I hope that this helps.
Magpiesfooty.
You liking that Speed Limit??? try tricking it yet?   it is amazingly trickable..........and bombproof!

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2011, 08:25 AM »

Did you ever get a chance to fly a  "Lite Flite?" Probably the first kite it be able to do back flips.  Not well.... but....

I did, although I would have thought it much more noteworthy as the kite that brought light wind performance (and carbon fibre spars) to the masses, at least in the UK.

Quote from: The Recently Deceased Ian Newham
The Lite Flite Radial is one of his favourite kites

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
jaydub

« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2011, 08:32 AM »

Quote from:  The Recently Deceased Ian Newham
I had no idea that Ian had been that unwell.   Roll Eyes
thief
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+25)

« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2011, 08:57 AM »

Quote from:  The Recently Deceased Ian Newham
I had no idea that Ian had been that unwell.   Roll Eyes
sounds like a very sudden illness struck him

Kites kayaks & corgis again!!!
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2011, 10:09 AM »

Tongue

Magpiesfooty
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2011, 08:40 AM »

Theif,  You know that I am extremely happy with every kite I have received from you!!  You are da man!!  Seriously, I have flown it for only few minutes. We have been so unbearably hot here in Texas this summer.  This one will go down in the record books. 40 days straight of over 100 degrees.  Today will be 68th of total days this summer that we have been over 100.  If you average the highs and lows temps from June 1 to August 31 (day time and night time...) you get a temp of 90.5 for that time.  The hottest previously has been 89.2 in the horrible heat wave of 1980.  We went 17 straight days where the temperature never dropped below 80 degrees.  We had nightime lows in the upper 80's on some nights and on top of that, NO RAIN!!! maybe a half-inch since the end of May.  Simply Brutal!!!    Tongue
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document