GWTW Forum
October 22, 2014, 09:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Moon Muse or Focus Hydra?  (Read 4010 times)
Will Sturdy
Trade Count: (+3)

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 11:28 AM »

It depends on what you want.

I think you will find the hydra to be much better at modern tricks and easy to learn a lot of stuff on. If you are looking to get into modern tricks it would be better.

The exile is a really nice kite, it is easy to fly and what everyone else said. It would probably be better at learning the basics solidly.

If I was in a position between the two I would definitely go for the hydra, but we probably have different criteria.
DaveH
Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 11:29 AM »

I noticed you have an Acrobatx.  I've got one too.  I had it out yesterday.  What a scream!  If mine ever totally dies I'll be in touch with Steve for a replacement within minutes.  But the difference you'll find in a full sized sail along the lines of what's been mentioned here will make your trick learning life so much easier.  Just the consistency, hang time, smoothness and stability.  A whole other level.
MtnFlyer
Trade Count: (+50)

« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 11:51 AM »

Dave, you flew both the Exile UL and Mantis V2, remember?  Cheesy

Bob
DaveH
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2009, 11:59 AM »

Boy, do I ever remember!  That was a really great day.  Thanks  :)The one that stuck with me was the Mantis.  That's right, it was a V2.  What I remember is the impeccable balance and refined response.  I've currently got Deep Space fever, but the Mantis is on my list as a must have kite.  I've got a set of wind specific QPs but have been wanting a set of something else.  Could be the Mantis will be it. 
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2009, 01:35 PM »

Can't comment on the Focus having never flown thier dual line kites but I have flown the Skate SLK and was bored to tears in comparison to the Blue Moon 61/49.

I do own and will say that either the Exile or the Muse (if you want to save a few $$'s) would fit your needs and I couldn't add anything to the above statements about quality & Ken except more praise. Both are capable kites that I progressed with nicely.

The Skyburner WidowMaker mentioned above is a great kite for learning tricks on though, IMO a bit easier then either of the BMK's. It's a little slower, especially in higher winds and it's nailed while on it's back in a turtle or fade giving you time to get your head together for the next move. And it's been the easiest kite for me to roll up that I've flown when you get to that. Since I'm not good with roll-ups though I haven't tried them on every kite I've tested either.

You definitely won't be disappointed in any Blue Moon Kite and they will take you as far as you can go until somebody invents a radically new kite & tricks. But truthfully I reach for the Widowmaker more often since I am definitely in the Learning category.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 01:44 PM by mikenchico » Logged

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Will Sturdy

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2009, 10:11 AM »

"Can't comment on the Focus having never flown thier dual line kites but I have flown the Skate SLK and was bored to tears in comparison to the Blue Moon 61/49."

They are entirely different kites. I would say comparing the skate to the 61/49 is a bit like apples and oranges, but the hydra is a totally different kite from the skate.
moegeo

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2009, 10:37 AM »

Mike, I think if you were to try the Skate indoors you would be very impressed, and absolutely not bored.
Agreed, two totaly different kites.

I flew the Hydra at KP7 and very much liked it. Although I haven't flown the Muze, compaired to the Exile, which I love, similar in feel near their lower wind range but very different as the wind picks up. The Hydra did not seem as prone to increased drive and speed as much as the Exlie.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 10:46 AM by moegeo » Logged

Say Good Night Dick
UPNET
Trade Count: (+7)

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2009, 04:41 PM »

Isn't the Muse intended as My First Blue Moon™ ? Seems like a good way to start down the slippery slope of handmade kites.

Mike.

I think I see where this is going! Wink

Chris
« Last Edit: May 01, 2009, 04:43 PM by UPNET » Logged

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Voltaire
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

A Wind Of Change