GWTW Forum
September 03, 2014, 12:43 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Forum Info Login Register Chat  
Welcome to the GWTW Forum.
Guests (non-registered users) can view the forum but are unable to post.  If you don't have anything to say then why would you bother to register?
One of the most popular sections of the GWTW Forum has long been the Swap Meet.  A great place to sell old, seldom flown kites or to get great deals on used (gently flown) kites.  Only registered users can see the Swap Meet section, let alone wheel and deal.  1000's (literally) of kites have changed hands thanks to the Swap Meet.
There are several more benefits to being a registered user, but you'll have to join our little community to find out all the "secrets".
Questions or concerns? Contact Steve ... just drop an email to: forum.gwtwkites@gmail.com

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New from Pennsylvania  (Read 2879 times)
Brosenberger
Trade Count: (0)

« on: September 18, 2011, 07:19 AM »

Hey all, I've been reading the forums for the last few days trying to take in all the info I can but I have a few questions.  First a bit about me.

I live in Reading, PA and vacation in OC MD once a year.  I was very intrigued by stunt kites a year ago and on the demands of my wife didn't buy a kite until we got home.  After a few failed attempts in getting my kite in the air for any amount of time, I decided that PA just wasn't right for flying.  I waited an entire year until this past week to get my kite really in the air.  I spent a few hours every day down on the beach flying and had a blast.  After solidifying my knowledge of how the kites work and the different parts of the wind window I felt like I wanted to learn more than loops, landings, gliding across the window and taking off from a crash as opposed to the walk of shame.  I have also learned that the first kite i bought, Sky Dog Little Wing, is not the ideal kite for progressing. so....

I need some suggestions of where to start.  I read a lot about kites but still see abbreviations I don't understand and wish I could find a kite dictionary. lol.  I am going to need a kite that can fly in almost no wind at all but hold up to gusts here and there.  Most recently I was looking at the Prism 4d simply because it doesn't require wind at all and it fits in the price range that I am looking to spend.  I'm not sure if that's a good decision or just an ill-informed one.  I also would like to find a good video showing a decent progression of tricks.  I see a lot with the kite but very few showing the flyers hands while the kite is responding.

I guess, in the end, I would like to know where to go from here.  I can't fly the kite I have 95% of the time but REALLY want to get further into this hobby.

Thanks,
Brad
madhabitz
Trade Count: (+4)

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 02:32 PM »

Hey there, welcome!

Others who know more will be along to help, but I've been where you are.... a very short time ago (couple of months). Some things you can do in the meantime:

- You came to the right place! There is a wealth of information and amazingly generous people here. Read the posts, follow the links, do searches for things you need to clarify. There are about a gazillion threads talking about "which kite should I get," so there's an abundance of information on that score. After awhile, you're gonna just have to make the leap. It's difficult, I know, because you don't want to make an expensive mistake. The thing is, how're you going to know what you like/dislike until you get some flying with other kites under your belt?

- Dig around for other Pennsylvania kiters. I know they are out there-- just looking at the map, you're within easy reach of a whole lot of major areas with a ton of people who love sport kites. You might even get lucky enough to try a few kites before you plunk down money for your own.

- Check out this forum's video/photo section. Really fun stuff there! Also check out youtube.com using search words you've gleaned from the forum.

- Don't beat yourself up with what you don't know. Once a week give a thought to what you know now that you didn't know a week ago. It's a good way to measure your progress.

- Check out Paul Shirey's series of tutorials called "Wing Tips" (http://www.aerostarsportkites.com/flying_tips.htm). I've found them wonderfully helpful, in that they are short'n sweet, super easy to understand, and a good progression of things to learn when you're starting out.

- Buy your wife a kite, too, so you guys can do this together. ;-)

Have fun!

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 07:47 AM »

I personally don't feel an Ultra Light or SUL is a good starter kite but if you are certain that those are the only winds available to you most of the time the Prism 4D would be a good choice. It seems pretty robust and well built like all Prism Kites ( I've heard of a few center T issues that are easily fixed ) plus Prism dealers and Prism itself are good about support and Steve right here at GWTW/Chico Kites can hook you up with any replacement parts as quick as the Post Office can get it to you if you don't have a local dealer.

I don't know your area, hopefully others will help, but scout your surrounding area for the best places to fly. Google Maps Satellite view can be a good starting place, there may be parks or schoolyards nearby you haven't seen. You need a clear upwind area, I've heard you should have at least 10 times the height of any trees or buildings open behind you. Swirling winds (rotors) make any kite difficult to fly, even though the wind speed may be suitable for the kite there are dead spots in the wind generated by the obstructions.

"Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see" John W Lennon

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
Brosenberger

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 04:59 PM »

Great feedback, thanks all! I guess my plan for a few weeks will be scouting out.  I'll keep my kite in the trunk of my car and try it anywhere and everywhere.  I'll need the time to convince my wife it's worth it anyway.  As far as buying her a kite too, her hobby is to give me a hard time about mine, lol.  Anyway, I'll keep up with the vids and scouting and keep you all posted. 

Thanks again,
Brad
Ca Ike
Trade Count: (+24)

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 08:06 PM »

THere is one flyer I know of in PA that might be willing to give you some on hand line time on a few different kites and know some places to fly. Talk to st3307, he lives in PA and could steer you in the right direction. 

