GWTW Forum
October 20, 2014, 07:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Full days work... I finally am getting it... I hope.  (Read 1399 times)
vertigo2u
Trade Count: (+5)

« on: September 04, 2011, 09:55 AM »

Well I took a lot of feed back and tried to apply it.  The wind wasn't so bad and I worked and worked.  BIG CHANGE though.. I took out my Moonie Exile that I thought I was going to sell.. Not anymore.  I didn't get everything that happen yesterday on vid.  But a number of nice fade's and roll out's began to happen as I the day went on. 

I park on the edge of the window and worked Turtle's and Lazy's.. I got a nunmber of fade take off's also.  Did some nice fade's and was able to hold them.  I think I am bringing my hands intoo close too soon.  Since the video on the Solus were I go into a fade a couple times.. I may be getting close. 

As always I appreciate the training and help.  I hope other's are able to gain the insight I do fromeveryone's input.  This is a  long video...  Istart out rough with the kite.  ( I have flown maybe twice ) Lips sealed Lips sealed .  But it did not take long to feel her.  I couldn't stop throughing her on her back or fade... It was a pleasure after all the failure.  Now to Roll her up...

I loved that Video of your's John.. I see what you are talking about.  It will help for me to visualize. Hope everyone goes back on the other post and views it... Worth the dime and nickle ............. Thanks I appreciate it...  Grin

work.wmv

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
Baby "Zoomer". Symphony 1.8 para foil...
John Welden
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 11:01 AM »

You are in way more control than the last time I watched one of your videos. Nice job.

You'll be the one making instructional videos soon..
vertigo2u

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 07:59 AM »

Norm are my hands criss-crossed ?? during that fade and am I holding my lines to close???  Also, I am too excited about holding the fade and come out too soon.. I think..  I worked for hours.  A lot of good stuff not video'd.  A number of take off Fade's and other fades in the air.  I think I get too excited..  But I am concerned about my hands being too close..

Kite Bag:  Solus ul, Solus std, Pro Dancer SUL, Widow Maker,Widow Maker UL, Ocius SUL, Vision,Vison 5 stack
adx1592
Trade Count: (+31)

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 02:39 PM »

Also, I am too excited about holding the fade and come out too soon.. I think..  I worked for hours.  A lot of good stuff not video'd.  A number of take off Fade's and other fades in the air.  I think I get too excited..  But I am concerned about my hands being too close..

JoeJoeJoe,
From what I saw it looks like you were trying to hold it and keep it, and when it comes up before you want it to, you get flustered and your arms move around more to compensate when its diving into the ground. I learned how to control my fades by my chest because when you're moving the kite in the fade to stabilize it, you can't OVER compensate because you'll hit yourself. A good way to learn small inputs for a fade. As the kite comes off a fade, your arms come down. You've never moved them up almost all summer. Don't pick up bad habits when learning something to compensate for them. You've never crossed your hands in a fade before, you've never moved your hands/arms up when we were flying before. Looks like you might need to separate learning a new trick and flying basics a little more to remind yourself of, well, the basics. Clear your head for a bit.

For the MultiLazies, the nose hasn't bobbed back far down enough to stay in a rotating turtle with the input your giving. It looks very, very strong. Try lightening up a bit. Maybe try it on a UL first. When you get your Solus (soon!!!) try it on that, as it holds a turtle pretty well as you know. So long story short, smack it out of the air and on its back, then lighten up on the rotational based input. Finesse it.

-Devin Cobleigh-Morrison
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 02:15 AM »

You seem to not know what happens when you pull or push a fade.  Discover this.  Push the fade (walk toward the kite) when the nose drops...when the nose is high, you can walk backwards to make it rise further.  Holding a steady fade in the wind I could 'see' will require you walk forward for sure.  Only in very light winds is a fade stable without some forward.

When you flare the kite with the intention of pulling it back to the fade, there is absolutely zero rush.  It will stay flared if you keep walking a step or two.  Make sure the flare is level and stable...equalize the pressure on both lines before pulling it back to the fade to assure it reaches that position level.  Furthermore, at the side of the wind window, a fade is much harder to hold because the wind is not symmetrically hitting the sail.  Dead center is where the fade is clamped in the best, and that's why it's almost always necessary to walk forward.

Holding a fade is very very subtle (this coming from someone who is still not that good at it).  But essential to learning it is getting the first three seconds to be much more stable than what I have seen in this video.  Key to this will be where you choose to fade the kite. 

On your axels, it looks to me like one line (the tip that is not popped) remains tight through out the trick.  If you want them flatter, you are going to need to slack both lines after the rotation begins. 

