GWTW Forum
April 19, 2014, 10:19 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A quick 'look what I got' video..  (Read 2190 times)
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 05:27 PM »

THe talon Std I have flown a few times had no feed back.  In 12 -17 mph it literally felt like there was nothing on the end of the lines.  I've towed around feathers on strings as line laundry that had more pull than the talon I flew.  To put it another way there was no resistance when a trick input was given so no positive feed back to judge needed input strength by.  YOu could go light as a feather or old school yank n spank and still get the same "pull it out of the sky" result like the kite had no drive at all.
KaoS
Trade Count: (+16)

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 04:39 AM »

THe talon Std I have flown a few times had no feed back.  In 12 -17 mph it literally felt like there was nothing on the end of the lines.  I've towed around feathers on strings as line laundry that had more pull than the talon I flew.  To put it another way there was no resistance when a trick input was given so no positive feed back to judge needed input strength by.  YOu could go light as a feather or old school yank n spank and still get the same "pull it out of the sky" result like the kite had no drive at all.

I suspect there is something wrong with the setup of the one you flew.  12 to 17 mph raises dust and litter from the ground, and at the beach there are whitecaps on the water.  The Talon I've flown pulls fairly well in that sort of wind.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 10:48 PM by KaoS » Logged

Kevin Sanders

Willunga, South Australia
WinterDaze
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2011, 05:12 AM »

+1 Kevin

Talon remains tricky out to 14 for me for very short bursts,
you cover alot of ground in a short time at that speed, it's more
 about the 'speed' of the input, sure there's a little bit more pepper on it, but not much more, remember it's still about relative wind speed. higher speed is no 'stronger' per say, just faster.

WD

WinterDaze AoF
Shane

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2011, 05:22 AM »

Great flying!! I only have the Talon UL... But I love it!  Grin Your flying is inspirational and makes me want to get out there and learn more. ... However, After flying the "loaned" Widow Maker" for the past 3 months while my UL was being fixed I need to get used to it again... They are very different kites. I also must agree to some point with Dihongshao2000 to a point... I have had my kite back for 3 weeks and have already broken 2 3pt's and let a kid fly it and now the p90 and nose are going to need to be fixed...  Sad Sad Cry... Cheesy oh well. I still love it and it's all for the fun!

"Once you have flown, you will walk with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you long to return." Leonardo Da Vinci
Jest_of_Eve
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2011, 10:15 AM »

THe talon Std I have flown a few times had no feed back.  In 12 -17 mph it literally felt like there was nothing on the end of the lines.

Find out what caused this, bottle it, and send me some please!  Cheesy

http://www.jestofevekites.com
http://www.justin.tv/jest_of_eve

The Talon colourizer will increase your sex-drive and save the world from climate change and pixies!
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2011, 03:31 PM »

THe talon Std I have flown a few times had no feed back.  In 12 -17 mph it literally felt like there was nothing on the end of the lines.  I've towed around feathers on strings as line laundry that had more pull than the talon I flew. 

I flew mine for over a year and never had that experience.

Nice video Shannon.  Wink

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2011, 04:46 PM »

THe talon Std I have flown a few times had no feed back.  In 12 -17 mph it literally felt like there was nothing on the end of the lines.

Find out what caused this, bottle it, and send me some please!  Cheesy
IF I get my hands on this particular talon again I'm definitely going to check things over and see if I can figure out whats causing it.  THe lack of pull is only equaled by the lack of drive in the kite.  Kind of like trying to fly it a couple mph below the botom of the wind range.
jaydub
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2011, 02:43 AM »

Further confirmation that this is very unlike normal Talon behaviour.  If you get much above 12mph, the kite is so powered up in the centre of the window that the wing tips will will start to shudder to release pressure from the sail and you won't want to be tricking other than right at the edge of the window.

The Talon lacks neither power nor feedback in that wind strength.    Huh
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2011, 03:22 PM »

When I was viewing the kite near the ground after a trick sequence I see the kite drop QUICKLY to a two point landing a couple of times. Is this kite heavy. Normally, after an identical trick sequence like yours my kite HOVERS off the ground. Do you have a lot of tail weight on your kite???

Nice flying!

In my bag: Benson - Inner Space, Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless Light Mid-Vent, Transformer TL's Full Suite: (SUL, Light, Standard & Vent).
WinterDaze

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2011, 04:57 PM »

When I was viewing the kite near the ground after a trick sequence I see the kite drop QUICKLY to a two point landing a couple of times. Is this kite heavy. Normally, after an identical trick sequence like yours my kite HOVERS off the ground. Do you have a lot of tail weight on your kite???

Nice flying!

Hi John,

You might need to be more specific as to what part of the video you're referring to where it drops, but to answer the second question, this Talon UL is in it's 'fresh from Mark' stock configuration, just added a little sand evenly to the whole sail during this session  Grin

Oh and John what kite are you comparing it to?

Regards,

WD

WinterDaze AoF
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2011, 07:30 PM »

Two examples at 0:57 & 1:33. Its probably just your style, intentional or something else??? - the kite seems to drop abnormally quick to a two point landing. No big deal of course - its seems UNEXPECTED to me and was just curious.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 07:33 PM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

In my bag: Benson - Inner Space, Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless Light Mid-Vent, Transformer TL's Full Suite: (SUL, Light, Standard & Vent).
WinterDaze

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2011, 08:45 PM »

APJ,

Umm....  for want of a better word lets call it 'style' as in 'I meant it'  Wink

I tend to like to touch down fairly often, partly from a VF habit, and partly to help casual viewers understand that this is an exhibition of kite control, rather than the opposite  Cheesy

I have many many ways of getting to the hard deck, this is one from the catalogue of controlled landings, the other catalogue has far more options in it   Lips sealed  Wink

WD

« Last Edit: September 04, 2011, 05:26 AM by WinterDaze » Logged

WinterDaze AoF
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography