GWTW Forum
September 17, 2014, 10:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Terrible Tragedy at the Reno Air Races Yesterday.  (Read 1039 times)
Dano
Trade Count: (+8)

« on: September 17, 2011, 05:08 PM »

I am grateful to be alive today!
I was only about 10 boxes or approximately 100' to the left of where he went in.
Presently only 9 confirmed dead and over 50 injuries.
It could have been MUCH worse, having the P-51 pointed straight down on me and my guests for a few milliseconds. I have attended almost all of the 48 years of this event but this is the only day i wish not  to remember. My heart goes out to the pilots family and spectators affected by it.
I'm still in shock today...

[attachment deleted by admin to converve server storage space]
Desertflier
Trade Count: (+26)

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 05:16 PM »

Huh Wow! Dan you are a blessed man. I was not there but my heart felt prayers will go out to those affected. I'm glad you are ok Dan.
Ed.

All gave some, some gave all- U.S. Army Vet
Turkey9186
Trade Count: (+6)

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 05:47 PM »

It has been a bad year for the airshow circuit and the hits keep coming.  A T28 crashed at Martinsburg VA today.
Aviation is very unforgiving.  Once something starts to go wrong the outcome is usually not good....
Hopefully the "sky is falling" crowd will not put an end to airshows and air racing.
reddobie
Trade Count: (+32)

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 06:06 PM »

Wow, what can I say.  My thoughts go out to all the injured and dead.  Dano, you are a lucky man.

Mark

Sent from my htc EVO using Tapatalk.

Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 07:57 PM »

It has been a bad year for the airshow circuit and the hits keep coming.  A T28 crashed at Martinsburg VA today.
Aviation is very unforgiving.  Once something starts to go wrong the outcome is usually not good....
Hopefully the "sky is falling" crowd will not put an end to airshows and air racing.
  +1 on this.   Glad your ok Dano.  Its a shame that this happened but air shows are still one of the safest forms of entertainment out there.  I haven't caught the pilots name anyone have a link to reports?
Dano
Trade Count: (+8)

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 08:02 PM »

Local news..
www.rgj.com
http://www.kolotv.com/

This is their website, but basically all info has been pulled from the site for now..
http://airrace.org/
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 08:21 PM by Dano » Logged
jeepersjoey
Trade Count: (+5)

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 01:18 PM »

I was in a small crowd in Ft Bragg in the early 90s when, during a capabilities exercises display, a C-130 slammed into the ground and then exploded.  I have never seen so many strong men cry in my life.  Sad day...

"May you live until you die, no more, no less" - Eddie Izzard

"I'm not this way because I'm an Engineer.  I am an Engineer because I'm this way."
Jim Foster
Trade Count: (0)

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 03:49 PM »

Dano

So glad you are OK.  I know exactly what you mean about not wanting to remember the event.  Lynn and I went the year Tommy Thompson, I think he was from Sacramento, went straight in on the back stretch of the short course.  I think it was in the late 70s. 

It's really too bad that there is danger of that degree involved.  It's such a rush when the big boys come by at speed.  The whine and roar of those Rolls Royce Merline engines, and the big radials is like no other sound. 

Fly Together! Share the Joy, Share the Fun
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document