GWTW Forum
April 17, 2014, 08:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns?  forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Learning Tricks  (Read 1475 times)
Wayner
Trade Count: (+11)

« on: September 15, 2011, 02:26 PM »

I'm and old school flyer, starting to learn about modern trick kites.

With help I have been focused on developing new skills of feeling and controling the kite. Stalls, slides, fades, light wind flying and ground work.

Is there an order to best learn tricks?

Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 03:49 PM »

Not sure if there is any specific order, just learn them as you go.  If you find one trick you like, try to get it mastered.  Many tricks are compilations of other tricks.  For instance, the Jacobs Ladder is a fade, half rotation, half backspin, flare, etc..  Learning one trick can lead into others.

Usually, the first trick people learn is the Axle.  Because it is one of the easiest to learn.

JimB
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 10:00 PM »

Do you know how to stall a kite?

That's a good place to start if you don't: essential in fact.

Learning the various ground launches will help you to spend more time flying and less time walking up to the kite after the inevitable happens. I'd place that as the second thing to learn.

From there the half axel and axel would be handy things to know, the half axel in particular.

Then maybe the pancake (flair), fade, and turtle (backflip). One of the easiest tricks to do on modern kites is the lazy susan.

Not to get too far a head: The stall, some ground launches, the half axel.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 10:04 PM by JimB » Logged
Wayner

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 10:58 PM »

I can stall, axel and fade launch and sometimes throw in a 540. The half axel is kicking my butt. Embarrassed

Lots more flying time required Wink 

I hope my wife will understand.

zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 01:14 AM »

Is there an order to best learn tricks?

There is not and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

This, however, might help you plot your own course. If you don't recognise some~any of the names or know what each entails then this may be of assistance too. Although some of is in indecipherable gibberish so....

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
mikenchico
Board Moderator
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 07:42 AM »

... The half axel is kicking my butt. Embarrassed

The Half Axel is pretty easy, fly level across the window, to start go past the power zone but not all the way to the edge, you want the kite still under power. Then give a quick push to the upper wing followed immediately by a sharp pull and give it slack with both hands, not too much slack though, just relieve any tension. As the nose passes the flare position bring both hands back to you centered to pull the kite back out, done quickly this will give a nice POP to the sail, and fly back off level in the opposite direction.

So all on the upper wing - Quick Push, to dump the pressure off the sail - Pop, just like you would for an Axel - a little slack - Pull & Step back to exit level.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
RonG
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 08:38 AM »

The half axel is kicking my butt. Embarrassed

It's worth your time to master.  An astounding number of tricks are built around a series of half axel-type inputs.
obijuankenobe
Trade Count: (+1)

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 12:11 PM »

... The half axel is kicking my butt. Embarrassed

The Half Axel is pretty easy, fly level across the window, to start go past the power zone but not all the way to the edge, you want the kite still under power. Then give a quick push to the upper wing followed immediately by a sharp pull and give it slack with both hands, not too much slack though, just relieve any tension. As the nose passes the flare position bring both hands back to you centered to pull the kite back out, done quickly this will give a nice POP to the sail, and fly back off level in the opposite direction.

So all on the upper wing - Quick Push, to dump the pressure off the sail - Pop, just like you would for an Axel - a little slack - Pull & Step back to exit level.

If I recall correctly, I learned this move from RandyG's wonderful tutorial.  It is equivalent to lightly pop the bottom wing before hitting the top to pull it down to the flare.  I would suggest that as wind speeds pick up, how hard you hit the bottom wing can be adjusted for wind speed easier than the push.  You must give bottom wing slack first as this is the wing that needs it first.  This is quite key, and also quite subtle. 

Either way, you are essentially shaking the kite to interrupt the air flow with the first input (and the second in combination), while pulling the top wing down with the 2nd...and then allowing it flare with the immediate slack (bottom needs it first).  Finally, you should lift what was the bottom wing with tension first (before equalizing for straight light flight) as the timing of this determines your exit trajectory.  Careful control of this and you can chose your angle of exit at will.