Practice practice practice.

obi

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
asburyparkjohn
Trade Count: (+14)

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 09:13 AM »

In terms of the fade here are two tips I used when I first started to learn this trick:

1. Rather than a straight arm jerk forward and backwards try this move a Master flyer showed me awhile back. Step 1: Fly the kite straight down. 2. Flare it as you are currently doing it. 3. Now the tricky part - To catch and hold the fade your arms being straight out after the flare bring them back but ROLL THEM TOGETHER QUICKLY in a 360* type CLOCKWISE fashion as you CONTINUALLY bring them back to your body and then straight out again - SLOWLY to avoid a nose plant into the ground. The roll being performed only as your arms are coming in toward your body. Once the fade is somewhat locked  Wink IMMEDIATELY take baby steps or big steps (higher wind) toward the kite to stabilize. Don't wait. Just walk in! 4. Focus on ONE THING now. The Nose. It pitches down move forward. At this point if it pitches up just stay put in my opinion at this point of the learning curve. Try to hold the Fade as much as possible. 5. If you get alot of nose dives into the ground wait for a calmer day (if you can  Wink Wink). As mentioned try it about 6-8' high in the central window for overall wind stability. I am sure their are other tips. It was the rolling of the hands and the immediate walk-in which broke me through this trick.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 09:28 AM by asburyparkjohn » Logged

In my kite inventory of Dual Line Kites: Benson - Inner Space, Signature Kite of Top Pilots on an Old Style Gemini ; L'Atelier xt.z. ; Fearless-Tatto (SSUL), Fearless - SUL, Light & Light-Vent , Transformer TL's: (SUL & Light), Transformer 2 SUL & UL.
tpatter
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 10:31 AM »

It's like flying a rev - 4 axes of control.  Smiley  It's a finesse trick.

If the nose is pointing up, you can add (slight) tension to make the fade rise. 

If the nose it heading down, move forward (slightly) in order to make it point up so you can stay in control.  If it goes too far down, you are toast.

If the right wing is below horizontal, add tension (slight now) with your left hand in order to bring it back to horizontal.  Remember to release that added tension as it stabilizes, or it will not stabilize.

If the left wing is dipping, same as above, but with your right hand.

The key, is to make small slight tensioned movements and relax.  It takes alot of practice to get in tune with the lines, but its fun.  Once you really nail it and if you have smooth wind, you can make the kite move up, down, left, and right at will - holding the fade as long as you like.  In bad bumpy wind, it can be much harder or even impossible to maintain for a long time.   

I find SULs the best to practice this stuff on - they are super floaty and the wind is lower so its just easier.

Good luck!

6 kite tom
RobB
Trade Count: (+9)

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2011, 04:43 PM »

What I've done when practicing the fade is to get into it, and see how long I can hold it. 30 seconds is a long time when you're holding a fade ! Tick-tock...   Smiley

vertigo2u

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2011, 05:29 PM »

Who let the bad weather In... Wind,rain all day long....  Got my NEW "SOLUS" today am very excited about flying it.  Maybe tomorrow.  I can't wait to try new tips.  Wink Wink.  It's what I need to hear.  I keep trying on edge of window.  Goona get in the middle and hold the fade over and over again.  Not sure how I crossed my hands,but it doesn't happen everytime.  But this bringing my hands in close is not gonna work.  I remember seeing your arms and hands by your side Rob.  You didn't bring hands in till the end.  It's when I started to question my ability to hold it with my hands inso close.  guys answered my question of which way to walk....

I luv you guys for real...  You have all combined to make me a better flyer.  I read and re-read everything and have Bookmarked video's of mama74 also the written stuff...and RandyG.

Last week I bought a " INAK " and got 20'/50# line set.  Just haven't been able to fly it yet.... If it rains tomorrow gonna find a Gym...
Have do some close flying to understand the briddle and what happens.  Gonna get this... sooner than later.

I am involved with a Sept.11th anniversary at the Beach on Sunday... gonna fly some Flag Kites ... they are lighting off the rice paper latern's.   I got a 9' Delta US Flag Kite with tails, also ordered 10 small flag kites with tails... hopefully the wind will co-operate..................  Should look nice and respectable.

Danno419
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 11:35 AM »

Gonna get this... sooner than later.

You can count on that.... keep it up!

JoE Talon UL #4
JoE Talon STD #138
Zephyr
4D
Acrobatx
Snapshot 1.2 & 2.5
Hmmmm Talon vent or SUL next... decisions decisions.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change