GWTW Forum
August 29, 2014, 05:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Thoughts on a new kite  (Read 1944 times)
Shane
Trade Count: (+1)

« on: September 02, 2011, 05:56 AM »

Hello all,

So I am going to be in the market for a new kite here in the next month or so and wanted some input on what you all think. I currently have the Talon UL, and I love it. For my next kite I am trying to decide on one either; Talon Std, R-Sky Toxic Std, or the Benson Deep Space Std... Any ideas or thoughts or recomendations? I would love to hear from people that have actually flownt any or all of these kites. I have only flown the Widow Maker and the Talon UL.

Thanks for all your  help in advance.

Shane
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 06:47 AM by Shane » Logged

"Once you have flown, you will walk with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you long to return." Leonardo Da Vinci
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 07:47 AM »

I'm sure many people will recommend that you stay with a similar kite and it's a good suggestion. Having kites that fly with similar characteristics helps when the wind changes and you need to change kites, you'll have little or no adjustment to make in flying styles and input timing. If that sounds logical to you then a Talon Standard would be your next logical choice.

I like a bit of variety too though, I've struggled with some tricks and sometimes when picking up a different kite the trick will magically just appear, once figured out I can usually transfer that knowledge to my other kites. That's where getting to fly OPK's (Other Peoples Kites) comes in handy, a few hints and a kite that gives that trick away easier can do wonders.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Flying Fish
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 08:07 AM »

I'm also in the 'like variety' camp. I've got a Talon UL and a standard Deep Space, and both are phenomenal kites. Yes, different to fly, but that's what I like. You just can't go wrong with a DS in your kite bag.

jaydub

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 08:26 AM »

I have both the Talon std and the DS UL & Std.  I tend to fly the DSs up to 8mph and the Talon in the 8-12mph range.

They are essentially variations on a very similar theme.  The Talon needs less input in the pitch axis, but more in the rotation axis than the DS.  But you won't find either difficult to adjust to after the Talon UL.

Some tricks are easier on the DS and there's just as many others that are easier on the Talon, so you're not going to go far wrong with either.

Nether the DS nor the Talon will sit as deep in the turtle as 'French' style kites like the Toxic, so the timing of any turtle based tricks is more critical.

Build quality is impeccable on the Talon and DS and the price is more competitive than on the Toxic.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+21)

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 11:39 AM »

If you are shopping around - I've got a couple that you should try! Probably more along the lines of the Toxic than the DS or Talon.

Are you flying this weekend?

-Tom

6 kite tom
Shane

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2011, 11:42 AM »

If you are shopping around - I've got a couple that you should try! Probably more along the lines of the Toxic than the DS or Talon.

Are you flying this weekend?

-Tom

I will be flying this weekend for sure. I would love to try out some kites. It seems whenever I fly I am the only one around other than the few times i've run into you. I think that Scott is in town for the weekend as well. Maybe if he's around I can fly his Std talon.  Grin Either way I'd love to meet up and fly some new kites ot get an idea. When and where are you planning on being this weekend?
Shane

"Once you have flown, you will walk with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you long to return." Leonardo Da Vinci
tpatter

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2011, 11:52 AM »

I will be there today (Fri) from probably 5-7, tomorrow (Sat) evening (around 6) until dark.  Sunday I am not sure, likely noon to 3 or so.   I'll send you my cell #.

Summer is ending - gotta fly as much as possible!  Smiley

-Tom

6 kite tom
Shane

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2011, 11:55 AM »

Awesome! Thanks Tom. I will give ya a call or a text when I'm headed out there.

jaydub

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 12:33 PM »

If you are shopping around - I've got a couple that you should try!
Shane, Be careful you might be 'Transformer'ed into a 'Fearless' flyer.  Now where did I leave my coat.  Roll Eyes Embarrassed
tpatter

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 02:08 PM »

If you are shopping around - I've got a couple that you should try!
Shane, Be careful you might be 'Transformer'ed into a 'Fearless' flyer.  Now where did I leave my coat.  Roll Eyes Embarrassed

Smiley

A Devil Transformers pilots into Fearless flyers in a Heartbeat all under his MasterControl.  (I am sure I have missed some).

6 kite tom
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 03:02 PM »

If I were you I would get a Talon SUL or Talon Std to fly the full wind range with the SAME kite. This is a key concept to advance as a flyer in my opinion. Don't mix your bag - too much - or at least have the full wind range on your go to kite.

APJ

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
ko
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 03:29 PM »

not necessarily a big Talon fan . but i agree with john on this  my first good kites were a set of QP's and now a set of (fearless) i have had a few others but not sets. I think it is easier at least for me to fly kites with similar inputs although the tat is a bit different than the others that's my 6 cents
regards Kurt

have fun kurt
jaydub

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 03:50 PM »

If I were you I would get a Talon SUL or Talon Std......
Better make that a Talon Std and a Talon Vent.  Mark doesn't make a SUL.
DWayne
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2011, 11:53 PM »

I'd say get a standard Talon.

Denny

I always wanted to be a procrastinator..........
I just never got around to it.
bryan beasley

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2011, 10:52 AM »

Mark doesn't make a SUL.

Ah, now there's a thing about that... keep a look out. ;-)

Bryan
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document