GWTW Forum
July 29, 2014, 10:15 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 540+360=900???? No way Vertigo..  (Read 876 times)
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+4)

« on: September 03, 2011, 05:41 AM »

I did the math and a 540+a360+900............... maybe I am wrong.  I've done them before just no camera....Haven't had decent wind for almost a week. It's either too high or way too low to work on fade's...  Been trying though... Getting better.  But the low wind is tough on me.  Had to drive to my friends farm yesterday in upper Michigan... nice tomatoes and beans,corn,squash... Wind was a nightmare all day yesterday at night it died out.  Had to walk with mama at the beach.  Really sucked no kite and a sunset to die for.  Found a new area at the Beach... not as nice landing area but beautiful background stuff.  Maybe tonight.  Going to baseball game tomorrow night. Detroit vs. Chicago... seats behind the dug-out.  Why don't they fly kites at a game Huh In between innings pitchers could fly... Embarrassed   Enjoy..Vertigo Out !!!

540+360=900.wmv

(another production by little creep-o video's)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 05:44 AM by vertigo2u » Logged

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
inewham
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 07:52 AM »

Cool  Cool

You still look a little tense on the first rotation. If you relax, concentrate on getting them really flat and only pop just as much as you need to multiple rotations get a lot easier. Rather than relying on inertia you can keep gently popping to keep the rotations going.

On Dean Jordan's kites I used to be able to get 3 or 4 rotations in light winds Cool but I've seen better fliers than me do a full corkscrew right down the window.

Bill Rogers
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 08:20 AM »

See if you can find a Sky Burner Wahoo with the original bridle.

Agreed, one pop 900's. Just hit it hard and let it go.

See ya,
Bill
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 12:21 PM »

This is great to see.  When you start to understand 'how' kites do things...you start to see the possibilities.

You are really doing great as a new flier.  You are certainly flying for the love it, and that's why we keep watching your videos despite their lack of earth shattering combos. 

Wonderful stuff.  As Ian suggested, the next step is to try to reign in your inputs to a minimum.  You can do this by ever improving the timing of the hit and the slack.  It is this progression from rough to smooth that makes it look so EASY when a master is flying.  Their timing is just better than ours. 

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
John Welden
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2011, 09:32 AM »

I've never found one pop 900's or multiple flat spins to be reliable.  I hate tricks where you yank a line and pray it does what you want.

For reliable multiple flat spins I learned like this.
Get a pitch stable kite.
Go out in light winds and practice pinwheels.
Practice trying to tend the pinwheel on the way down and keep it in control.
Add more and more control to your pinwheel until you are in total control and its not really a pinwheel anymore. It's multiple flat spins.

The key to multiple flat spins is to keep the kite moving down wind the whole time.

To keep the kite moving down wind the whole time while remaining in control, you need to practice down wind glides over and over and over.  Multiple flat spins are a down wind glide where the kite is spinning.

This video shows what I'm talking about.
A Vapor Video by John Welden
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 09:46 AM »

That was beautiful John... I loved it.  I see what you mean... Actually I am ready to post yesterday's work out.  I start out rough but start to apply what you said before..Practice the fade.. I also combined Norm.Obi... work on the edge of the window... Feel the wind...  I stayed out there a good part of the day...  John your video played at 360p but I saw the real 360... Nice flying.  Actually beautiful flying... And Thanks for all your feed back. I need it.

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
John Welden
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 10:58 AM »

Sorry thats the best video I have. I don't know what happened to the original. I'm not the one who posted it on youtube. 360p should be illegal.

At least you can see the kite moving down wind.
Bill Rogers
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 08:17 AM »

I've never found one pop 900's or multiple flat spins to be reliable.

The only kite I have found to do this reliably is the Wahoo. That was the coolest thing about that kite. That and the endless side slides.

See ya,
Bill
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document