GWTW Forum
December 17, 2014, 05:14 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My First Quad Flight Today  (Read 2287 times)
flyinhigh
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 04, 2011, 07:28 PM »

Finally had my first flight with my new Rev 1.5 SLE (w/fat leading edge) that I bought from this site. (Thanks oyehut1955!) My background is with dual line kites and r/c gliders. I read the Rev Book and watched all the free videos so was prepared as I was gonna be.

What an incredibly fun experience! Winds were ~17/mph which seems about perfect for this setup. The coolest thing by far is the pitch control which seemed to me like strapping on a motor! It never stopped feeling strange being able to speed up and slow down the kite in flight. Strange but in a very good way.

Started off flying back and fourth like a dual line- as the rev book suggests- just getting used to pulling back on the bottom handles to turn instead of pulling and pushing a whole side like a dual line. That and feeling in awe of the pitch control. I would forget I was controlling the pitch and get confused why it was accelerating or slowing down and then it would click again- usually accompanied by a huge smile. It kept surprising me somehow.

After getting somewhat comfortable with 'normal' flight I tried doing some hovering, mostly unsuccessful. I definitely have a new appreciation of the skills involved from the videos online. You guys are really talented!

Then practiced trying to fly backwards for quite a while. It's a lot more temperamental than I imagined. If you don't keep the lines perfectly even, the kite tries to spin, especially with speed. Sometimes is even seemed to buck, haha. This will take a lot of practice to master.

Finally, spent the last part of the day being enamored like a little kid with a shiny object at dive stopping. So fun! I would dive down on the left side, stop and turn towards the right, then fly up in one motion and do it again on the other side. Never got tired of doing this over and over again just trying to get smoother. Fabulous!

I love a good challenge and this will keep me entertained for years. So I guess this is a warm Hello to all the dark siders. You sucked in another one.
Sherman Myers
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 07:25 AM »

Welcome to the dark FUN side. Four-line kites add a level of possible control that is amazing. (If only I could master it.)

Sherman Myers
Westfield, NJ
Jynx
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 12:30 AM »

flyinhigh ~ I'm just guessing here... and if I was a betting person I'd do that too...

Your kite will have a few new friends (in your kite bag) within a year!

WE GOTCHA!

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky."
Jimi Hendrix
flyinhigh

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2011, 12:03 PM »

flyinhigh ~ I'm just guessing here... and if I was a betting person I'd do that too...

WE GOTCHA!

Thanks! You would have won the bet already since I just ordered a set of race rods. That's like a second kite right?

Am also fascinated by the speed series and was seriously considering one as my first quad. That would have been a huge mistake! Shocked  Definitely see one in my future though. Flying quads is much more challenging than I thought it would be. You guys posting the videos make it look soooo easy!
Jim Foster

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 01:14 PM »

flyinhigh

Welcome to the Rev "family".

Sounds like you are having a great time.  You will find that using the race rods will make your kite more flexible and a little easier to control.

Get that hover under control, and then get in line with other Rev fliers for some real fun.

Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun
Jynx
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 09:57 AM »

WE GOTCHA!
Thanks! You would have won the bet already since I just ordered a set of race rods. That's like a second kite right?
Am also fascinated by the speed series and was seriously considering one as my first quad. That would have been a huge mistake! Shocked  Definitely see one in my future though. Flying quads is much more challenging than I thought it would be. You guys posting the videos make it look soooo easy!

You'll LUV the race rods! ...and the added control you'll experience!

Personally I'd hold off on the speed series, you may want to consider adding a 1.5 mid-vent first! (Just my humble opinion!)

Most importantly... HAVE FUN!

"Excuse me while I kiss the sky."
Jimi Hendrix
flyinhigh

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2011, 08:59 PM »

The race rods arrived today... yeah! The wind though was unfortunately non-existent just like every day since flying last weekend. Am usually pretty patient but since the kite is new am going a little stir crazy.  Huh

Soooo... took it out anyway just to see what they're like and I must say, very impressive! The kite is so light now and even flexes a bit, it feels like a completely different kite. Tried walking it backwards but am not good enough to keep it airborne after starting a turn. Still it's 10x better than the fat leading edge in these conditions.

Can't wait for some actual wind except I can since the forecast says more of the same all next week. sigh... am kicking myself for not getting into these when I lived on the beach in SoCal. Years ago in a drama class I met a weird girl who claimed to be a witch and could control the wind... wish I could get a hold of her now! haha.

And Yes Jynx, it'll be quite a while before I'm ready for a speed series. To all you guys in SoCal: Enjoy all that smooth plentiful wind!!
goestoeleven
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 09:11 PM »

Welcome to the quad world.  Watch out . . . it's addictive!  My second rev is a Shockwave - and I have to say it was quite a while before I could fly it.  The dual line habits that you can recover from with a 1.5 will make a speed series fall out of the air, because the handle-pull induced slides will happen so fast that the kite will be stalled out of the window before you realize what happened.  My two cents - get good with the 1.5 for a few more weeks before you try a speed series.  You'll learn the more precise control required by the speed series by getting good on the standard.  Then, I'd see if someone will let you fly theirs at a festival so you can try it out.  If you're ever at a festival in the Chicago area, I'd be happy to let you try mine (because it's pretty likely I'll be flying a "regular" 1.5 instead of my speed series Smiley )
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Kite Classifieds Ad
Fly Market

A Wind Of Change
skyshark

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear above and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

Cal Custom

Support the GWTW Forum