Know what's really cool?  If you do a half axel at the top of the window....and then repeat the same inputs just before you nose plant, you have a 2pt landing or even a slamming tip stand.  You can practice this safely by starting with the bottom half axel above the ground a bit.  Once it is stalling in front of you before flying back up, just dare to do it lower.  Eventually you'll be doing hours of 2pt landings because it's so damn relaxing.

It is an essential trick.  Quite frankly, folks that don't half axel as part of normal flying...well, let's say I don't watch too long. 

Hold the kite in front of you and make the kite half axel.  Keep in mind that the wind is blowing the kite backwards and observe how the bottom wing goes away from you before the kite reaches the flare.  In the flare, slack is equal left and right...but before that...the bottom wing slack should lead.

I fricken' love the half axel.  I can watch tight lines and half axels all day. 

obi
« Last Edit: September 16, 2011, 12:13 PM by obijuankenobe » Logged

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return." L daVinci
tpatter
Trade Count: (+19)

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 12:30 PM »

I can watch tight lines and half axels all day. 
obi

Me 2!  Smiley   Tight lines are worth a mention for sure.  I don't recall seeing a tutorial on how to do sharp, laser-cut turns and precision, but there should be one. 

When I watch someone fly like that and then they also lay down tricks and combos its much more impressive that someone doing amazing tricks, but with willy-nilly flying in between.

I've been learning tricks for some time now, but I only recently have taken up learning how to actually fly the kite well at the same time.  I wish I had started that much earlier.

6 kite tom
Gamelord
Trade Count: (+2)

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 01:20 PM »

For me, the secret of the half axle is all in the punch out of slack on the bottom wing.  You need to throw a ton of slack on the bottom wing at the same time you pop the top wing and it has to be done with aggression.  If you are not slamming bottom slack with sincere aggression, your half axle will never complete and the kite will either flip upwards onto its back or just go screwy into a spinning mess.

For a sharp half axle, the kite needs to be flying under pressure and then instantly slam flat on its belly.  This can only happen by throwing in a minimum of 2-3 feet of slack on the bottom lines at the same time you pop the top.  No slack - no half axle.  Wink

Wayner

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 03:43 PM »

I can watch tight lines and half axels all day. 
obi

Me 2!  Smiley   

Me 3!  Smiley

Thanks for the info. But during todays flight time The half axle kick my ass again  Embarrassed

If you are not slamming bottom slack with sincere aggression, your half axle will never complete and the kite will either flip upwards onto its back or just go screwy into a spinning mess.

Gamelord, this is a good discription of what my sorry half axle attemps look lite.   Cry
Since you showed me the half axle about a month ago. Looks like I will be asking for a lot of help at the group fly tonight.  Thanks in advanced.

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 06:37 PM »

Yep RandyGs vid does a bottom pop first and some kites might need it but I haven't found one that does. I wouldn't be able to do them on a kite that did.

Obi posted a great video on square turns with a satisfying pop on exit a month or two ago. Think it was French style or something.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
randyg
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2011, 08:59 PM »

You don't have to do that bottom wing pop but I've found, at least with the kites I've owned, if you start the trick that way it'll come off way more crisp.

YMMV

zippy8
Trade Count: (+13)

« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 10:54 PM »

Gents..... Axel. And here's why.

He came up with it, he gets to name it.

Mike.

Virtual Freestyle - ǝlʎʇsǝǝɹɟ lɐnʇɹıʌ
Wayner

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2011, 12:56 PM »

Thanks to you all on your help on me learning the half axle.

I learned a lot at our weekly night group fly last Friday.

First I learned a new walk of shame as fidelio completed about 12 perfect half axles as I walked to the flying field.  Cheesy

I then got some lessons first from fidelio, then gamelord. chilese showed me the two point axle (guess the master teacher saw the student was not ready for the half axle.)

I completed my first and only half axle  Smiley before they turned off the lights at 11pm. My score for the night was one on 30 attempts Embarrassed, While the half axle is still kicking my butt, I know know I can do it.  Wink Strange but I have better success left handed.  Roll Eyes

I do love this sport and a old dog can learn new tricks. It just takes a little longer.  Cool

This week I'm just waiting on the wind  Cry

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear in the right margin of the forum and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom of the page)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them. >>>
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

member support is greatly appreciated!

Cal Custom
kitekids.net

Untitled Document
J Hall Photography