Since you do have basic flight skills the 4d is a good choice for the price.  However, no/low wind flying is a whole different skill set from what you have learned so far.  My advice is to forego the 4d and get into a full size wing first such as the hypnotist, soul, Silverfox or something along those lines.  Full size (85 inch span or bigger) will fly in lower winds than your little wing will and give you more of an all around flight training than going right to an SUL like the 4D.  THe 4D and other SUL kites are easily overpowered in as little as 4 mph but learning to fly a standard full size kite in the low end of its wind range will teach you a lot more than flying an sul in the same wind.  Most standard kites will fly in as little as 3-4mph which is what most beginners feel is too light to fly in by mistakingly thinking its in the 0-2 mph range.

Talk to Steve here and he will get you set up with a good kite for a good price and even though you will spend more than a 4D, in the long run it will be worth it.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 07:31 AM »

As far as getting the wife involved. Maybe she would like a nice Single line kite, why? Find that park with that bane of kite fliers - a shade tree, if she enjoys the beach she might enjoy a day in the park and a good book. Then find that decent restaraunt around town (follow the seniors, they've found it), we have a couple with a 3 course meal for under $10 desert included. How many of our wives wouldn't enjoy a day spent relaxing, quality time with the mate & dinner out after a relaxing day.

Plus the single line draws attention and you get to gab with some nice people who will stop by to coment & pass along a smile. She might start flipping through the next  catalog before you get to see it.

"People do not quit playing because they grow old, they grow old because they quit playing" George Bernard Shaw
madhabitz

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 08:27 AM »

As far as getting the wife involved. Maybe she would like a nice Single line kite, why? Find that park with that bane of kite fliers - a shade tree, if she enjoys the beach she might enjoy a day in the park and a good book. Then find that decent restaraunt around town (follow the seniors, they've found it), we have a couple with a 3 course meal for under $10 desert included. How many of our wives wouldn't enjoy a day spent relaxing, quality time with the mate & dinner out after a relaxing day.

Plus the single line draws attention and you get to gab with some nice people who will stop by to coment & pass along a smile. She might start flipping through the next  catalog before you get to see it.

Oh Mike, you might just be the perfect man. You actually *get* it. Rhonda (hope I have her name right) flies kites too, right? It must make things so much more fun all the way around when you both enjoy the same thing.

A single line kite is a great solution. Wala! (pun intended)

Nancy

"I haven't failed. I've just found ten-thousand ways that won't work."   -Thomas Edison
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 11:26 AM »

Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  ROTFLMAO

Rhonda might disagree with you there, but she seems to appreciate me overall, guess I manage to tip the scales just a bit to the plus side  Wink

Brosenberger

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 04:13 PM »

So I'm going to wait a few months with the kite I have and hope to pick up the Hypnotist before next spring.  Thanks for all the tips so far!

Brad
madhabitz

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 12:54 AM »

Cheesy  Cheesy  Cheesy  ROTFLMAO

Rhonda might disagree with you there, but she seems to appreciate me overall, guess I manage to tip the scales just a bit to the plus side  Wink

Maybe all of Rhonda's hard work is finally paying off? lol

Whatever the case, you did good this time.

Nancy

madhabitz

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 01:00 AM »

So I'm going to wait a few months with the kite I have and hope to pick up the Hypnotist before next spring.  Thanks for all the tips so far!

Practice practice practice!! ;-)

mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 07:51 AM »

Check back in that couple months after scouting the area on the kite recommendations, if your winds are not good because of geographic features you can't get away from there may be better kites for you then the Hypnotist. It's a fine kite, Prism is a great company and the DVD is a plus but the Hypnotist needs more & smoother winds then some others to really perform. After scouting the area, getting a few more hours on your current kite and hopefully meeting up with some others in your area to experience a few different kites you'll have a better handle on what you truly need and want. In the meantime put a few more coins in the piggy bank, the consensus seems to be that you would be better served with a 7+ foot kite like the Hypnotist and there are many choices for quality kites in that mid price range.

doddg

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 08:28 AM »

Welcome to the Prism forum! Here you will get recommendations for Prism since it is the featured kite company by GWTW for many years.

If you have not bought a prism kite yet, give me a call, I will hook you up with a dvd and a good flying sport kite this week. I live in York, maybe we can meet half way, in Lancaster maybe. Or I can meet you at my favorite kite field at Sam Lewis State Park in York County. I have a few used Skydog Sport Kites would gladly give you one for free.
717 515 2528 Dodd.
mikenchico
Board Moderator

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2011, 09:09 AM »

Getting to meet with Dodd is as good as it gets. He is the  author of the other popular tutorial DVD, a great instructor and a well respected kite designer currently working with Skydog Kites. His designs for Skydog are recieving good reviews and the company was started by people with years of experience in the kite industry. If you can hook up with him it's an opportunity I wouldn't miss

Steve
Global Moderator
Trade Count: (+39)

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2011, 05:31 PM »

Welcome to the Prism forum! Here you will get recommendations for Prism since it is the featured kite company by GWTW for many years.
Really Dodd?

Steve ... Ancient One
-look to the sky with imagination, grasp the wind with outstretched arms and take flight
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

items purchased through the links below help support the forum

Cal Custom

Our forum is made possible by the good folks whose ads appear below and by the members of our community (PayPal donation button at bottom)
In case you missed it each ad is linked to the sponsors web site.  So please, take a moment and visit our sponsors sites as this forum wouldn't be possible with out them.
Interested in running an ad for your business or kiting event?  Contact Steve at advertise.gwtwkites@gmail.com for a quote.

kmacFab
kmacFab

Kite Classifieds Ad
Kite Classifieds

A Wind Of Change
A Wind Of Change

Kitebookie
Kitebookie.com

Untitled Document

Untitled Document
Untitled Document

Untitled Document