GWTW Forum
April 24, 2014, 11:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: trick help please  (Read 1034 times)
vigli
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 15, 2011, 08:45 AM »

Hi to all
I need help from all of You about one trick.
Look at this video please:
http://www.sportkitedesign.se/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=54&Itemid=69

Moment on 12 second:
Kite is doing nice cascade. Entering cascade with LEFT HAND /the axle/, then pulling out with right hand-like regular cascade and then kite is making new axle move and cascade is break on wonderfull way. Wow
I was trying to do that move- in this case on video with left hand and I canít do that!!!  simply  kite is ready for continue cascade and for the right hand not left.
I was trying it on Sea Devil kite.  I think that SeaDevil std. CAN do this trick but I didn't see it doing that on some video, like Seven is making it.
Also I saw on some video Gemini to do this trick the same too.
Were do I go wrong?> any advice and help.
Thank You so much.
Very nice way to break cascade is this trick
Boris
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 12:39 AM by vigli » Logged
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 08:56 AM »

That's a comete, just cut off after the first rotation -
Comete

Stunt Kite Tutorial "The Comete"

I think Randy's done a tutorial, but I can't find it - anyone have a link to that?
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 08:59 AM by Will S » Logged
vigli

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 09:08 AM »

Wow-thanks for help.that expaing me a lot....
But for Comete after second pull with sam left hand kite is in the turte position but kite Seven run in the FADE position....
that moment is confusing me.
Maybe the kite should leave to rotate more to pass turtle phase
thanks
boris
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 09:19 AM by vigli » Logged
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 09:22 AM »

He let the comet overrotate a bit and instead of giving the recovery pop he pulled it into the fade.
How far a comete overrotates can be controlled by the pilot, although some kites make it easier than others. Once you've mastered a clean comete, you can experiment with things like adjusting the rotation degree and then adding those elements into combinations like this.
JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 09:27 AM »

http://v2.1.kiteclique.com/wordpress-3.0/wordpress/tutorials/randygs
RonG
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 09:42 AM »

Damn, forgot what a nice looking Machine that was in the TP video.  Now to figure out where I stashed it (dig through the old box of sails, I guess).

Yeah, first video is a partial comete rotation into partial JL to exit flip-flop (stationary cascade).  Nice, easy way to spice up the exit.
vigli

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 11:11 PM »

Thanks for help.
One comentar (from Will S) was that some kites can do COMETE easyer then other kite.
I have extra nice feel with Sea Devil and I feel so confidence when I fly it. It is so neutral and forgiving....and it has wide wind range...
I can cascade it with hours but I'm stucked with comete trick... Hope I will learn it...

In which category You would put Sea Devil Std- it would be kite for easyer comete learning or harder??? From You experience....

Other tricks which I learn on SD are very nice, fluid and not hard to learn. Smiley
thanks a lot....
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 11:17 PM by vigli » Logged
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 11:28 PM »

It's built in!  Smiley

The comete, at least for me, was unlike learning any other trick.  I had to happen upon it by simulating how I saw others do it then work backwards to really get it.  When you can do it on an SUL in 1.5 mph of wind, then you really get it.  I think I see others learning this trick in a similar way.  And still, only one direction!

Keep at it, it ain't the kite!  Smiley

6 kite tom
vigli

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 11:40 PM »

Tpatter,
please explain me words  "" ain't the kite!""
thanks
My engish....
sorry
thanks
RonG
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 02:52 AM »

The comete, at least for me, was unlike learning any other trick.  I had to happen upon it by simulating how I saw others do it then work backwards to really get it.
This is basically what I have been saying for years now about learning the comete.  Some tricks lend themselves to a careful analysis and break down of kite movements to "reason" your way to the trick.  The comete is not one of them.  I've seen people struggle for years trying to learn it methodically, and others pick it up relatively quickly just by aping the pilot movements of others and, to use your term, "backing" into it. 

It pains me a little to see all the detailed explanations of the positions the kite passes through during a comete rotation - hell even the TP training video posted above that we did to teach judges how to score it is guilty of that.  Anyone who truly understands the comete knows that it doesn't tend to click perfectly between 4 distinct positions during iterations; it's a constant adjustment on the part of the kite and the pilot.  That's why I think "Step 1, do this, Step 2, do that, etc." tends to frustrate more than help.

please explain me words  "" ain't the kite!""

It means "Your problem is not the kite; the kite can do the trick."
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 02:59 AM by RonG » Logged
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 05:25 AM »

The comete is easy.

You give a firm input to one side while slacking the other just enough to allow the kite to approach the flare or turtle position.

As the kite starts to approach the flare or the turtle and before it gets there, you take away the slack to return it to flying position.  Total time here, less than a second.

It's a simple one-two count.  One to pop it out (with opposite hand slack) and two to pull it back. 

Then you do exactly the same thing again immediately...over and over.

Start by barely letting it flare before you pull it back.  Count one-two very fast.  This will look more like the kite is being poorly handled, but will keep you on the tight line side of things, which is where you want to be.

Then add increments of more slack while keeping your tempo (one-two) the same.  Sooner or later, you'll see it really popping nearly to the flare or the turtle while you pull it back just in time.  That's it.

There are some subtleties when looking at the two main positions of the basic move.  By adding more subtle and more precise inputs, you can start to approach a three position comete which is much prettier.   

obi
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 11:50 AM by obijuankenobe » Logged

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
tempest
Trade Count: (+10)

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 06:45 AM »

The comete is a very complicated trick  Cry  Cry  but when you get the hang of it  Undecided ,you will understand that it was not as difficult as it looks  Cheesy  Cheesy. I struggled learning this trick for some time, only doing one rotation and ending into a fade and nothing more  Cry  Cry  Cry, then did not fly for about 4 months. All the while , thought about what i could be doing wrong and going through the different stages of the trick. I started flying again and in my first attempt i was able to continue on to 2 rotations , then 3,eventually down to the ground  Wink  Cheesy  Grin. Could be that some tricks need to be left alone for a while ,as we may be continually doing the wrong inputs all the time  Roll Eyes .
Jest_of_Eve

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 11:04 AM »

I like what Ron says about watching other fliers, the hand movements in the comete have a very distinct rhythm. If you can set up and start the sequence with the first couple of inputs, you may be able to get close quite quickly by copying the hand movements.

I remember learning to do 540's in about 15minutes, not by going through a sequence of awkward and unfamiliar moves, but by copying the arm/hand movements of Andy Wardley in the DVD Flying Techniques. Still took a long time to perfect them, but this imitation broke the back of the trick very quickly.

http://www.jestofevekites.com
http://www.justin.tv/jest_of_eve

The Talon colourizer will increase your sex-drive and save the world from climate change and pixies!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography